Beginning My Overlanding Journey

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

Cambridge, MD, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Veltrie
Hello everyone, my name is Travis and I live in Maryland. I have always wanted to start overlanding and recently purchased my first rig to build out to do so. I have a 2023 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X that I plan on doing a moderate lift, skid plates, wheels/tires, bed cover, rear seat delete, possible fridge setup, comms, stealth bumper with winch, etc.. I look forward to being apart of the Overland Bound community!

IMG_20230101_172102_955.jpg

JamesSmith

Rank IV
Investor

Advocate III

Columbia, SC
First Name
James
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army Infantry
Hello everyone, my name is Travis and I live in Maryland. I have always wanted to start overlanding and recently purchased my first rig to build out to do so. I have a 2023 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X that I plan on doing a moderate lift, skid plates, wheels/tires, bed cover, rear seat delete, possible fridge setup, comms, stealth bumper with winch, etc.. I look forward to being apart of the Overland Bound community!

View attachment 249033
Welcome!

Reactions: thelastvendetta

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

View attachment 249033
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Welcome, and congrats on starting the journey. I've said it before in other threads, but I really REALLY like those new Frontier Pro-4Xs.

-TJ

Contributor III

Cambridge, MD, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Veltrie
Welcome, and congrats on starting the journey. I've said it before in other threads, but I really REALLY like those new Frontier Pro-4Xs.

-TJ
Thanks man! It was the same thing for me when I first saw the new Frontier Pro-4X and bang for your buck it is definitely hard to beat.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Thanks man! It was the same thing for me when I first saw the new Frontier Pro-4X and bang for your buck it is definitely hard to beat.
Yeah, I'm not sure why people "sleep on" (as the kids say) the Pro-4Xs lineup. I bought my Xterra Pro-4X used last year, and I think I paid about half as much as a similarly equipped, similar year/mileage 4Runner would have been. If you look at the new Frontier Pro-4X vs. a new Taco TRD Pro there's a HUGE price gap (espec when you consider most Nissan dealers are discounting the Frontier, Toyota dealers are still adding mark-up) and the Frontier is all new/fresh while the Taco is on it's final year of a LONG generation run. If I was buying a midsize "today" I know it'd be the FP4X.

-TJ

Contributor III

Cambridge, MD, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Veltrie
Yeah, I'm not sure why people "sleep on" (as the kids say) the Pro-4Xs lineup. I bought my Xterra Pro-4X used last year, and I think I paid about half as much as a similarly equipped, similar year/mileage 4Runner would have been. If you look at the new Frontier Pro-4X vs. a new Taco TRD Pro there's a HUGE price gap (espec when you consider most Nissan dealers are discounting the Frontier, Toyota dealers are still adding mark-up) and the Frontier is all new/fresh while the Taco is on it's final year of a LONG generation run. If I was buying a midsize "today" I know it'd be the FP4X.

-TJ
Those were my thoughts exactly. The only other real option would have been a Gladiator Mojave/Rubicon and they are priced the same as the Tacos. It would have cost me at lease 16K more to buy either of those.. if you could even find one in the spec I wanted.

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
Welcome Travis, great name! lol
Nice looking truck but I would recommend just getting out and enjoying the pain of your first set of pin stripes. My 2022 tacoma is covered after my first year.lol Be safe and have fun

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

View attachment 249033
Welcome To Overland Bound Travis
A good resource in your area is @diabetiktaco
You are in the East Region, local information can be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About EAST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Contributor III

Cambridge, MD, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Veltrie
Welcome Travis, great name! lol
Nice looking truck but I would recommend just getting out and enjoying the pain of your first set of pin stripes. My 2022 tacoma is covered after my first year.lol Be safe and have fun
Your name is equally great! lol
I definitely look forward to it. Unfortunately I live in a very flat region.. so it takes a bit of traveling (3 hours ish) to get anywhere with decent trails. Which I will plan on doing when it warms up a bit. Haha I was thinking of getting a clear wrap to protect the paint.

Reactions: P8trit

Contributor III

Cambridge, MD, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Veltrie
Welcome To Overland Bound Travis
A good resource in your area is @diabetiktaco
You are in the East Region, local information can be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About EAST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Awesome! Thank you for all of those great resources.

Reactions: Kent R
S

SoCoRuss

Welcome aboard, love that new version of the Frontier. There are a few You tube guys modding that model already. @Softroadingthewest has an older version but still good info.

You should really try to get to one of the Overland Expos this years to see the options in person.

Contributor III

Cambridge, MD, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Veltrie
Welcome aboard, love that new version of the Frontier. There are a few You tube guys modding that model already. @Softroadingthewest has an older version but still good info.

You should really try to get to one of the Overland Expos this years to see the options in person.
Thanks! I have seen a few people on YouTube that have modified them. CBI Off-road has come out with some awesome options already. I think I watched a few of his videos on the YouTubes. I would love to get to Overland Expo East this year. I believe it said its in Oct.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

View attachment 249033
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.