Best Wheel/Tire Combo for Daily Driver??

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I will admit I am new at this. First thing I want to do with my build is to add the right combo for wheels and tires. I am in Central AR and my FJ Cruiser is my daily driver. I will also be traveling out of state a lot to visit other places. What wheel and tire combo do you recommend? What has worked good for you?

Things I factor in:

Road Noise
Wear (good number of miles)
Off road capability

Thank you for all of your help in advance...

Jeffrey Richards

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bakersfield
Member #

I had 31”mud Tires at first
To noisy for me plus I only got 26000 miles out of them.
Now I run 35s BF goodwrench with an Aggressive all Terrain. Love them smooth ride noise is gone
Pro comp rims with a 3.5 lift

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Well, if you are not hitting hard stuff I would say either BFG all terrain or the Pro Comp all terrain which comes with a 50k mile warranty. If you want a mud tire, then again, Pro Comp with their 40k mile warranty.

As for rims, I personally always run the smallest diameter rim that I can fit. More sidewall = more flex = softer ride both on and off road.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Well, if you are not hitting hard stuff I would say either BFG all terrain or the Pro Comp all terrain which comes with a 50k mile warranty. If you want a mud tire, then again, Pro Comp with their 40k mile warranty.

As for rims, I personally always run the smallest diameter rim that I can fit. More sidewall = more flex = softer ride both on and off road.
Awesome Thank you. Never have tried Pro Comp but I did like some BFG's I had in the past. Still a mud tire to get 40k miles is not bad. But the road noise is usually pretty bad. Especially if I'm having to travel 20 hours to Utah or somewhere like that.

Reactions: khorsa

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
Another vote for the BFG All terrains. I've run them on many different vehicles over the past 25ish years, and I absolutely love them. They wear like iron on the lighter stuff I've run them on (Jeep, Ranger pickup, Explorer, and Suzuki Samurai), and they don't have the road noise issues I've had with other tires. Same agreement with the rim diameter, it makes for a better ride IMO. As far as off-road performance, they can be hit or miss. I like them because they slip before I break something. I'm not going to say they're terrible in the mud, but I prefer avoiding mud when I can anyway, so their lackluster performance in the mud isn't a deterrent for me :smile:

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
I have the falkien wildpeak at3ws and absolutely love them ive had them in sand,mud, and snow and they have done great on all of them.So far they have had great wear and are quiet on the road.
I'm running these on my daily driver right now. I needed new tires and the deal was just too good to pass up/ They seem to be wearing well after about 10,000 miles. I've only had them on the street, dirt roads, and a little mud, and can also attest to their abilities in the mud :smile:

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I have Cooper STT Pros and they handle wonderfully off-road and surprisingly very low noise on the highway for such an aggressive looking tire...one caveat is that I am on track to only get 30k miles out of them...needless to say this isn't my daily driver though. I would recommend the BFG all terrains...that best fits your three criteria.

CRB357

Rank 0

Traveler I

I run the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's too. It's a daily driver. I like them. Work good on the street, in the wet, in the mud, sand, and not loud at all. Price was right too. I rotate my full size spare when I rotate every 5k. I have 20k miles on them so far and they still have at least another 20k in them, if not more.a796d07b-c2bf-434f-9e9a-4ff738c0d660.jpg

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

As you did not state the size or if you have a lift, I will assume you are stock with my answer. I am looking right now for basically the same information on tires. The difference for me is I need something that will work in snow also. There are Three different tires that I am looking at. Like 58-FC170, said, General Grabbers. Next is Goodyear Dura Tracs. Then I had a set of Mickey Thomson MTZ P3s on an old Jeep I had and loved them. The cheapest are the Generals, but the other Two are better off-road. I am looking to run 31 x 10.5 x15s. My response will not help you much, but I will keep watching what others seem to like and use. Benz.

QCNR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Stavanger
First Name
Q
Last Name
R
If you are doing mainly road miles as it is your daily driver, i highly rae the Cooper Discoverer AT3.
I never had a problem with that tyre in about 30.000km whether it was German Autobahn, Norwegian mountain roads, or off road. Admittadly it didn't do too well in deep mud, but that was at normal road pressure.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I have Cooper STT Pros and they handle wonderfully off-road and surprisingly very low noise on the highway for such an aggressive looking tire...one caveat is that I am on track to only get 30k miles out of them...needless to say this isn't my daily driver though. I would recommend the BFG all terrains...that best fits your three criteria.
I have had the Cooper STT's on my last truck I owned. I loved them. But then again I was like you. Didn't get the best wear. And the road noise was pretty bad on interstates. And they are really pricey compared to the $124 General Grabbers and others. Thank you for your input!

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

:Lo
I run the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's too. It's a daily driver. I like them. Work good on the street, in the wet, in the mud, sand, and not loud at all. Price was right too. I rotate my full size spare when I rotate every 5k. I have 20k miles on them so far and they still have at least another 20k in them, if not more.View attachment 38137
Love the Cooper Tires! I have always ran them. Plus they are made here in Arkansas. Kinda pricey compared to others. Thank you!

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

As you did not state the size or if you have a lift, I will assume you are stock with my answer. I am looking right now for basically the same information on tires. The difference for me is I need something that will work in snow also. There are Three different tires that I am looking at. Like 58-FC170, said, General Grabbers. Next is Goodyear Dura Tracs. Then I had a set of Mickey Thomson MTZ P3s on an old Jeep I had and loved them. The cheapest are the Generals, but the other Two are better off-road. I am looking to run 31 x 10.5 x15s. My response will not help you much, but I will keep watching what others seem to like and use. Benz.
Thank you. No I currently do not have a lift and I do run stock wheels and tires as of now. I think that is a low priority compared to the other modifications I want to do first. Thank you for your input.

Member 1056

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Rancho Santa Margarita
Member #

General Tire All Terrains Grabber. Quiet on road and great offroad and in the snow. Also, one of the lightest offroad tires out there that have a decent side wall.

Last edited:

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

I like the duratracs. Solid tire for on/off road and looong life.

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

I'm currently running 315/75-16 maxxis bighorn M/T's on my FZJ80. I have a lift and use it for camping/OB/rocks/snow and they work great for me. I like an aggressive tire and don't mind the noise at all. I just turn up the radio! This is also my daily driver. If you go with a high mileage tire, that's great. If a lift is something you plan to do at some point, you will be disappointed in how small the tires will look. And buying bigger tires will be an added cost. Especially if your tires still have a lot of life left in them.