Best Basic mods?

• HTML tutorial

Overlandescape

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tennessee
Recently bought a first gen xterra, looking to get more into overlanding and have no clue what my first couple mods should be. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

maintenance, recovery gear , gather camping gear and go !! take easy trips to start out and figure out what you need as you go . spend your weekends out exploring not in the garage preparing to explore . don't forget to let two people know where your heading and a expected return time

jasonjlamb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lawrence, KS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lamb
Member #

My two cents:
  1. Maintenance/repairs
  2. Navigation
  3. Tires
  4. Camping stuff (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, lantern, stove, cookware)
  5. Recovery stuff (tow hooks, kinetic recovery strap [not a simple two strap], shovel, ax/hatchet, full-size spare)
Throw in some good decision making and smart driving, and you're ready for adventure!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

My two cents:
  1. Maintenance/repairs
  2. Navigation
  3. Tires
  4. Camping stuff (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, lantern, stove, cookware)
  5. Recovery stuff (tow hooks, kinetic recovery strap [not a simple two strap], shovel, ax/hatchet, full-size spare)
Throw in some good decision making and smart driving, and you're ready for adventure!

That's what I've been doing wrong all these years that whole good decision part

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
H
Recently bought a first gen xterra, looking to get more into overlanding and have no clue what my first couple mods should be. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Ok how about a good tool kit and service manual.

HIGH Maintenance

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Honolulu, Hawaii
Member #

maintenance, recovery gear , gather camping gear and go !! take easy trips to start out and figure out what you need as you go . spend your weekends out exploring not in the garage preparing to explore . don't forget to let two people know where your heading and a expected return time
Smileyshaun,

I agree focus on the basics would be the most prudent approach for the newcomer or less experienced.

Start out easy learn your rig and how to self rescue and self repair, at least to a basic level.
After the basics are mastered then move on to all the nice cool mods that will allow for one to attempt more advanced OB conditions.

Happy wheeling,

HIGH Maintenance

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I wanted to be comfortable so I tossed the original seats in my TJ and put in a set from a Hyundai Tiburon. I liked them so much that I did the same for LJ & XJ. It was simple and inexpensive to do.

Seats 2.jpg