hamburg ny
First Name
dean
Last Name
jackson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Landcruiser
I'm looking for the best tires for my 07 LC that has decent grip in upstate ny mud, slick roots, snow but doesn't have crazy road noise and will not be shot in 10k . Really appreciate the help!

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I have BFG KO2's, they are quiet and safe in winter (winter logo).
However, they seem very heavy and "sticky" and I lost 3-4mpgs the moment I installed them.

I had Toyo MTs before and I much preferred those.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Here in the Southwest KO2's are good pick, The Cooper's are what a lot of my friends in the Northeast have and love...also in the west here a lot of my rock crawler friends love the Toyo's but shy away from the Goodyear Duratracs as the sidewalls get easily get damaged.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Here in the Southwest KO2's are good pick, The Cooper's are what a lot of my friends in the Northeast have and love...also in the west here a lot of my rock crawler friends love the Toyo's but shy away from the Goodyear Duratracs as the sidewalls get easily get damaged.
I agree with the Duratrac statement. I have witness a friend put fist size holes in all five tires on one jeep trail. To get to a trailer he had to using bailing wire to stitch all of his tires multiple times. I think they are good tires, unless you plan to be slightly aggressive off road. I like three ply sidewalls personally.

BBrennan

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Brennan
Member #

I would recommend BFG KO2 one of the best. My last 3 tires buy were BFG KOs. Looking for more but it is a daily driver. I'm looking at:
Yokohama X-A/T Have a soft spot for Yoko had their A/Ts back in the 90s
Toyo R/T
Nitto Grapplers (Hybrid tire) But see them on a lot of Mall Crawlers. But heard they are good
BFG KM3 just go for it.

Thoughts....

Reactions: Embark With Mark

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I would recommend BFG KO2 one of the best. My last 3 tires buy were BFG KOs. Looking for more but it is a daily driver. I'm looking at:
Yokohama X-A/T Have a soft spot for Yoko had their A/Ts back in the 90s
Toyo R/T
Nitto Grapplers (Hybrid tire) But see them on a lot of Mall Crawlers. But heard they are good
BFG KM3 just go for it.

Thoughts....
Thoughts? I have KO2's and lost 3-4mpgs on my truck with them when I replaced my Toyo's. Aside from mpgs, they are good.
I know they were several pounds heavier per tire (edit: I fact checked that, the Toyo's are heavier, my bad) than my Toyo's and feel "stickier" on the street. And they do better in the rain and cold than my Toyo MTs did.
But, I'm getting Toyo's next time.
Reason I went with KO2's was that the only Toyo dealers in WA state wanted $700 more for a set of Toyos and I dislike that tire shop for other reasons. I'll have to see if I can get Toyos some other way.

Last edited:

BBrennan

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Brennan
Member #

Jason, Are you going Toyo R/T next or back to Toyo M/Ts. Have you seen Yokohama M/T. My gym buddy loves them.

Reactions: SquishBang

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Jason, Are you going Toyo R/T next or back to Toyo M/Ts. Have you seen Yokohama M/T. My gym buddy loves them.
Well, TBH these KO2's are holding up really well.
My Toyo MT's had to be changed due to dry-rot. I just don't drive my truck enough.
I'm a fan of Yoko's on my previous cars, I'll have to consider them.

BTW I just checked, and it seems that the KO2's are 4.7 pounds lighter per tire than my Toyo MT's were. I did make the assumption that the KO2s weighed more therefore poor MPGs, but that is not the case. Don't know why my MPGs went down so bad when I changed to KO2's. Could be unrelated!

Reactions: BBrennan

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
General Grabber AT/X

I have also had Cooper Discoverer AT/3 and thing the Grabbers are way better.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
OP is in NY.

KO's are for southern sand IME. Mine hated mud and slush.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I'm about to put 255/85/16s on my Xterra and it's down to either the Cooper ST Maxx, BFG KM3 or Toyo M/T ... leaning toward the Coopers ... My last two sets were Coopers, some variation or other of their all terrains, and I never had a complaint, and, also, I wonder how mud tires will do on a daily driver.

Rafikim

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Los Angeles
First Name
Rafael
Last Name
M
Member #

Another vote for KO2s; they're awesome. No complaints on or off the road.

I had Cooper Discoverers before the BFGs, I forget the specific model number but they weren't too bad for a less-aggressive tire.