"Best" Subaru, new or old, for an overland build?

• HTML tutorial

deeve

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hillsboro, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1PNW
I posted this over at another forum, but in hindsight, this one might be a better one ar at least give a different perspective.

I have always had a soft spot for Subi's. My first car was a 1978 Subaru Wagon that I maintained myself, swapped engines, put a 2x4 wood spring lift (not the best idea) and totally had a blast. I grew up in Maine and drove the bejesus out of that thing getting it buried it in the mud, bounced off snowbanks, went "parking" with my first GF and had a bunch of adventures.

I have an awesome AEV built JK but I keep seeing these Forester commercials that totally sucked me in. I really like that new Forester. Their marketing team got me right in the heart. It seems since the late 80's when I rocked the '78 a few companies have come out with some nice overlanding parts like lifts, skid plates, lights etc.

My question is more hypothetical, but you never know what the future brings....what Subaru model would be the best for an overland build. The endstate of the build would be a vehicle that is a daily driver that can knock down highway miles to get to the trails in comfort with MPG in the 20's. No rock crawling, but actual fire roads/trails that you might find in the west. The rig might carry an RTT or roof box, have room inside for a 47-year-old 6'3" 250lb guy who likes to ride in comfort. Aftermarket parts availability and ease of it accepting the mods would be a consideration. I would run it on local trips to central/eastern Oregon exploring, to running down to California for maybe a run through the Mojave Trail or Heart of the West Adventure Trail and back home to nw Oregon.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I posted this over at another forum, but in hindsight, this one might be a better one ar at least give a different perspective.

I have always had a soft spot for Subi's. My first car was a 1978 Subaru Wagon that I maintained myself, swapped engines, put a 2x4 wood spring lift (not the best idea) and totally had a blast. I grew up in Maine and drove the bejesus out of that thing getting it buried it in the mud, bounced off snowbanks, went "parking" with my first GF and had a bunch of adventures.

I have an awesome AEV built JK but I keep seeing these Forester commercials that totally sucked me in. I really like that new Forester. Their marketing team got me right in the heart. It seems since the late 80's when I rocked the '78 a few companies have come out with some nice overlanding parts like lifts, skid plates, lights etc.

My question is more hypothetical, but you never know what the future brings....what Subaru model would be the best for an overland build. The endstate of the build would be a vehicle that is a daily driver that can knock down highway miles to get to the trails in comfort with MPG in the 20's. No rock crawling, but actual fire roads/trails that you might find in the west. The rig might carry an RTT or roof box, have room inside for a 47-year-old 6'3" 250lb guy who likes to ride in comfort. Aftermarket parts availability and ease of it accepting the mods would be a consideration. I would run it on local trips to central/eastern Oregon exploring, to running down to California for maybe a run through the Mojave Trail or Heart of the West Adventure Trail and back home to nw Oregon.
So my gf and I came across this little beast in the parking lot while shopping in Medford Oregon. I would totally turn it into an overlander platform vehicle. Roomy but aggressive. Just an idea.....20181231_134701.jpg

Reactions: deeve

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Speaking from experience I can tell you that aftermarket support only goes so far with any Subaru but thats just where custom creativity steps in. That said every week there are more and more of us taking our Subarus where they were never intended so aftermarket support is slowly increasing. Most recently CBI realized the profitability of the segment and has been releasing Prinsu roof racks for the newest models.

I'm partial to newer Subarus because they get away from the EJ line of motors, 2nd gen CVT transmission, come with a little more ground clearance out of the box, and are available with X-mode which can dramatically improve traction over technical terrain as well as a few other features. After that its a matter of desired size and features. I test drove a Crosstrek and felt I'd grow out of it in a couple weeks. The Forester has always been the bastard child but offers the largest greenhouse, best approach/departure angles, and has typically always been the best value but the sticker on the newest ones are getting ridiculous. They're finally enjoying the success of the 'crossover' market and are feature rich and attractive. The Outback was my choice due to its size, features (X-mode is standard), lower roof line, and the fact that I have a soft spot for wagons haha.

deeve

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hillsboro, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1PNW
Speaking from experience I can tell you that aftermarket support only goes so far with any Subaru but thats just where custom creativity steps in. That said every week there are more and more of us taking our Subarus where they were never intended so aftermarket support is slowly increasing. Most recently CBI realized the profitability of the segment and has been releasing Prinsu roof racks for the newest models.

I'm partial to newer Subarus because they get away from the EJ line of motors, 2nd gen CVT transmission, come with a little more ground clearance out of the box, and are available with X-mode which can dramatically improve traction over technical terrain as well as a few other features. After that its a matter of desired size and features. I test drove a Crosstrek and felt I'd grow out of it in a couple weeks. The Forester has always been the bastard child but offers the largest greenhouse, best approach/departure angles, and has typically always been the best value but the sticker on the newest ones are getting ridiculous. They're finally enjoying the success of the 'crossover' market and are feature rich and attractive. The Outback was my choice due to its size, features (X-mode is standard), lower roof line, and the fact that I have a soft spot for wagons haha.
I have read through your build thread before and really like what you have done. Coincidentally I live about 20 miles from Primitive Racing HQ so I suppose I have a good resource nearby

DAVE

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you @deeve!

When I was running Geolandar G015 AT rubber I was getting 24-25 mpg on my daily drive to and from work with everything on the car. Pretty great for anything with 12" of ground clearance but I haven't had a good opportunity with it being winter to check it with the Wildpeaks. I suspect I lost another 1 or 2 and interstate travel suffers a little more since I have the aero of a barn door in a tornado.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

And now i need a prinsu to match the Tacoma.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

FozNasty

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Texas
Member #

I have to admit I went to purchase an outback, love the look same goes for crosstek, but I test drove all three and settled on the Forester which I loved the roomier interior much much better, the outside looks I'm still not the biggest fan but hey as I get older it's less about the looks and more about personal preference. I do wish I had gotten X mode but I got such a good deal on mine I couldn't pass it up. I do love the looks of the older foresters around the 2005 era.

deeve

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hillsboro, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1PNW
Did you get the 2019? The more I look at the Foresters the better I like them. New and old.

FozNasty

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Texas
Member #

We can trade! Problem solved lol. I would love another jeep but I must say the gas saved is what makes most of my trips possible, ive just got to know when my subie cannot go further down a trail but they are more capable than people realise

deeve

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hillsboro, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1PNW
I am going to Overland West this year from NW Oregon and the MPG is a factor for me for sure. This will be the furthest I have taken this rig so it will be a good real-world example to see how it goes.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I had a Subaru Brat back in high school and loved it. Took it camping and strapped a canoe to the roof....that thing would climb hills. Subaru needs to make a bigger Brat like Toyota did with the Tundra.
brat.jpg

deeve

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hillsboro, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1PNW
I have seen that one and watched his YouTube walk around many times. The Outback would actually allow me to sleep in it too at 6’3” I don’t think the Forester or Crosatrek would let me do that