Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
They're very pretty, always freshly washed and waxed lol my point was, though, that they aren't original anymore. I'm sure they are great vehicles, but there're so many other 4x4 vehicles out there that are just as capable as well as a bit more unique.
Cuz theyre badass.
Come to Park City UT, between Tacos and JKUs there’s gotta be a half dozen “built” rigs in EVERY parking lot! There are more shiny new hi-lifts hanging on these than in a Tractor Supply store. And that’s not an exaggeration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Travis Rhyno

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

What models have you owned?
Yamaha 360 Enduro
Several Sand Rails - while in Tucson
Several FJ40's - 72, 74, 76, 78, (an 82 I owned for one day) - one was new, the others used, one a trailer queen.
74/5 Cosworth Motor, Chevy Vega - died in a SCCA rally
78 Pre-Supra, Celica -sold for more, than we bought it for new.
1988 62 series, bought new, still have.
65 Ford 150 4X4 Camper Special - sold it and the 74 FJ40 to the same person
VW Quantum Wagon, 5 Cylinder Audi, 5 Speed, Qutro AWD
two Front Wheel OLDS Cutless both with over 100K when sold
Mazda 626 with 200K when Trans finally went
2006 Subaru Forester - traded-in as part of Down for new Tacoma, 189K on OD.
Oh and the two Leased RR, LR - an 82 Disco 1, 85 LR110..... these two vehicles returned me to Toyota.
New too us 2018 Tacoma DC, SB, TRD Offroad - under 200 miles on the OD.
David

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Yamaha 360 Enduro
Several Sand Rails - while in Tucson
Several FJ40's - 72, 74, 76, 78, (an 82 I owned for one day) - one was new, the others used, one a trailer queen.
74/5 Cosworth Motor, Chevy Vega - died in a SCCA rally
78 Pre-Supra, Celica -sold for more, than we bought it for new.
1988 62 series, bought new, still have.
65 Ford 150 4X4 Camper Special - sold it and the 74 FJ40 to the same person
VW Quantum Wagon, 5 Cylinder Audi, 5 Speed, Qutro AWD
two Front Wheel OLDS Cutless both with over 100K when sold
Mazda 626 with 200K when Trans finally went
2006 Subaru Forester - traded-in as part of Down for new Tacoma, 189K on OD.
Oh and the two Leased RR, LR - an 82 Disco 1, 85 LR110..... these two vehicles returned me to Toyota.
New too us 2018 Tacoma DC, SB, TRD Offroad - under 200 miles on the OD.
David
That’s quite a list, I was referring to the Land Rovers but wasn’t clear about that. Didn’t the Disco start in ‘89? You must have meant a Range Rover Classic? Pretty night and day difference from the mid 80’s ‘til now. There might be a few in there that aren’t a complete waste of money. Glad you like your Toyotas as much as I like my LR3.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

That’s quite a list, I was referring to the Land Rovers but wasn’t clear about that. Didn’t the Disco start in ‘89? You must have meant a Range Rover Classic? Pretty night and day difference from the mid 80’s ‘til now. There might be a few in there that aren’t a complete waste of money. Glad you like your Toyotas as much as I like my LR3.
YES, my error... Disco 1, came out after we purchased the 88 62 Series LandCruiser... Thanks for the correction.

Unbeatentrack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cumberland, Rhode Island
Member #

I love Toyota's, and I respect Jeeps. I happen to own/drive Land Rovers. I stick with them because I've invested time and effort in knowing about them, peripheral parts from one will fit on the next one etc. I could easily have the same relationship with another brand, but I'm kind of happy with my choice - and I'm a Brit so it fits.

Basing a decision on reliability alone is a strange one. I've owned many vehicles with reliability issues (including a brand new Porsche with multiple issues straight from the showroom), and while it's a contributory factor to the experience, I don't aspire to own something akin to plumbing - something that's easy to ignore unless it breaks.

And I don't know what Rover products would be comparable to a Tundra - or a Tacoma. They are pick-ups - only Defenders or old Series trucks come as a pick-up and I still wouldn't call them comparable. My wife had a Tacoma for a year, she liked it, I liked it, but she decided she didn't need a pick-up because the interior space was compromised (you know, because it was a pick-up)

I would hesitate spending only $2,000 on any Rover product and then expect it to be as reliable as a brand new Toyota (I'd hesitate spending that little on any vehicle with that expectation, including a Toyota) - that really isn't a fair comparison. You might get lucky, but it'd be a very long shot or you'd spend a lot of time looking. Better to spend $15 to $20k on a well looked after vehicle (LR / Toyota / whatever) and modifying it your needs - slowly, over time. That way, you buy/attach the stuff you really want and need, and don't waste money buying crap you think you want (i.e. shiny new hi-lift jack and shovel attachment)

And I would set-aside budget / money to properly maintain and service your vehicle (either yourself, or pay the premium to have somebody else do it). Any vehicle will break when used off-road and then not maintained.

Other advice relevant to original question:
  • There are many more after-market products and support for the Toyota products (Tacoma and FJ probably more than the Tundra) than for Land Rovers. And there are many more products for Jeeps than Toyotas
  • Land Rovers and Range Rovers have developed significantly over the years. Ask for advice on particular models to understand what's desirable / undesirable. There are some wonderful gems and some woeful dogs, but this goes for any marque frankly
  • Mainstream Land Rover dealerships won't like you. It's a real shame, but I never get a warm feeling when I go to one in a LR product that bears the scars of being used for what it was designed for. BUT, there are some awesome independent suppliers and garages (depending on your location) - check out Bill Davies at GBR in Salt Lake City, he's a legend in the US Land Rover community
  • If you're not a mechanic now, owning a Land Rover will make you one - but this is a good thing!

Good luck - exciting time to build a new vehicle!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort and Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I love Toyota's, and I respect Jeeps. I happen to own/drive Land Rovers. I stick with them because I've invested time and effort in knowing about them, peripheral parts from one will fit on the next one etc. I could easily have the same relationship with another brand, but I'm kind of happy with my choice - and I'm a Brit so it fits.

Basing a decision on reliability alone is a strange one. I've owned many vehicles with reliability issues (including a brand new Porsche with multiple issues straight from the showroom), and while it's a contributory factor to the experience, I don't aspire to own something akin to plumbing - something that's easy to ignore unless it breaks.

And I don't know what Rover products would be comparable to a Tundra - or a Tacoma. They are pick-ups - only Defenders or old Series trucks come as a pick-up and I still wouldn't call them comparable. My wife had a Tacoma for a year, she liked it, I liked it, but she decided she didn't need a pick-up because the interior space was compromised (you know, because it was a pick-up)

I would hesitate spending only $2,000 on any Rover product (I'd hesitate spending that little on any vehicle) and expect it to be as reliable as a brand new Toyota. That really isn't a fair comparison. You might get lucky, but it'd be a very long shot or you'd spend a lot of time looking. Better to spend $15 to $20k on a well looked after vehicle (LR / Toyota / whatever) and modifying it your needs - slowly, over time. That way, you buy/attach the stuff you really want and need, and don't waste money buying crap you think you want (i.e. shiny new hi-lift jack and shovel attachment)

And I would set-aside budget / money to properly maintain and service your vehicle (either yourself, or pay the premium to have somebody else do it). Any vehicle will break when used off-road, and then not maintained.

Other advice relevant to original question:
  • There is much more after-market products and support for the Toyota products (Tacoma and FJ probably more than the Tundra) than for Land Rovers.
  • Land Rovers and Range Rovers have developed significantly over the years. Ask for advice on particular models to understand what's desirable / undesirable. There are some wonderful gems and some woeful dogs, but this goes for any marque frankly
  • Mainstream Land Rover dealerships won't like you. It's a real shame, but I never get a warm feeling when I go to one in a LR product that bears the scars of being used for what it was designed for. BUT, there are some awesome independent suppliers and garages (depending on your location) - check out Bill Davies at GBR in Salt Lake City
  • If you're not a mechanic now, owning a Land Rover will make you one - but this is a good thing!

Good luck - exciting time to build a new vehicle!
Outstanding response....:sunglasses:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Everyone is going to tell you to look at their favorite rig! Any Toyota or Jeep model that you like would be a good option. I would not buy new tell you know exactly the vehicle that will be just the ticket. For that matter, I would still not buy anything new, but that is just me. I drive a Jeep Cherokee XJ now, but had and loved my Toyota FZJ 80 Land Cruiser. Many people will tell you X, Y and Z is a great brand too. What do you drive now. There is a good chance it will work for now, just get out and do some trips camping on the way. Even a car will work and then as you do so, you will learn what you need and what you want to make things better. Hope this helps! Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Prius will get you out and started. I still only use a ground tent. Just get out and go camping, you will find what works and what does not for your own style of Overlanding. Benz.

Reactions: SubeeBen