Brisket

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

@ArkansasDon Boy that’s a nice pit!
thanks I had that built in Texas, pit only. It sits on a Northern Tool 40"x48" trailer with 1\4" aluminum plate floor & built the aluminum plate shelf. It has a wood box made of expanded metal & I" angle iron up front. The blower system for the firebox is thermostatically controlled, you set the temperature you want to cook at walk away & all you have to do is feed the fire box when needed. Keeps temperature accurately within 7-10 degrees, usually on the higher side.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Thermostatically controlled fan... hmmmm.... I think I can work that into my design. Thanks for sharing!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I use these, are they are the best. http://theperfectdraft.com/

I'm on their Testimonials
Don wrote,
“I use manual mode to get my fire stoked at 1st, then I plug in the temp probe and set to auto mode to keep & maintain my temperature in the cooking chamber. The Perfect Draft: BBQ Blower is a GOD send for offset’s & vertical large pits. I love my perfect draft blower. I installed a yoder probe port on my offset cooker. I’ve tried 2 different after-market blower fans (pitmaster IQ & BBQ Guru) both couldnt handle my 20″ round firebox. The cordless feature & 17 hour charge is a dream. Thanks for the best BBQ blower fan Steve for offset’s & vertical’s pits.”

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I picked up another brisket to smoke tomorrow. Cheapest I’ve seen a prime brisket out here at $2.99 a pound. I used to pay $.99 - $1.59 in Texas. What’s brisket going for in your neck of the woods, @ArkansasDon ?

Reactions: TerryD

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I picked up another brisket to smoke tomorrow. Cheapest I’ve seen a prime brisket out here at $2.99 a pound. I used to pay $.99 - $1.59 in Texas. What’s brisket going for in your neck of the woods, @ArkansasDon ?
last few I bought @ Sam's Club in Little Rock ( mid Nov. 2018) was $42. & some change ea. for 18lbs Brisket. But we make our bi annual run to Little Rock from the mountains to picked up other meats too, 4 8lb pork butts, 6 packages of pork rib tips, couple packs of 2" thick cut pork chops, several twin packs of pork ribs (st louis cut), couple beef roast (pulled beef for Italian sandwiches) & couple 8lb pork loins. Beef is pricey

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
last few I bought @ Sam's Club in Little Rock ( mid Nov. 2018) was $42. & some change ea. for 18lbs Brisket. But we make our bi annual run to Little Rock from the mountains to picked up other meats too, 4 8lb pork butts, 6 packages of pork rib tips, couple packs of 2" thick cut pork chops, several twin packs of pork ribs (st louis cut), couple beef roast (pulled beef for Italian sandwiches) & couple 8lb pork loins. Beef is pricey
The grocery stores here sell brisket for $8.99lb!! Highway robbery!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Captain Chaos this is the smoker I take with us on our trips, Weber Smokey Mountain 18 otherwise know as bullet or WSM 18. I like this style for "me" because it large enough to BBQ cook enough meats for 2 family's or Sally & I. like the idea too it breaks down to 3 pieces w\o no tools to haul it on a camping trip & to be able to use the bottom section (firebox) as a grill (seen on the 1st photo). It grill's very nice too as seen in the photo. But as a BBQ smoker, it does an awesome job w\ fair amount of food too.

These photo's we were camping with our son & his family at two different lakes, I guess they like pee-paw's BBQ.
005.JPG 006.JPG 012.JPG 014.JPG

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Those are awesome pics ArkansasDon. A LOT of meat has been smoked on a Smokey Mountain. I have an Ace of Hearts - Good One Open n Range that I have owned for a long time. It does a great job.
Years ago I “invented” a rib rack without knowing it. I built this rack for cooking chicken wings, as most of what was cooked at gatherings in Minnesota was wings. The rack worked fantastic for wings, but ribs were far from my mind as I had only cooked ribs a handful of times.
I fell upon some hard times, and was looking to make ends meet. It was -30F one morning when I left the house to open my welding shop. For some reason, I wiped the snow off my Open Range, there was a sticker for Ace of Hearts Bbq right where that snow had been. I waited a few hours and called the number on that sticker and left a message. I didn’t think I would receive a call back.
Within the hour Chris Marks of Royal American Classic Bbq competition fame calls me. He asks how this rack hold and cooks ribs. I took a couple pics and sent them to him. He wanted to hold one. Could I send him one? I got into my pickup and drove 8 hours to Kansas City Missouri. He was interested. Sounds good, right? It was, for a while.
I made home racks for a while. And I loved it. But, this was 2008 and the economy was just about to turn. Ace of Hearts briefly had the Chinese build their pits, almost ruined them. I most built chain for ethanol plants, that went south. I ended up losing everything.
Well, a couple days ago I was at my local butcher who sells Ace of Hearts pits along with some darn good meat. We get to talking about pits and racks and such. He stops and says “Follow me.” So I did. In his back room he pulls out one of my racks.... I couldn’t believe it. He told me how much he liked them. But quality built racks are hard to sell to the public. Walmart sells ‘em for $9. He may want a few made for his personal pit.... we’ll see.
Here’s a pic Tim from Tim’s Special Cut Meats in Post Falls Idaho took of me holding a rack I built many years ago.

D9115E35-2FA0-44D7-B426-755C4036942C.jpeg

Sorry for the long post.