First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
Greetings all!

I will have my four daughters for their Spring Break all next week, and have been tossing around a few ideas on where we can go for an adventure. Initially, I was thinking Utah/New Mexico, but as the night time temps are still a bit too chilly for my two youngest (6&8) I've ruled that out. Then I thought about Big Bend National Park. It's a NP I have yet to see, and a quick glimpse on Weather Channel shows day temps around 80, and night temps in the 50's/60's which is perfect!

My question(s) are as follows:

1) I've heard there are parts of the park where some hikers have encountered individuals who cross the river from the south, and demand "donations" be made to them. Any truth to this? As a retired LEO, I am always packing, but again- I'll have my four little girls with me, so if there is a bit of truth to this- should I even bother going there in the first place?

2) Are there any easy trails in the area? My rig is quite capable (JKU, lift, 35's etc) I'm wanting something that isn't asphalt, but is still conceivable for a family to do, alone. Fire Roads, etc?

3) Dispersed campgrounds? Also- decent campgrounds with showers, etc? We will likely do a bit of both.

4) Anywhere else worth seeing in the SW area? We've (me and my girls) have done Moab, Arizona, Colorado and a bit of New Mexico. Again- night time temps need to be around 40 degrees plus, or I will have a night of complaining on my hands. I'm up for any suggestions. We live in St. Louis, so a two day drive out and back is unavoidable. This leaves us three days to hike, Jeep, photograph and explore.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Cheers,

Chris

Shaun Huth

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Huth
Member #

Hey Chris, you're doing a similar thing as us this week. Were heading from Edmonton to southern Utah and Grand Canyon. Can you suggest any trails in the area that are easy and safe for a family in a family car (17 Cherokee Trailhawk)?

I'm near here so let me know if I should have posted this elsewhere. Not looking to hijack a thread.

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
Hey Shaun! If you're going through Utah, you have to do Moab. Chicken Corners is a great day trip for your Cherokee. It's not a technical trail, but it does go along a deep canyon, so it can be a bit frightening. Your rig will be fine though! Seriously- do some easy trails in Moab. There are a ton!

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
Oh, and regardless of trails to ride, there are some spots you absolutely have to see in Utah:
Bryce Canyon (gorgeous columns that look like another planet)
Arches (Duh, of course!)
Zion (Epic hiking)
Canyon Lands (the name says it all...)
Canyon De-Chelly (Not a National Park, but still beautiful. Word of warning, it's a bit odd because it's on Native lands, and you'll have a single wide trailer next to a viewing point. Nothing wrong with that, jus t a bit odd compared to National Park cleanliness)
Capital Reef (Huge petroglyphs)

As for Arizona, definitely do the Grand Canyon, but ALSO drive south from Flagstaff to Sedona. It's worth it. Also, a bit east of Flag is Petrified Forest National Park, and a jog north of there is Mesa Verde (one of my favorites!!!) in Colorado. That's got all the amazing cliff dwellings.

As you might be able to tell- the "Four Corners" area is my favorite part of the country. So much epic scenery, and so many amazing cultures as well as so much changing landscape(s). From desert to forests to canyons, mountains, high plains, arches, lakes, rivers....you can even go from cold, snowy mountains to the hot desert in the same day!

Starting from Moab, take 191 south to 163. 163 takes you through Monument Valley and on towards Flagstaff. Grand Canyon is an easy drive from Flag by going west on 40. You'll see the signs. Also from Flag, take 89-A south to Sedona. And if you have the time, continue 89-A to the cool little artist town of Jerome, then onto Prescott. Locals pronounce it as Prescit...like the word biscuit. It's weird, but they're nice.

Hit me up if you need any more suggestions, and have a great trip!!

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

I know several people who hike and camp in Big Bend a lot. None of them have EVER heard of illegals coming up to people, let alone demanding donations while in the Park. As for “easy trails” my friend took her Outback up tons of 4x4 roads so I think you n the girls will be fine. Hope you have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

pixelsailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boerne, TX
Member #

Greetings all!

I will have my four daughters for their Spring Break all next week, and have been tossing around a few ideas on where we can go for an adventure. Initially, I was thinking Utah/New Mexico, but as the night time temps are still a bit too chilly for my two youngest (6&8) I've ruled that out. Then I thought about Big Bend National Park. It's a NP I have yet to see, and a quick glimpse on Weather Channel shows day temps around 80, and night temps in the 50's/60's which is perfect!

My question(s) are as follows:

1) I've heard there are parts of the park where some hikers have encountered individuals who cross the river from the south, and demand "donations" be made to them. Any truth to this? As a retired LEO, I am always packing, but again- I'll have my four little girls with me, so if there is a bit of truth to this- should I even bother going there in the first place?

2) Are there any easy trails in the area? My rig is quite capable (JKU, lift, 35's etc) I'm wanting something that isn't asphalt, but is still conceivable for a family to do, alone. Fire Roads, etc?

3) Dispersed campgrounds? Also- decent campgrounds with showers, etc? We will likely do a bit of both.

4) Anywhere else worth seeing in the SW area? We've (me and my girls) have done Moab, Arizona, Colorado and a bit of New Mexico. Again- night time temps need to be around 40 degrees plus, or I will have a night of complaining on my hands. I'm up for any suggestions. We live in St. Louis, so a two day drive out and back is unavoidable. This leaves us three days to hike, Jeep, photograph and explore.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Cheers,

Chris
I've never heard of anyone running into people that tried to mug them in Big Bend. The park is quite safe, aside from the natural hazards of a desert. That said, it is on the border and you should always be alert.

Big Bend OHV trails require high clearance but are quite easy. Old Ore Rd, Glen Springs Rd, and River Rd are all quite scenic and not technical at all. In a lifted Jeep you wouldn't find any challenge. The most notorious of Big Bend trails is Black Gap but again, in a lifted Jeep you should have no problem. There is one narrow section that may raise the pucker factor depending on your experience

There is no dispersed camping in Big Bend NP or the State Park. There are primitive campsites scattered throughout that must be reserved at a ranger station upon arrival at the park. There is also no dispersed camping in western Texas in general. If you're making the trip down. Plan your route and your stops as most of the state is private property.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've been to Big Bend NP and the general area several times and have never heard or read about anyone being approached or accosted by someone from across the border. That's just bullshit. Venture up into Terlingua Ranch, though, the last American frontier and up between the NP and SP, full of private property and off-the-grid homesteaders (all good people) and you may encounter some ne'er-do-wells from away--almost always white people--that have come down to hide out for one reason or another in the desert.

You won't see them in the Parks, though. Never had a single problem or even heard of anyone having a problem in either of the parks there.

And, even tho you're retired LEO and can carry in all 50 states, and I'm sure you know of the when/where, you can't always carry in all Federal Parks or Gun Free School Zones. You'll also be going through Border Patrol checks going in and coming out of the area, sometimes 50 miles or so inland from the border, if that might be a concern. From what I understand there have been enough changes in the rules/laws and requirements to qualify over the years that some local, even federal like BP, may not be up on the latest.

One advantage you'll have, actually, in dealing with checkpoints and rangers, etc is that you're traveling with family. Even more of an advantage if going across the border and away from border towns.

Camping in Big Bend - if you want showers and the more typical campground environment, you won't want the primitive back country campsite, which have a place to pull off a gravel or dirt road and maybe a bear-proof box. Most don't have tables or firepits and certainly no shower. There may be a fire ban in effect, too, throughout the area, depending on recent weather.

You'll find good camping with a shower building etc at the more improved campgrounds like up in the Chisos. Get online and check out the NP and SP sites...they have a ton if info as to what's available. Because this is Spring Break season, you might want to check ahead and see if you can reserve a site instead of driving up expecting one, either at the Park sites or private CGs. Crowds may be different, too, during break, depending on where you go. Even Big Bend, as remote as it is, is seeing big increases in numbers each year.

Reactions: SgtMac

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Hi, I am looking to get to SW late Feb, early March. Big Bend was my first thought, but may look closer at NM. Did you have any issues finding sites in BIg Bend and how was the hiking. Not just going out to drive, really looking to cover some ground on foot too.