Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Put in 475 miles over 3 days and pretty much covered Prather to Oakhurst. Heavy law enforcement around Millerton and Bass Lakes. Forest Road 81 (Minarets Rd) pretty deserted. Some day trippers, some fisherman, and some campers. Everyone encountered had a "minding their own business" attitude. 81 from North Fork to end is open but lots of downed trees to pass, go slow, and once on dirt there is still snow in shady spots that became impassible on 31s. Most, but not all, trail gates locked.
Camped 3 days, probably nobody for a few square miles and we looked to be the first campers of the year. Found prime spot along a creek behind Jackass Rock. Had to cut some trees out of the road to get there. Only one truck came by in 3 days.
Unable to reach Beashore Rd from Bass lake while exploring on Sunday. A 1 ton 4x4 dully with KM3s was stuck to the axles in snow blocking the road. Lots of empty ATV trailers and 4x4s along the way. A pack of Sheriffs on dirt bikes passed several times but our camp load was stuffed behind tinted windows and nothing on the roof. Did not try Fresno Dome area or Fishcamp, it was getting a little too "hot" around the easy access points.
A lot of people are playing in the forest, isolating in real isolation. It is our National Land. Be safe and do what you got to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R and Narbob

Seanrob

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Put in 475 miles over 3 days and pretty much covered Prather to Oakhurst. Heavy law enforcement around Millerton and Bass Lakes. Forest Road 81 (Minarets Rd) pretty deserted. Some day trippers, some fisherman, and some campers. Everyone encountered had a "minding their own business" attitude. 81 from North Fork to end is open but lots of downed trees to pass, go slow, and once on dirt there is still snow in shady spots that became impassible on 31s. Most, but not all, trail gates locked.
Camped 3 days, probably nobody for a few square miles and we looked to be the first campers of the year. Found prime spot along a creek behind Jackass Rock. Had to cut some trees out of the road to get there. Only one truck came by in 3 days.
Unable to reach Beashore Rd from Bass lake while exploring on Sunday. A 1 ton 4x4 dully with KM3s was stuck to the axles in snow blocking the road. Lots of empty ATV trailers and 4x4s along the way. A pack of Sheriffs on dirt bikes passed several times but our camp load was stuffed behind tinted windows and nothing on the roof. Did not try Fresno Dome area or Fishcamp, it was getting a little too "hot" around the easy access points.
A lot of people are playing in the forest, isolating in real isolation. It is our National Land. Be safe and do what you got to do.
Hey there. Thanks for the write up. I'm in the Bay Area and looking for a good day trip for me and my daughter. Can you give me some advice on doing a portion of your rout? Also what sort of road conditions I might encounter. Any serious obsticals?

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Hey there. Thanks for the write up. I'm in the Bay Area and looking for a good day trip for me and my daughter. Can you give me some advice on doing a portion of your rout? Also what sort of road conditions I might encounter. Any serious obsticals?
Most of the trip was on pavement due to so many locked gates. Scenic Byway 81 (Minarets Rd up from North Fork is a nice day trip, with a lot of beautiful views). Came in through Madera and passed Millerton Lake, and went to Prather-Auberry area.
From there we headed to North Fork by way of Powerhouse Rd. At North Fork we headed up the forest - Italian bar Rd to Mammoth Rd to Minarets Rd all the way up to just past the Jackass Creak Bridge. We headed into the forest just up from the bridge to the left and drove backcountry looking at camping spots until we finally came across too many down trees in one spot to deal with. We doubled back and found a great spot right on Jackass Creek. The paved road became littered with down trees cut to one open lane, go slow. Once on dirt, we would have not gone far without chain saws. A lot of downed trees.

Sunday we headed up and attempted Beashore Rd not far above where we camped, but didn't go far due to remaining snow banks. Crusty on top prevents plowing through it, and deep enough that once you fall through the crust you are up to axles or floorboards. But the snow is going fast so maybe a week later there might be less. Doubling back to North Fork we took Rd 274 to Bass Lake and headed up Beashore Rd from the Lake. Mt Raymond entrances and Chiqiuta (sp?) campground roads off of Beashore were open, but we did not explore. Way up the mountain snow was encountered again and road was blocked waiting for them to dig out (A dully tried to pull the dully out and the tow strap snapped). Doubled back and headed to Oakhurst and at that point it was late in the day and there was a lot of law enforcement keeping track of the road up to Fishcamp- Yosemite Gate. Ran out of time, did not try Sky ranch road into the forest.

Even though it is mostly pavement, recommend heading to North Fork as direct as you can and head up Minaret road as far as you can go. The views and fresh air are incredible. Arrow shows about where we camped. Between where this pic was taken at the overlook and where we camped, there are a lot of forest roads with no gates. We did not have time to explore but a number of them looked like maybe easy to moderate terrain. Zero law enforcement up that high when we were there.

mammoth pools.PNG

Seanrob

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Most of the trip was on pavement due to so many locked gates. Scenic Byway 81 (Minarets Rd up from North Fork is a nice day trip, with a lot of beautiful views). Came in through Madera and passed Millerton Lake, and went to Prather-Auberry area.
From there we headed to North Fork by way of Powerhouse Rd. At North Fork we headed up the forest - Italian bar Rd to Mammoth Rd to Minarets Rd all the way up to just past the Jackass Creak Bridge. We headed into the forest just up from the bridge to the left and drove backcountry looking at camping spots until we finally came across too many down trees in one spot to deal with. We doubled back and found a great spot right on Jackass Creek. The paved road became littered with down trees cut to one open lane, go slow. Once on dirt, we would have not gone far without chain saws. A lot of downed trees.

Sunday we headed up and attempted Beashore Rd not far above where we camped, but didn't go far due to remaining snow banks. Crusty on top prevents plowing through it, and deep enough that once you fall through the crust you are up to axles or floorboards. But the snow is going fast so maybe a week later there might be less. Doubling back to North Fork we took Rd 274 to Bass Lake and headed up Beashore Rd from the Lake. Mt Raymond entrances and Chiqiuta (sp?) campground roads off of Beashore were open, but we did not explore. Way up the mountain snow was encountered again and road was blocked waiting for them to dig out (A dully tried to pull the dully out and the tow strap snapped). Doubled back and headed to Oakhurst and at that point it was late in the day and there was a lot of law enforcement keeping track of the road up to Fishcamp- Yosemite Gate. Ran out of time, did not try Sky ranch road into the forest.

Even though it is mostly pavement, recommend heading to North Fork as direct as you can and head up Minaret road as far as you can go. The views and fresh air are incredible. Arrow shows about where we camped. Between where this pic was taken at the overlook and where we camped, there are a lot of forest roads with no gates. We did not have time to explore but a number of them looked like maybe easy to moderate terrain. Zero law enforcement up that high when we were there.

View attachment 152648
Wow! Dang son... that was a great description of where you went on your trip. I appreciate it a lot! I'm gonna have to head down that way and check it all out. Thanks again. Be safe. I hope every one is well in your orbit.