janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
Hey y'all, we're clearing the slate and starting over on a new build. Zeroing in on a new truck, probably a Ram 2500 gasser. We're likely going to be living out of the rig for 4 or 5 months out of the year. We also like going deep into the toolies and hanging out for 10 to 14 days without having to come out and stock up on consumables. For our style of travel, payload is king. Because of all that, we've landed on a flatbed style camper. I like the idea of buying a shell like Total Composites and building out the interior ourselves.

I started pricing out some sweet-as flatbed trays but the sexy overland-ish flatbed trays are running $12k to $15k and up. I'd love to have the fancy boxes and the water tank and the six foot drawer that slides out the rear but not at that price. Ranchers, contractors, farmers can't be paying that much for a simple flatbed tray, right? Curious if anyone has some recommendations on budget (preferably aluminum) flatbed trays that aren't eye-wateringly expensive?

Reactions: NMNomad

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Being a farmer I buy a couple flatbeds every few years and the price has definitely gone up in the last 5 years. What used to be a $3k bed is now close to $5k, I've never bought any aluminum beds but I'm sure they go for a bit more then mild steel. If you're looking for aluminum flatbeds checkout Luft trailer in Ellensburg, they sell CM beds and I know they make some in aluminum. If you are ok with steel and looking for something more custom look into Jay Coil fabrication in Heppner OR. They have their basic bed they start with but can add different racks and boxes to it to make it fit your needs. I have one I bought 2nd hand on my work truck and they're a solid flatbed. It seems to be plenty stout and maybe on the heavy side but I'm sure you could work with them to remove some things you don't need like gooseneck hitch to lighten it up. From what I've seen if you're dead set on the sweet ass overland trays then there is only 2 options, pay the overland tax of $12-$15k for it or build it yourself. But If those aren't an option I think there are some decent production flatbeds you can get then bolt on extra storage and boxes once you have your camper setup on it. Or check out some fab shops to see what they can build custom for you.

Reactions: janders and NMNomad

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
Being a farmer I buy a couple flatbeds every few years and the price has definitely gone up in the last 5 years. What used to be a $3k bed is now close to $5k, I've never bought any aluminum beds but I'm sure they go for a bit more then mild steel. If you're looking for aluminum flatbeds checkout Luft trailer in Ellensburg, they sell CM beds and I know they make some in aluminum. If you are ok with steel and looking for something more custom look into Jay Coil fabrication in Heppner OR. They have their basic bed they start with but can add different racks and boxes to it to make it fit your needs. I have one I bought 2nd hand on my work truck and they're a solid flatbed. It seems to be plenty stout and maybe on the heavy side but I'm sure you could work with them to remove some things you don't need like gooseneck hitch to lighten it up. From what I've seen if you're dead set on the sweet ass overland trays then there is only 2 options, pay the overland tax of $12-$15k for it or build it yourself. But If those aren't an option I think there are some decent production flatbeds you can get then bolt on extra storage and boxes once you have your camper setup on it. Or check out some fab shops to see what they can build custom for you.
That was super helpful, thanks!