MMett

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mettler
My wife and I have a badlands bronco on order. I know it’s the cool, hot rig right now. But we are a little tired of waiting and considering a 4Runner TRD off-road. It will be her daily, though she only drives about 9000 miles a year. We also have a 3 year old. So that plays into road trips. What’s everyone’s opinions?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Havent touched the new Bronco but drove a current generation Toyota 4Runner 2600 miles to Fla and back. It was a great ride. 3 people, a Beagle and our luggage and gear and no complaints about the vehicle at all.

Reactions: Billiebob

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

I have a 2018 4runner TRD Offroad... One of the things I liked about it was that not being the first model year of a model (or generation) there was a fairly clear maintenance/reliability record.

Overall, this might be the best vehicle decision I've made in 40 years.

Reactions: Billiebob

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Proven to be going downhill, sadly.

4runners ain't what the used to be. Spend some time on the Yota forums and see where they're going wrong now.

I'd take the unproven Bronco or Gladiators, if I was into midsized. The rangers seem to be doing fine.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
The Broncos will take a couple years to work through their growing pains. For now, I'd take a 4Runner.

In a couple years, Broncos will be on track, and Toyota will have shifted 4Runner production to Mexico. At that point, I'd pick the Bronco.

ChapEJF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Everett
Last Name
Franklin
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hard choice and tough to wait for the Bronco when the 4Runner is such a capable rig. Love the 4Runner TRD Off Road and almost bought one but chose to alter my Bronco order (dropped from Badlands to OBX w/soft top) and I took delivery last week. No off pavement time yet but my 1200 mile road trip home proved to me that it is a great road trip vehicle. Reasons why I opted for the Bronco over the 4Runner and Wrangler: drive/ride, engine responsiveness, tech, and a bit of "it's the cool new hotness."

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

I recently got a 2021 4Runner Venture, and I’ve taken it on a 3 week trip to Idaho and Wyoming (from CA). Overall, I’m very happy with it, and I’m excited to build it out.

It’s very capable off road in stock form and the vast aftermarket support makes it an excellent Overlanding platform, which is why I picked it. If you go with the 4Runner, I don’t think you will be disappointed. There is strong demand for used 4Runners too, so if you end up changing your mind you could probably unload it with no difficulty and minimal depreciation.

On-road, however, it is merely adequate. Its big weakness is the transmission. It is practically antique and objectively terrible. Slow shifts, hunting for gears, all the things I hate about automatics. Modern ATs, like the 10-speed in the Bronco, are almost magical in comparison. This is less of an issue at slow speeds and off road, but on the highway, especially on hills when heavily loaded, I definitely notice, and wish it was better. This may or may not be important to you, but it’s something to consider.

Kris

MMett

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mettler
I appreciate all the feedback. My wife and I had a bronco demo for a weekend. It was a blast to drive and we loved it. However, it falls short in towing and practicality. And after looking over at the bronco forums, there have been a few with catastrophic issues and I’m afraid they will be problematic for a bit. I’m not one to buy new cars, but the resale and reliability of a 4Runner speaks well to my inner adult.

Reactions: ChapEJF

ChapEJF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Everett
Last Name
Franklin
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Well, we went with a 4Runner TRD off road premium. So far my wife loves it. I’m happy with the decision because I fell like I can trust it down the line.
Congrats and great choice. That is the best trim IMHO and love that color!