Launch Member

Contributor I

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
McCutcheon
Member #

I currently live in Kentucky and I am moving to northern California for a job. I am very excited.

In Kentucky we don't have emission laws. I am selling both my truck and car before the move. Does anyone have any advise on makes, models and vehicle age that pass the emission laws with out any issues? I could buy a new vehicle if I have to, however I'd prefer something used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using OB Talk mobile app

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

If you buy from any new or used car dealership here it will pass. If you go private party then make sure you get it checked before you buy... if it's tags are current that doesn't necessarily mean that it's legal because you can still get a pass if you know the right people, but that's getting harder to do now days.

Anything gas pre 1975 is exempt and anything pre 1998 diesel is too.

Happy hunting! [emoji5]

Rustyburbin from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

RockRanger

Rank 0

Contributor II

Like above 1975 and older don't smog at all for gas. Smog tests are every two years for cars over I think 4 years old. There are a few zip codes in CA that only smog on by and sell. My parents live in one of the them in southern CA. Honestly if your vehicle is running right it should pass smog fine as long as the motor is stock or only approved mods that have the proper documentation. My wifes cj7 got to the point it wouldn't pass smog because the motor was worn out. We did a CA legal motor swap to an efi motor and now smog it every two years no problem.

Reactions: Rusty burbin

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I need to replace the cats on my D2. There's no aftermarket option that is CA certified, so it looks like I'll be forking over a grand for a complete Y pipe. Something to keep in mind if buying an older vehicle. My truck is a 2001 MY with 205,000 miles on it.

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

I've seen a lot, read A LOT of older model Toyota trucks/SUVs in CA.

Mine is nearing 200k and passes every other year like a champ.

Nearly every gardener in SoCal drives an even older model, and unless they "know a guy" - so are theirs.

Newer models (2005+) I cannot speak for.

-CP TACO
OB #2376

Reactions: Rusty burbin

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

If you are buying used from private seller in CA the seller is responsible to have and provide the SMOG cert. If they are unwilling or able walk away. If there are aftermarket engine modification make sure they all have CARB stickers on them which are required for SMOG in the case you decided not to walk away.
General Rules:
SMOG every two years (Pre-1975 exempt) Grey Market 1967, Diesel Pre-1998 Exempt (Imported Grey market 1979)
6 or less years old you will not need to get a SMOG but CA will charge you an abatement fee.

If there is any question that you have a car with mods that are not CARB legal and you don't mind selling it before you move, I'd sell it and buy something in CA. my $0.02

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

See the CA DMV site, really any late model vechile will need to pass smog. This whole friend thing as noted above is very unlikely and will get you in trouble. Don't even consider this as an option. Not that anyone pointed in that direction. Passing smog is a big deal, older models or high milage often start to have failures of the sensors. That is an expensive issue. Cat converters are also expensive. Look into premature failures for any vechile you may want. Dodge is having a huge problem with this on certain Cummings Deisels. For the most part you should not have an issue. I think your bigger issue is just buying used out here. Be careful and always check the vechile background, and point of manufactuer and orginal point of sale.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

What are the rules on registered addresses? Would it be possible to get a PO box in the neighboring state and have it registered there?

Apparently Maine has a program that lets you do that with trailers.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

California is well aware that people do that. There are a set of complicated rules and having proper license plates and insurance. A P.O. Box will not work. You have to have a residence that you live in, and not a rental. You get caught and it will cost you.

Reactions: YETI X and 1derer

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Another tool that might be of value to someone looking to buy a vehicle in Kali is the smog check history:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx

This can tell you how well a particular vehicle has fared over the years, and perhaps even how often it has changed owners. For instance, my Cherokee was smog tested on 03/10, 02/11, 06/12 and 08/13. That represents at least three changes in ownership over four years. Odds are good that represents some unhappy owners. In the case of my Cherokee I suspect the previous owners were not able to identify and resolve issues with the headlights and fuel pump.

What you would prefer to find is that the vehicle simply passes smog once every two years, in pretty much the same month of the year each time.

Reactions: Gary Stevens