(BEWARE of fit) Bushwacker fender flares for 2017 wk2 Grand Cherokee

• HTML tutorial

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

So I recently bought the only set of Bushwacker fender flares that are made for the 2011 to 2017 wk2 Grand Cherokee. I have a 2017 Altitude edition. I have never owned any Bushwacker flares before, so I didn't know what to expect from them as far as fit and finish but there reputation was good and there were no other options available, so I dropped the $499 and hoped for the best. My first impression when I removed them from the box, was "there is no way these are going on my truck without at least getting painted". The plastic looked very cheep and was all scratched up. Not what you would expect for $500 and not something anyone would put on a $40k+ vehicle as is. So off to the body shop it was and drop another $300 on two stage, gloss black paint job. After picking up the flares from the body shop, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the flares looked now, well worth the money. At this point it was time to assemble the flares which included putting in the silver bolts and rubber trim that goes around the edge of the flares. Putting on the bolts was straight forward and easy to do, although I will be replacing all of mine with black ones just because I don't like the silver ones on my vehicle. Installing the rubber trim started out easy but as I got to the part of the flares that attach to the rear doors, that changed. Bushwacker has these little pieces epoxide onto the back side that holds some double sided tape. Unfortunately they have these pieces pushed so far up against the lip of the flare, that there is no way to attach the rubber trim. So I had to pry them off, install the rubber trim and then re-epoxy the pieces. Pretty easy to do, but come on Bushwacker!
Now on to the install. All in all it's pretty easy. But! and that's a big but, if you remove your oem fender trim the way Bushwacker tells you to in there directions it will and does break several of the mounting points on the trim piece and at this point there is no turning back because you can not put your stock trim back on now. So I started with the front fender flares and low and behold they don't fit at all. Yes I know I should have pre fit them before I painted them but you have to break your factory trim to fit the Bushwackers, so your really dammed if you do, dammed if you don't and I figured there is only one style available, so why wouldn't they fit. As you can see in the photos the flare is at least 1 1/2" short. At this point I had to make them work, so I cut the factory trim piece and trimmed the Bushwacker flare to fit around the trim. The rear flares fit as they should. All in all they look fine now but if I had to do it again, I would probably have saved the $800 and put it into something else on the truck.
20171231_115840.jpg
20171231_115746.jpg
20171231_115921.jpg
20171231_122102.jpg
20171231_122146.jpg
20171231_125201.jpg 20171231_125218.jpg
20171231_150734.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Lujain

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

Does the altitude model get a different bumper cover than other trim levels?
I didn't think so. There is nothing in the manufactures description that says it does. I thought most of the Altitude stuff was just having all of the chrome blacked out. The only model that bushwacker says it doesn't fit is the SRT8 model. I don't know if they did something different here in California, which I have seen on other model cars but I'm really not sure.

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tell you what...I'm looking at a pic of my 2015 WK2 and the lower valence looks like it takes up more space in height of the overall bumper than yours does. I'd be willing to bet that Jeep changed that for the 2017 model and Bushwacker didn't account for that. Hopefully that makes sense.

Reactions: McCannUSA

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

Tell you what...I'm looking at a pic of my 2015 WK2 and the lower valence looks like it takes up more space in height of the overall bumper than yours does. I'd be willing to bet that Jeep changed that for the 2017 model and Bushwacker didn't account for that. Hopefully that makes sense.
Yup, you can definitely see on mine there is more room from the bottom of my fog light to the top of the lower valance, than in all the ones pictured on Bushwackers website.

Reactions: Lujain