Blue Ridge Pkwy, Virginia - Overlanding Locations?

• HTML tutorial

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

It looks like Blue Ridge Pkwy campgrounds are closed due to COVID 19.

Any Virginians have advice on where I can camp or overland on or near the BRP? My timeframe is mid-June.

Thanks.

Frontieroffroad

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Virginia
First Name
michael
Last Name
morris
Member #

Flagpole knob, switzerlake, big levels Potts mountain crabtree falls are great only done a few of them but have heard good thing about them all

Reactions: SteveC-Pro4X

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

Flagpole knob, switzerlake, big levels Potts mountain crabtree falls are great only done a few of them but have heard good thing about them all
Is this area all RTT friendy? Not sure if too technical or too tight for land cruisers with RTT. Planning to visit/camp Flagpole Knob and surrounding areas.

Frontieroffroad

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Virginia
First Name
michael
Last Name
morris
Member #

Is this area all RTT friendy? Not sure if too technical or too tight for land cruisers with RTT. Planning to visit/camp Flagpole Knob and surrounding areas.
You should be ok from everything I know about it u might want to contact them and double check

Frontieroffroad

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Virginia
First Name
michael
Last Name
morris
Member #

Switzer Lake & Flagpole Knob are no problem for RTTs... just did that run in mid-May this year with our hard shell CVT & awning.
Thanks working on getting a rtt now for my frontier can a stock truck make it on those trails or would a lift be recommended

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Flagpole (and Switzer) can be done stock as long as you're not too loaded down. There are a couple spots you will likely scrape frame or need to hit with a bit more gusto but we just did it with a lifted 2wd in the group. Just be prepared that you might get a few pinstripes because the trail can be tight in places. Vertical clearance is good that an RTT isn't an issue.

I wouldn't touch Potts without a substantial lift and big tires because it's not a trail that's kind to longer wheelbases.

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

The Meadows at the top of Crabtree Falls. Lots of turn outs on the way up, most have fire pits. I bring a collapsible rake to clean up broken glass (some people are assholes) If you keep going it leads to Shoe Creek, ( fun 4x4 trail)

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

The Meadows at the top of Crabtree Falls. Lots of turn outs on the way up, most have fire pits. I bring a collapsible rake to clean up broken glass (some people are assholes) If you keep going it leads to Shoe Creek, ( fun 4x4 trail)
Sorry to revive an old post, but I had a question about the Shoe Creek Trail. In planning an upcoming trip through the area, I came across some old Forum Posts (see below) that mention a pair of locked gates on private property that separates the north portion of the trail from the south. Do you know if its open again?

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

It's been years since I've run that trail but the closures wouldn't surprise me. I do recall seeing yellow bollards put up to stop the 4X4 Idiots (some people just can't seem to respect the forest) from creating a hill climb every 100 yards. There is a cabin in the woods back there so the gates make sense. If you came in from the bottom there would be plenty of opportunity for some 4X4 fun before you got to the gates.

Reactions: mamalone200