Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

What about Late April, or may? A spring meet up and camp out somewhere central... as long as winter goes away!
I'm doing French Mines with a friend from San Diego on April 28th and 29th, before he goes on a cruise to Alaska. That's not really central, though.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

For what it's worth, I've heard that vehicle access onto the upper stope at the French Mine has been fenced or gated off. It's still a great area to visit and hike around. It is unfortunate, as the area loses it's secrecy more and more people who don't hold the area with the same level of respect have sought it out, and as you can see the graffiti has started. It is sad, I've been visiting the area for over 10 years now, and really hate to see the remaining pieces of local history vandalized.

Sent from the Mountains

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

For what it's worth, I've heard that vehicle access onto the upper stope at the French Mine has been fenced or gated off. It's still a great area to visit and hike around. It is unfortunate, as the area loses it's secrecy more and more people who don't hold the area with the same level of respect have sought it out, and as you can see the graffiti has started. It is sad, I've been visiting the area for over 10 years now, and really hate to see the remaining pieces of local history vandalized.

Sent from the Mountains
Is that right? That is good information, because it would be a bummer to get up there and have that trouble. Is it fenced off near the turn off by the old truck carcass and old fenced in pasture area?

And on that subject, can you recommend any other areas to explore around Princeton/Hedley/Tulameen?

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Is that right? That is good information, because it would be a bummer to get up there and have that trouble. Is it fenced off near the turn off by the old truck carcass and old fenced in pasture area?

And on that subject, can you recommend any other areas to explore around Princeton/Hedley/Tulameen?
I don't know where or how it is fenced off. I read it on another forum. I'd imagine right at the entrance to the stope. There should still be walking access to all of the other lower mine entrances. It's still likely worth the adventure.
There are a ton of places to explore in the area. I'll get back with some places when I have a minute.

I don't know if you are familiar with the lower access road to the French Mine? If you know where the upper one is (that leads to the stope) then head down the Nickle Plate rd and look for a trial off a couple switchbacks down the hill. This is a nicer track, with a great view. There is one tight spot to get past a boulder, but aside from that its all good. This leads to the lower working of the French Mine. You can hike around for hours searching out the adit entrances, and hike up to the upper stope area from here too. (There is one adit entrance that has a functioning door and still has an old miners jacket hanging beside it - it has been that way for years, and i hope it still there).

There is also the "Creepy Cabin" to search out and explore. If you head back up the main Nickle Plate road, keep an eye out for some very strange homemade signs on the left side. You won't miss them, it's pretty strange. There may be an old couch beside, or blocking the trail as well. Head down that trial and you will find an old abandoned cabin sitting over the creek. It is very cool, and very, very creepy. It has/had an operational waterwheel at one point. Here is the word of warning - directly across the creek is an old homestead cabin, that may be occupied by someone. The rumors abound as to the inhabitant, and his friendliness (or lack thereof). I'd suggest steering clear if it looks like the old cabin is inhabited. Last time we went up there, there were tow very loud dogs inside the cabin that did not seem they would be overly friendly if they were released.

If you head up the Nickle Plate rd not far from there, look for a track to the right. If you follow this for awhile , it comes out into a large clearcut. (A view on Google Maps will help find this) If you stay to the right (towards the Similkameen Valley) and look past the clearcut you will find the old Good Hope Mine. If you look on the map, you'll see this mine and the French Mine likely shared the same vein. There are some adits and stuff to poke around at there as well.

If you head up the main Nickle plate Rd further, close to the old tailings ponds (around this mark: 49.351935, -120.031645) take the track off the main road and follow it along. the views are simple spectacular. This was an old tramway access line back in the day.

Sent from the Mountains

Last edited:
Reactions: PentictonJK

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I don't know where or how it is fenced off. I read it on another forum. I'd imagine right at the entrance to the stope. There should still be walking access to all of the other lower mine entrances. It's still likely worth the adventure.
There are a ton of places to explore in the area. I'll get back with some places when I have a minute.

I don't know if you are familiar with the lower access road to the French Mine? If you know where the upper one is (that leads to the stope) then head down the Nickle Plate rd and look for a trial off a couple switchbacks down the hill. This is a nicer track, with a great view. There is one tight spot to get past a boulder, but aside from that its all good. This leads to the lower working of the French Mine. You can hike around for hours searching out the adit entrances, and hike up to the upper stope area from here too. (There is one adit entrance that has a functioning door and still has an old miners jacket hanging beside it - it has been that way for years, and i hope it still there).

There is also the "Creepy Cabin" to search out and explore. If you head back up the main Nickle Plate road, keep an eye out for some very strange homemade signs on the left side. You won't miss them, it's pretty strange. There may be an old couch beside, or blocking the trail as well. Head down that trial and you will find an old abandoned cabin sitting over the creek. It is very cool, and very, very creepy. It has/had an operational waterwheel at one point. Here is the word of warning - directly across the creek is an old homestead cabin, that may be occupied by someone. The rumors abound as to the inhabitant, and his friendliness (or lack thereof). I'd suggest steering clear if it looks like the old cabin is inhabited. Last time we went up there, there were tow very loud dogs inside the cabin that did not seem they would be overly friendly if they were released.

Sent from the Mountains
I am familiar with the lower and upper trails. Is this the jacket you speak of? Was still hanging on the nail as of last year.

IMG_1830.jpg

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I am familiar with the lower and upper trails. Is this the jacket you speak of? Was still hanging on the nail as of last year.

View attachment 17684
Yeh, that's it. I think it's pretty cool. We've been a little ways in that adit (as far as I could feel a breeze). I've chatted with a guy who is a caver and he says he's explored miles of the internal workings.

One day while we were up exploring inside the upper stope area, a group of frazzled Quebecois fruit pickers came out of the mine. One of the gals with them was terrified and said they'd been inside for hours trying to find the upper exit. She did not look happy about he whole experience. They even had open flame torches with them to light the way, which could have caused a serious explosion if they found an old gas pocket somewhere.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Yeh, that's it. I think it's pretty cool. We've been a little ways in that adit (as far as I could feel a breeze). I've chatted with a guy who is a caver and he says he's explored miles of the internal workings.

One day while we were up exploring inside the upper stope area, a group of frazzled Quebecois fruit pickers came out of the mine. One of the gals with them was terrified and said they'd been inside for hours trying to find the upper exit. She did not look happy about he whole experience. They even had open flame torches with them to light the way, which could have caused a serious explosion if they found an old gas pocket somewhere.
It really is a crazy place. I have never been very deep into the Mine, I wasn't sure how far it went.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I've been looking at wanting to go up to Placer Lake for a weekend for a couple of years now. It's looks like a beauty spot to camp out. It's just finding the time. It seems our summer weekends are filling up already.

Sent from the Mountains

PentictonJK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

penticton
First Name
Jason
Last Name
S
Member #

I've been looking at wanting to go up to Placer Lake for a weekend for a couple of years now. It's looks like a beauty spot to camp out. It's just finding the time. It seems our summer weekends are filling up already.

Sent from the Mountains
ya sounds good id be up for that and rather close too

Reactions: trikebubble

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Sent from the Mountains
That sounds like a good place to go for a weekend. Perhaps we can organize something.