Rank III

Traveler III

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Hello Members, I’m looking to explore Big Bend State Park in Texas next year around this time.
I’ve been reading and watching videos. I plan on contacting the park for advice as suggested.
Anyone on here been there?

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

Couple of things I would say. First, everything is further apart than you think (which is why it's awesome) and secondly, you'll be by yourself a lot, so be prepared. Bonus comment, many of the routes will pinstripe your vehicle, so if you're worried about that, be flexible when choosing.

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

yeah, everything is spaced pretty far apart and most of the popular sites are at the end of long hikes. have good hiking shoes/boots and take some water along with you. its nothing too crazy, though.
we stayed at the rio grand villiage camp ground at the east end 3 yrs ago, it was first come first serve, but it looks like you need reservations now. unless it changed, the campground was only a rest room and NO showers. theres a store right before the rio village camp ground and they have a hot spot for phones and a gross shower. it was $2 for a 2 min shower and it was nasty in there...worse than the nastiest truck stop shower i have seen. the wife went one time and then we just showered with a bug sprayer at camp after that.

we went with the intention of boondocking, but we had to sign up at the ranger office first for a site and we didnt know where the sites were and if they were available, etc. so we ended up just using the camp ground.

there are a few gas stations in the park and the fuel prices were not really any higher than regular prices...i was expecting to get raped at the pump there, but didnt.
overall it is a very enjoyable place that is very remote, but still has enough stores and gas stations where you wont be in a bind if you forgot something...
You are discussing Big Bend National Park, not Big Bend Ranch State Park. The two are near each other, but the ranch is literally that, an old ranch converted to a state park and has no amenities. There is a ranger station and bunkhouse in the old ranch house location in the center but no gas or services available in the Ranch. The National Park is an awesome experience, but the Ranch is a whole different awesome experience.

Reactions: 85CivilianJeep

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
You are discussing Big Bend National Park, not Big Bend Ranch State Park. The two are near each other, but the ranch is literally that, an old ranch converted to a state park and has no amenities. There is a ranger station and bunkhouse in the old ranch house location in the center but no gas or services available in the Ranch. The National Park is an awesome experience, but the Ranch is a whole different awesome experience.
my bad...didnt realize there are two different parks. well, im going to pay closer attention then and see what members have to say and maybe check out the ranch state park in the future. we did black gap the year after big bend and liked that.
disregard my previous post...

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
^^^
Guale 2 is a great campsite! We spent a few weeks exploring the NP and the ranch.
You will want to have a decent 4x4 with good tires as the rocks are pretty sharp.
About mid April things start getting pretty warm and could potentially be life threatening. Bring plenty of water and some way to communicate with the outside world as there is no cell service.

Reactions: 85CivilianJeep

85CivilianJeep

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Golden
Member #

^^^
Guale 2 is a great campsite! We spent a few weeks exploring the NP and the ranch.
You will want to have a decent 4x4 with good tires as the rocks are pretty sharp.
About mid April things start getting pretty warm and could potentially be life threatening. Bring plenty of water and some way to communicate with the outside world as there is no cell service.
I’ll look up that camp site, appreciate the input!

85CivilianJeep

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Couple of things I would say. First, everything is further apart than you think (which is why it's awesome) and secondly, you'll be by yourself a lot, so be prepared. Bonus comment, many of the routes will pinstripe your vehicle, so if you're worried about that, be flexible when choosing.
Sounds like what I’ve been looking for! Thanks

85CivilianJeep

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Golden
Member #

^^^
I’m looking to go around next January-February

85CivilianJeep

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Golden
Member #

my bad...didnt realize there are two different parks. well, im going to pay closer attention then and see what members have to say and maybe check out the ranch state park in the future. we did black gap the year after big bend and liked that.
disregard my previous post...
All good! Lol

Reactions: grubworm

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

We just returned from a trip to both parks with the most of our stays in the Big Bend ranch state park. We stayed at both of the sites mentioned previously and loved both ----even with high winds at Guale#2 -- which is totally exposed but spectacular. Travel into the INTERIOR park is on a wide graded gravel road that any vehicle can traverse but once you move towards the majority of the campsites like Guale or Chorro Vista, the going gets real slow and they advise 4 wheel drive is recommended. I agree with them. We towed a small 9 ft trailer and it took us 1.5 hrs to go 8 miles and 2 hrs to go 10 miles. The ranger station in the middle of the state park has potable water, showers, and even an ice machine but we didn't find it open either of the days we passed. Those amenities were available even with the station un manned. AS mentioned--- no fuel is available in the ranch state park so allow for that in your planning. The other portion of the Ranch state park is the River road --- which follows the Rio Grande and has multiple camping areas along the route. Two visitor centers on either end of the park issues you the camping permits needed as well as provide current conditions updates. We stayed at Upper Madera camping area along the river road and found it a nice spot to stop on our way to the National park. Weather was magnificent ( late FEB ) although the WIND was a factor as mentioned. If you are looking for solitude and beautiful country and are self sufficient --- the Ranch will certainly meet you goals. We plan to go back and explore the east side of the Ranch state park as we didn't have time to go that far.
We only visited the National Park on a day trip and found the camping area in Chisos Basin very cramped .... learned there are many options for back country camping that can be discussed with the rangers at the visitor centers. If you go .... visit both areas and enjoy what they each have to offer.

a few pix
Guale #2----

IMG_2488.jpeg

Chorro Vista camp

IMG_2537.jpeg

Upper Madera campsite sunrise

IMG_2638.jpeg

all I can say is GO.... other stops on your way that you may like that we visited
Davis Mountains State Park-- FT Davis, TX
Terlingua, TX---
Santa Elena Canyon--- located in National Park ( south west corner )

Bart

85CivilianJeep

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Golden
Member #

We just returned from a trip to both parks with the most of our stays in the Big Bend ranch state park. We stayed at both of the sites mentioned previously and loved both ----even with high winds at Guale#2 -- which is totally exposed but spectacular. Travel into the INTERIOR park is on a wide graded gravel road that any vehicle can traverse but once you move towards the majority of the campsites like Guale or Chorro Vista, the going gets real slow and they advise 4 wheel drive is recommended. I agree with them. We towed a small 9 ft trailer and it took us 1.5 hrs to go 8 miles and 2 hrs to go 10 miles. The ranger station in the middle of the state park has potable water, showers, and even an ice machine but we didn't find it open either of the days we passed. Those amenities were available even with the station un manned. AS mentioned--- no fuel is available in the ranch state park so allow for that in your planning. The other portion of the Ranch state park is the River road --- which follows the Rio Grande and has multiple camping areas along the route. Two visitor centers on either end of the park issues you the camping permits needed as well as provide current conditions updates. We stayed at Upper Madera camping area along the river road and found it a nice spot to stop on our way to the National park. Weather was magnificent ( late FEB ) although the WIND was a factor as mentioned. If you are looking for solitude and beautiful country and are self sufficient --- the Ranch will certainly meet you goals. We plan to go back and explore the east side of the Ranch state park as we didn't have time to go that far.
We only visited the National Park on a day trip and found the camping area in Chisos Basin very cramped .... learned there are many options for back country camping that can be discussed with the rangers at the visitor centers. If you go .... visit both areas and enjoy what they each have to offer.

a few pix
Guale #2----

View attachment 253348

Chorro Vista camp

View attachment 253349

Upper Madera campsite sunrise

View attachment 253350

all I can say is GO.... other stops on your way that you may like that we visited
Davis Mountains State Park-- FT Davis, TX
Terlingua, TX---
Santa Elena Canyon--- located in National Park ( south west corner )

Bart
Thanks for the comment! Were there many other folks in the camping areas while you were there? I read on the park web page that Sand Flies were a problem near the river. Any issues with them for you?

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

Thanks for the comment! Were there many other folks in the camping areas while you were there? I read on the park web page that Sand Flies were a problem near the river. Any issues with them for you?
the sites we were at in the INTERIOR were totally separate from any other camping areas but quite a bit.... we were in the park during the weekTuesday- Friday and saw almost no one while driving to Guale #2 and Chorro Vista. The drive along the River road had some traffic but the Friday night we spent at Upper Madera camp ( located close to the road ) only had one other group that night and there were around 20 sites total at that camp.

While we did have some insects present when we set up at our river camp.... we were up on higher ground and they went away at night fall. The other camps we stopped at ...lower Madera and Grassy bottom are located right at river level so they might have bug issues as mentioned.

85CivilianJeep

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Golden
Member #

the sites we were at in the INTERIOR were totally separate from any other camping areas but quite a bit.... we were in the park during the weekTuesday- Friday and saw almost no one while driving to Guale #2 and Chorro Vista. The drive along the River road had some traffic but the Friday night we spent at Upper Madera camp ( located close to the road ) only had one other group that night and there were around 20 sites total at that camp.

While we did have some insects present when we set up at our river camp.... we were up on higher ground and they went away at night fall. The other camps we stopped at ...lower Madera and Grassy bottom are located right at river level so they might have bug issues as mentioned.
My goal is to visit next year around the same time you went.
I’ve read info on the park website and watched a number of YouTube videos, and they stress that you’re pretty much on your own and need to prepare accordingly. Sounds like a challenge! Appreciate your reply, thanks!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Guale #2 is one of the reasons we now have a roof top tent on our trailer. We were there many years ago. It was windy, as it usually is , and we could not pitch our tent. Impossible to drive a stake. We had a quick dinner, and shoved off. I want to go back and spend a few nights there. It is a spectacular site. And yes- it’s remote and nary a soul. We saw no one- going in, or coming back out. Perfect!!

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

Guale #2 is one of the reasons we now have a roof top tent on our trailer. We were there many years ago. It was windy, as it usually is , and we could not pitch our tent. Impossible to drive a stake. We had a quick dinner, and shoved off. I want to go back and spend a few nights there. It is a spectacular site. And yes- it’s remote and nary a soul. We saw no one- going in, or coming back out. Perfect!!
I agree with ..... impossible to drive a stake--- while the wind kept us from using the awning anyway---- the ground wouldn't allow it as well . At Chorro Vista we were able to drive stakes into ground and deployed the awning for that night. Not deal breakers but if using tents-- be able to stake them out alternatively