Brysherexx

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas, USA
First Name
Bryshere
Last Name
Gary
I am used to traveling a lot with my 5th gen 4runner across SE US. Any suggestions on the following:

- Climate Control; if I am sleeping inside my vehicle or in a roof top tent, what do you recommend I can use to cool it down during hot months, when overlanding.

- Sleeping Bag? Inside mattress topper? What do you suggest?

Thank you for your help with this! I’m honestly just trying to get started.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I usually open my windows and put screens in order to get fresh air while keeping the bugs out. Plus I use a small fan that is powered by a usb and power bank to keep me cool. In terms of sleeping bag, I lay it on my air mattress and sleep on top of it while using a blanket to sleep.

20210821_185859.jpg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
we sometimes sleep in the tundra with a shell...which is pretty much the same as the 4-runner as far as being very tight and enclosed. we open a window at the front and use a 12v fan to exhaust out a rear window and create a cross breeze. its great in cooler weather, but still pretty hot if done in the summer. we use a bigger fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter port. it moves a good bit of air and sucks a little bit of power, so i have it on a dedicated 35ah battery in the shell so i dont accidentally kill my starting battery

1668252930771.jpeg
another option you can play with is to get 12v radiator fans and set one to suck from a window and another to exhaust out another window to create a good breeze and keep fresh air circulating. the radiator fans are fairly cheap, 12v, and made for a lot of hard use and come in a few different sizes for added flexibility

Last edited: