Rank II

Enthusiast I

Texas, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Sdun
Member #

I bought a beefy bed rack for my 2021 Tacoma so I could put my Rooftop tent on it and go to mountain bike races with my son. Worked great! I have a Kuat bike rack for my trailer hitch.

I wanted more room, so I bought a over-landing trailer. My plan was to put the bike rack on the back of the trailer in the hitch. I didn’t realize that every bike rack manufacturer says that’s a bad idea and will void your bike rack warranty. Additionally, they say the stresses on the rack could cause structural failure while driving.

So I need to figure something out. I have two bikes to transport and one is carbon fiber so it needs to be held by the wheels.

The trailer hitch is so short that the space between the back of the truck and the front of the trailer is very short. A dual hitch or a rack between the vehicle and the trailer does not seem possible.

I’ve thought of a front hitch but it appears I’d have to cut my skid plate to get it to fit.

Is anyone aware of a bike rack I could attach to the top of my bed rack? Open to any ideas. I hate to remove my bed rack because I love the way it looks and I spent some $$$$. The crossbars on this rack are essentially 2x4. Appears to be too wide for racks I can find.

I plan to put my rooftop tent on the trailer so that space is taken.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I can’t see how what it’s hanging off of makes a difference to the rack. Having the trailer mounted hitch being stout enough is quite another matter.

Reactions: genocache

cstoon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Texas, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Sdun
Member #

I can’t see how what it’s hanging off of makes a difference to the rack. Having the trailer mounted hitch being stout enough is quite another matter.

Yeah…. It’s a thing. They say trailers sway more side to side and experience different vibrations. Guy from Kuat and Yakima told me they have heard of failures and bikes lying in the highway due to structural failure caused by racks being on the back of a trailer. Never would have thunk it. Messed up my whole plan.

Texas X Lander

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Bastrop, TX, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Willeford
Member #

I bought a beefy bed rack for my 2021 Tacoma so I could put my Rooftop tent on it and go to mountain bike races with my son. Worked great! I have a Kuat bike rack for my trailer hitch.

I wanted more room, so I bought a over-landing trailer. My plan was to put the bike rack on the back of the trailer in the hitch. I didn’t realize that every bike rack manufacturer says that’s a bad idea and will void your bike rack warranty. Additionally, they say the stresses on the rack could cause structural failure while driving.

So I need to figure something out. I have two bikes to transport and one is carbon fiber so it needs to be held by the wheels.

The trailer hitch is so short that the space between the back of the truck and the front of the trailer is very short. A dual hitch or a rack between the vehicle and the trailer does not seem possible.

I’ve thought of a front hitch but it appears I’d have to cut my skid plate to get it to fit.

Is anyone aware of a bike rack I could attach to the top of my bed rack? Open to any ideas. I hate to remove my bed rack because I love the way it looks and I spent some $$$$. The crossbars on this rack are essentially 2x4. Appears to be too wide for racks I can find.

I plan to put my rooftop tent on the trailer so that space is taken.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah…. It’s a thing. They say trailers sway more side to side and experience different vibrations. Guy from Kuat and Yakima told me they have heard of failures and bikes lying in the highway due to structural failure caused by racks being on the back of a trailer. Never would have thunk it. Messed up my whole plan.
I can’t think of the brand off the top of my head, but there is a rack that will mount to the sides of your bed rack, reducing the overall profile.

Chris_93694c

Rank II

Contributor III

Oyster Bay Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Czura
Member #

I'm looking for something like this - mount the bikes to the sides of the bed rack. Haven't figured out the bike mounts themselves yet...

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
I'm looking for something like this - mount the bikes to the sides of the bed rack. Haven't figured out the bike mounts themselves yet...
I use Max Modular Outboard Bike Mounts: MAX Modular Outboard Bike Mounts — Max-Modular - Truck Bed Racks

Raptor with Retrax and Bike Mounts, Eville -5.jpg

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Take it from someone who has ran a Kuat rack for years, they're quality, but not meant for off-road. I ended up dragging mine on rocks and removing some of the material in the anti-noise/sway knob. Still held up, but it's killer on the departure angle. 1UP seems to make the best option for a rack, both hitch and universal mount. For you, you could fab up some mounts to the bed rack or buy them. I've mulled over making a simple mount using a premade fork axle mount from Thule/Yakima/Kuat and fabbing up my own mount for that to attach, then fab up a simple mount for the rear wheel using a strap.

To touch on the trailer idea, I recently acquired a single axle trailer that I am considering modifying to be able to haul the bikes, dual sport/adv bike, gear, and a RTT. The idea is to make it a swiss army knife of trailers. I'd mount tool/utility boxes on it, make the bike and moto mounting "solutions" removable, and have a removable crossbar setup for the RTT. If it doesn't have great ground clearance already, I'd see what my options were for that. I'd also like to change the hubs to the same 5x150 bolt pattern as my TLC 100 series and snag 3 factory wheels for it and run the same sized tires if I can. But, this is all me dreaming with the trailer. Realistically, it won't see anything more extreme than some forestry roads, especially if it is loaded down with all of that gear.

Last edited:

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I use a Hollywood rack. I assemble it with the hitch adapter for my wife’s car or remove the adapter and replace with a 4 ft conduit when mounting the bikes in the bed. I’ve got thousands of miles including rough rocky terrain and washboards.

Attachments

Reactions: Sea Diamond

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Hi bikers/overlanders

If you have a tailgate mounted spare wheel Yakima make an awesome bike rack. Keeps the bikes up high and definitely built sturdy. We love ours.
What vehicle is that? It looks like an H3 hummer pickup with a Jeep Wrangler fibreglass top on it.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
What vehicle is that? It looks like an H3 hummer pickup with a Jeep Wrangler fibreglass top on it.
hi Jas

yup...probably never seen one of these before. It's a Baic BJ40L (2016)...a bit of a mutt in the auto world. Built in China...has a Saab 2.3l turbo coupled to a Japanese Aisin tranny and a Borgwarner transfercase. Roof is exactly that...a 3 piece frp detachable unit. Bought it 15 months ago with 81,000km for 13,000usd.

Put on 17,000km...so far so good ; )

Attachments

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

hi Jas

yup...probably never seen one of these before. It's a Baic BJ40L (2016)...a bit of a mutt in the auto world. Built in China...has a Saab 2.3l turbo coupled to a Japanese Aisin tranny and a Borgwarner transfercase. Roof is exactly that...a 3 piece frp detachable unit. Bought it 15 months ago with 81,000km for 13,000usd.

Put on 17,000km...so far so good ; )
Wow, that's awesome. Those fender flares really remind me of the H3 or the Chevy Avalanche.

I love it. Sick looking 4x4. Nice and boxy like it should be!