Big(ish) Trailer to follow the Big Van

• HTML tutorial

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Ol'righty! So the Van has been built mechanically (peruse thread at leisure) but as with before when upgrading to the van, life is changing and the family expanding!

So we got the smallest toy hauler I could find, a 2012 Carson Rebel 14-footer. She's the perfect size to match the van in length and width, and the interior is already built out so it'll be great for small kiddos:
39437f62bdd3630aca8678f9daa0c18c8344a8b1-1.jpg 9601a52c277808de32b86b2f6a9afcb34dc27a41-1.jpg
2012.JPG IMG_3777.JPG

I'm well aware it's not the typical Overland Trailer right now but I do have plans to change that. First and foremost we're going to use it to haul stuff (thus the toy hauler vs any other type of trailer). After that plans are as follow (in no particular order):
  • Upgraded/lifted independent suspension (maybe w/ matching for lug pattern if I can fab it)
  • Rock-sliders / armor for all four corners
  • Full length load bearing roof rack
  • upgrade to lithium ion batteries w/ solar on said roof rack
  • Composting toilet, remove black tank, double the fresh water capacity
  • Some sort of fold-away bunk beds rather than the single bed/dinette combo
We're not going to be as maneuverable as we once were with just the van, but our overall goal is extended off-grid travel for the whole family. There'll be sacrifices but I think it'll be a great combo and work well in the intended environment: desert and low mountains.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Cool trailer, I like it. Do be careful with the roof rack, that trailer is a wood frame type and the walls/roof are not really designed to carry much load.
If you off-road it much you will want to reseal it at least once year, the wood frames flex more than the aluminum and thi will cause leaks at the seams.
Other than those cautions I think you have a great trailer to get out there with the family. Have fun!