First Name
Abdulrazad
Last Name
Moussa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6SLG
Hi everyone,

I just joined the Overland Bound community yesterday and new to the forum. I'm always interested and wanted to do some overland expeditions with my family, but I don't know how to set up my rig. I have a 2010 Tundra 4 x 4 with the following upgrades because I wanted to do off-roading in the beginning: leveling kit with aftermarket coil overs and upper control arms, 35" wheels, camper shell, after market front bumper with a winch. However, I believe I will like overland more because my family and I do a lot of camping

I'm wondering what should be my next upgrade for weekend or few days expedition. I was thinking of investing in some good rock sliders because I have a step rail. I off-roaded last year and did a great job bending them.

Suggestions are welcome and thank you in advance!

Crusty Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashua, New Hampshire
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Levesque
Member #

Are you thinking a cap style camper or a slide in?
If you’re thinking of doing a cap style you could stick an RTT over the cap for the kids and you take the shell or vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AAMoussa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mission Viejo
First Name
Abdulrazad
Last Name
Moussa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6SLG
Thank you for your quick response. I know I NEED real rock sliders to protect the undercarriage from the rocks and terrain I'll be going over. I am new to this Overland ordeal and want to do things right the first time go and save a few $$$. You do you have any other essential rig mod recommendations that I should get one before the other (i.e. recovery kit (I have some but not sure what I need in the kit), roof rack, etc.)?

Reactions: Crusty Overland

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
You are on the right track in thinking sliders first. IMHO they are the best bang for the buck in vehicle protection. Skids are a good idea too but definitely sliders.

That’s a big truck, awesome but big. I had a 2008 and loved it. You may already have issues being wide on a trail. If you add a RTT, you’ll likely have overhead clearance issues.

I suggest packing the gear you already have and just going. Figure out from there want you to upgrade. We all like to solve issues we haven’t yet encountered, but that often leads to realizing you prioritized the wrong things.

Reactions: Gilbert

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
You are on the right track in thinking sliders first. IMHO they are the best bang for the buck in vehicle protection. Skids are a good idea too but definitely sliders.

That’s a big truck, awesome but big. I had a 2008 and loved it. You may already have issues being wide on a trail. If you add a RTT, you’ll likely have overhead clearance issues.

I suggest packing the gear you already have and just going. Figure out from there want you to upgrade. We all like to solve issues we haven’t yet encountered, but that often leads to realizing you prioritized the wrong things.

Crusty Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashua, New Hampshire
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Levesque
Member #

Thank you for your quick response. I know I NEED real rock sliders to protect the undercarriage from the rocks and terrain I'll be going over. I am new to this Overland ordeal and want to do things right the first time go and save a few $$$. You do you have any other essential rig mod recommendations that I should get one before the other (i.e. recovery kit (I have some but not sure what I need in the kit), roof rack, etc.)?
You should get a good first aid kit, tow ropes and chains, an axe, hatchet, pointed shovel, tool kit, cam cans or Jerry cans, a Yeti cooler would be a nice addition, traction mats/boards for mud, and any extra parts you see fit for the terrain ie: suspension parts you might break and u-joints. All depends on the ground you are looking to cover.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AAMoussa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mission Viejo
First Name
Abdulrazad
Last Name
Moussa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6SLG
Thank you very much everyone for your recommendations and lighting fast responses. I have a good direction for my rig mod.

Reactions: Crusty Overland

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
I would say vehicle protection would be high up. If your solo and break on the trail you could be stuck for a while. Then i would look to vehicle recovery operations. If your camping now you probably have the basics for that part of the journey. A good mapping program will be handy before the trip. We usually spend 3 to 6 months on research for a 10 to 14 day trip. Im weird though we are pre planned out for the next 3 years. I recommend keeping a list while out on an adventur and track items you see others using that would be beneficial to you or something that would make your trip better the next time. Most of all don't be afraid to come off the dirt once and awhile and get on the pavement. Not every dirt track or trail will lead you and your kids to all that our country has to see and offer. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to PM us or drop us an email.

Rubicajon@gmail

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Tent , sleeping bag , food , sense of adventure .... that's all you really need . Don't get caught up in the need for tons of equipment, use what you have and make changes along the way to better suit your personal needs . What works great for one person can be a real hassle for another .

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I think most of the responses are on point. Sliders and some sort of recovery gear would be the next things to buy. After that throw your tents and gear in your truck and take the family camping. Take notes on what worked and what didn't, jot down ideas you have at the time of what you think might help you next time. As soon as you get home your planning begins for your next adventure and this is the time to look over your notes. Good luck, have fun and get out there!!!

Sean Hank Haney

Reactions: FJTalon

Hiluxoverland

Rank III

Advocate II

A full tank of fuel and get out there, sliders of course are a must to protect your rig.

The more you get out they more you know what you need to be comfortable and prepared at your capacity. Take a pen and paper/note pad with you and as you discover something you wish you had and you will no matter how much you pack into your truck, write it down to bring with you for next time. Same goes for things you never use, get rid of them and utilize the cargo space for more useful items.

There is no perfect recipe for a camp trip, tones of variables to consider per rig/trail and owner.

Just get out there, it’s all part of the fun.

Welcome to the community

AAMoussa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mission Viejo
First Name
Abdulrazad
Last Name
Moussa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6SLG
Here are some pics of my Tundra overland built since I started approximately on year ago
20190203_070749.jpeg20190219_190716.jpeg20181119_121149.jpeg20180227_064215.jpeg20180812_201043.jpeg20180526_134051.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner

Kman220

Rank 0

Contributor I

CNY
This is awesome to see! I just joined and to see your transformation over the year is really cool! This looks like a great community and I’m glad I stumbled upon this forum! Nice Rig!

AAMoussa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mission Viejo
First Name
Abdulrazad
Last Name
Moussa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6SLG
Thank you very much. If you have a chance, go to one of the monthly OB meet-ups in your area that's where you can really get some amazing ideas for your rig. Here are some of my future upgrades:
  1. Expo One dual swing out rear bumper (en route). 14 weeks and still waiting. Finally got it; it only took six months. DONE
  2. Solar panel on top of the cab (have it waiting for the rear bumper; so, I can move all my recovery gear from top of the cap.) DONE
  3. Lights, lights, and lights (got the lights but need to save for the Switch-Pros). DONE
  4. Replace my little Odyssey PC 1750 battery for the Odyssey PC 1800 FT series, but have to save up for a bigger alternator (270 Amp) to recharg it and the solar solar panel to maintain while the engine is off. Done (didn't need the bigger alternator; the solar panel did the job just fine but had to get the 40 amp MPPT and worth every pennies), DONE
  5. Onboard water tank for cooking and showering (placement in where the spare tire was, underneath). DONE
  6. Upgrade my King Coil spring to 750 lbs and Deaver Custom Leaf Spring to stiff it up a little. DONE (Feb 2020)
  7. Cook Partner Stove 22" . DONE (Jun 2020)
  8. Budbuilt full stainless under armor. Still saving my pennies for it. DONE (June 2020)
  9. ARB twin compressor to replace my Powertank. Love the Powertank but I have a 20 pounder that takes up so much space in my Decked drawer. DONE (Aug 2020)
  10. Relocated the differential breathers. DONE
  11. Regear to 5.29 and Eaton eLockers. DONE (Mar 2021)
  12. Snorkel installed. DONE (May 2021)
  13. Auto start installed: DONE (May 2021)
  14. Conduct more runs to new places and complete the South Utah Traverse

Last edited: