4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
I think one of the most issue is our own homebase. We are here at an International Community.

Gaia & OB offers a lot of cool stuff. But not anywhere... In Europe the selection of available maps and tracks is way smaller.

So our outcom to "the best naviation app" will also reflect our experience at our home.

Yes, I`m jaelous what OB and Gaia offers in US/Canada! We dont have something similar in europe, so we have to use severall tools for overlanding here.

trippin

cookiedough

Rank V

Explorer I

Phx, AZ
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Petersen
Member #

We are also working hard on our app Overland Bound One, adding features and improving with community feedback. All of the features mentioned are part of the Overland Bound One app - but...what would make OB1 your go-to app? As always, we love feedback! We are very much directly connected with the community to respond to requests and feedback.
I guess it comes down to use case. I am a forest service road camp person. I don't really have a desire to do the rubicon or some trails in Moab. I like to camp, and have an off road teardrop I pull. So, I'm looking for decent forest service roads and locations.

I have both OB1 and OnX, and several friends use Gaia and claim it's the best. I super like the curated trails and reviews/difficulty levels on OnX. I have a stock Tacoma, and I really want to know the difficulty level of the route I'm looking at doing. I always use my Mac to explore, the tablet to navigate. The missing part of the OB1 app to me is the webmap. In AZ and southern UT, there aren't many OB1 tracks, but I get it's new. So, I use both. I've jeep'd with friends in Moab, I have no interest in doing many of those trails on my own (rail bender, fins n things, hell's revenge), I'll be the designated photographer!

After a number of mis-starts, the Tab S6 Lite seems to be a seamless nav option(as opposed to the ipad paired with my inReach), but I don't get my emails on that tablet. So, I need to search the News area to find the corresponding info I received in an email as a recommended trail.

The series of videos and track from the continental divide run was great - even though I probably won't do that - those are serious modified rigs, but was an excellent inspiration! The email mentioned above from Oct, 5 area you need to explore - the Alpine Loop, we did that a couple years ago, and would fully recommend that to others!

The other frustrating part of OB1, is there a way to split the tracks? For example, House Rock Valley Rd in northern AZ and Southern UT. click on that and you get someone's 2500 mile track through AZ, NM, UT and TX. Perhaps I don't yet know how to split it up, but that length of track is almost useless as a weekender. It causes the app to zoom way out and just adds frustration when looking in a specific area. Again the curated content on OnX is pretty good for the light weight user like myself.

Reactions: Marko_0149bf

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I guess it comes down to use case. I am a forest service road camp person. I don't really have a desire to do the rubicon or some trails in Moab. I like to camp, and have an off road teardrop I pull. So, I'm looking for decent forest service roads and locations.

I have both OB1 and OnX, and several friends use Gaia and claim it's the best. I super like the curated trails and reviews/difficulty levels on OnX. I have a stock Tacoma, and I really want to know the difficulty level of the route I'm looking at doing. I always use my Mac to explore, the tablet to navigate. The missing part of the OB1 app to me is the webmap. In AZ and southern UT, there aren't many OB1 tracks, but I get it's new. So, I use both. I've jeep'd with friends in Moab, I have no interest in doing many of those trails on my own (rail bender, fins n things, hell's revenge), I'll be the designated photographer!

After a number of mis-starts, the Tab S6 Lite seems to be a seamless nav option(as opposed to the ipad paired with my inReach), but I don't get my emails on that tablet. So, I need to search the News area to find the corresponding info I received in an email as a recommended trail.

The series of videos and track from the continental divide run was great - even though I probably won't do that - those are serious modified rigs, but was an excellent inspiration! The email mentioned above from Oct, 5 area you need to explore - the Alpine Loop, we did that a couple years ago, and would fully recommend that to others!

The other frustrating part of OB1, is there a way to split the tracks? For example, House Rock Valley Rd in northern AZ and Southern UT. click on that and you get someone's 2500 mile track through AZ, NM, UT and TX. Perhaps I don't yet know how to split it up, but that length of track is almost useless as a weekender. It causes the app to zoom way out and just adds frustration when looking in a specific area. Again the curated content on OnX is pretty good for the light weight user like myself.
Extremely useful feedback! We do get this a lot and something we are working on. Trails in the app are increasing quickly, and we are considering working with content partners to increase curated content. We have the tools, but content is king for the casual user (this is what I am hearing).

it is a bit of an advanced feature, but to get a segment of a trail, you could plan a route, mapping only the section of trail you want. I know this is an extra step, but the community really owns the tracks they upload, and we dont alter them once they are uploaded. In the case where there is a obvious error, we will request a modification, or delete the track. That is rare.

Thank you for the feedback - this is noted!

cookiedough

Rank V

Explorer I

Phx, AZ
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Petersen
Member #

Extremely useful feedback! We do get this a lot and something we are working on. Trails in the app are increasing quickly, and we are considering working with content partners to increase curated content. We have the tools, but content is king for the casual user (this is what I am hearing).

it is a bit of an advanced feature, but to get a segment of a trail, you could plan a route, mapping only the section of trail you want. I know this is an extra step, but the community really owns the tracks they upload, and we dont alter them once they are uploaded. In the case where there is a obvious error, we will request a modification, or delete the track. That is rare.

Thank you for the feedback - this is noted!
Agree with @SoCoRuss this is just the coolest, to be messaging the developer!

As I was looking through the trails in the Maricopa Co area, I see you actually uploaded a couple here! Jerome to Williams and Outlaw Tr. Now I just need to work on getting out and making some tracks - increase that content!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Agree with @SoCoRuss this is just the coolest, to be messaging the developer!

As I was looking through the trails in the Maricopa Co area, I see you actually uploaded a couple here! Jerome to Williams and Outlaw Tr. Now I just need to work on getting out and making some tracks - increase that content!
Thank you!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Michael , Thats why I like you and OB. You really try to make the community and OB1 what the users want and need .
I can only agree with that. And that is really awesome here. The OB1 app is constantly being developed further and further and a lot of the input of the users is taken into account. Great.

I honestly don't understand the criticism that is voiced from time to time that there are only a few tracks, not many POIs etc. on the map outside the US/Canada. @Michael and his team provide us with an excellent technical platform. But he cannot fill it with content from all over the world, that is obvious and logic. We users and members are the ones who can do this. A project like this thrives on participation and I can only encourage everyone to do that.

So, everyone who is travelling has interesting and important information and stores waypoints somewhere. Let's put them on the OB map. And make the OB1 app the information source for overlanders.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Michael , Thats why I like you and OB. You really try to make the community and OB1 what the users want and need .
I can only agree with that. And that is really awesome here. The OB1 app is constantly being developed further and further and a lot of the input of the users is taken into account. Great.

I honestly don't understand the criticism that is voiced from time to time that there are only a few tracks, not many POIs etc. on the map outside the US/Canada. @Michael and his team provide us with an excellent technical platform. But he cannot fill it with content from all over the world, that is obvious and logic. We users and members are the ones who can do this. A project like this thrives on participation and I can only encourage everyone to do that.

So, everyone who is travelling has interesting and important information and stores waypoints somewhere. Let's put them on the OB map. And make the OB1 app the information source for overlanders.
Yup! You can add locations privately and publicly. If there is a good resource for the community, consider adding it publicly.

Reactions: El-Dracho