Big Bend Ranch State Park - Chorro Vista Campsite

• HTML tutorial

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Headed there myself Thanksgiving week. How were the trails leading to the campsite?
Dry with good traction on rocks. Good bit of vegetation along trail, so pinstriping is possible, none broke paint, but since car is dusty by time you get there, seeing all the marks in the dust is an OMG moment. Two decent hill climbs. Hiking trails were all in good condition and well marked.

Reactions: AggieOE

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
10-4 on that. My rig is already pinstriped to hell from the Ouachitas, so not worried about that. I’ll be camped in the South Leyva Campground, hoping the views will be as great. Did y’all hit the BBNP as well during your stay there?
No just BBRSP. We stayed at Guale2 last time we were here. I have not been to BBNP since pre-covid.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Just got done with BBNP last week, I should have gone to BBRSP. Great pictures

Reactions: Kueezy

Kueezy

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Grand Prairie, Tarrant County, Texas, United States
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Cuizon
10-4 on that. My rig is already pinstriped to hell from the Ouachitas, so not worried about that. I’ll be camped in the South Leyva Campground, hoping the views will be as great. Did y’all hit the BBNP as well during your stay there?
No just BBRSP. We stayed at Guale2 last time we were here. I have not been to BBNP since pre-covid.
Will be there for 3 days, so going to maximize exploration of both parks. Camping in BBRSP, then dedicating Old Ore road and Black Gap in BBNP a day each.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Great pictures! I've done BBNP a couple of times but NEED to do BBRSP. If it's like any of the other state parks in Texas I've been to, I know it has to be well-kept, possibly better than the NP.
How were the campsites?

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Great pictures! I've done BBNP a couple of times but NEED to do BBRSP. If it's like any of the other state parks in Texas I've been to, I know it has to be well-kept, possibly better than the NP.
How were the campsites?
It is not like any other Texas state park, and it is certainly not "well kept", and does not even compare to BBNP. It is basically a wilderness area, with no paved roads, no cell, electric, water, showers, toilets, etc., available anywhere except ranger station. Roads are not maintained and often overgrown with vegetation. Campsites usually have a usable picnic table and a worn out fire pit you would not want to cook food on (see picture).

And that is the beauty of it!

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

It is not like any other Texas state park, and it is certainly not "well kept", and does not even compare to BBNP. It is basically a wilderness area, with no paved roads, no cell, electric, water, showers, toilets, etc., available anywhere except ranger station. Roads are not maintained and often overgrown with vegetation. Campsites usually have a usable picnic table and a worn out fire pit you would not want to cook food on (see picture).

My first trip I stayed one night Papalote Llano Nuevo and then the next three nights La Monilla. On the approach to La Monilla I actually got out of the truck and walked ahead a bit to try and find the camp to make I was actually still on a road since it was so overgrown. And that hill getting there between the Javelin Pens and Mexicano was definitely "interesting". Really enjoyed it, will be back for sure. Lots of new pin strips but as you say, that's the beauty of it!

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Haha Good to know! So definitely not like I expect. Sounds actually great though!

Reactions: Renegade