Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Received my GMRS-V1 on November 1st. Fully charged, so now it's ready for "go mode". I'm on the road for plenty of hours during the days (weekday work and weekend road rips). WROG839
Looking forward to your thoughts/evaluation of it after using it a bit...

Reactions: TSO_NJ

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If the performance is not what you expected keep in mind that it's not likely the radio as much as it is using a handheld from inside a vehicle.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
If the performance is not what you expected keep in mind that it's not likely the radio as much as it is using a handheld from inside a vehicle.
This. I ran a uv-5r for two years as my primary radio. It worked great from inside the vehicle. I had it hooked up to a battery eliminator and external antenna. Still going strong, but I use it as a handheld radio now, as I have Midland mxt275 radios in both rigs now.

From what I can tell, this radio is just a locked down version of the uv-5 series that can only broadcast on gmrs frequencies. I don't think you can swap antennas though, which is unfortunate.

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
I plan to obtain a ham radio license in the near future for covering long distances (over the hill and down the valley).

Any recommendations on compact, reliable, and easy to install mobile ham radio units?
The possibilities are almost endless. Which radio can also dependent on how you want to use it as a ham, such as with DMR, DSTAR, Fusion, APRS, etc. (all modes and functions of ham radio) Your specific vehicle has bearing on "easy to install".

If you're looking to start with simple VHF/UHF (personally I recommend starting with a dual band, provides more options from the start), I like the Yaesu radios. I have an FTM-400 in my Jeep and an FTM-300 at home, but could also easily be put in the Jeep. Both have a head/control unit that can be separated for mounting in/on/in front of the dash while looking out for airbags, visibility, etc. And the main radio can be elsewhere, mine is under the passenger seat. I'm sure Icom and Kenwood have units with similar features as well, typically hams have their favorites.
This thread Let's see some HAM setups in your rigs has a bunch of variety in vehicles, radios, and their setups.