Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

I'll second the rechargable chainsaw. Not sure where you live but in Oregon trees are down all the time. It beats chopping or sawing. I also use the straps to drag it out of the road. The rest of your list looks good. Your only limited by your imagination and budget at this point

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
While I understand there is a difference, it seems like these terms are used interchangeable in the industry, which makes shopping difficult.
A lot of people do interchange the terms, but they shouldn't. D rings and bow shackles (these are also called clevis) are two different things. For starters, they look different. D-rings are really designed for tie downs, where bow shackles/clevises are designed for rigging. Any confusion, go to your local rigging store and ask for a d-ring. Just duck when you do!

• Haha
Reactions: Desert Runner

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

If a winch is a current/future consideration, you might want to check out the ComeUp product offered through Chevrolet Link I think it will qualify for the current twentyfive percent discount available on the GM accessory website for $500+ purchases Link . I added one to my Bison a couple of years ago when the same deal was active and its been solid - as good or better than the M8000 Warn on my TJ. You'll also need the AEV installation kit which I sourced through Chevy as well.

FWIW, I've been visiting the OBX for over fifty years, don't own a set of traction boards and very seldom see any of the locals with them. The same goes for a come-a-long. On the beach, I've helped jump start more vehicles who ran their batteries down than any other type of recovery so a good booster pack and/or set of cables is at the top of my gear list. Next would be a long handled shovel (required by the NPS for beach driving on Hatteras or Lookout) followed by a snatch strap with appropriate shackles. From what I've experienced on our coast, airing down to 15-18 psi and common sense driving will minimize the risk of getting stuck.

Last edited:

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
If a winch is a current/future consideration, you might want to check out the ComeUp product offered through Chevrolet Link I think it will qualify for the current twentyfive percent discount available on the GM accessory website for $500+ purchases Link . I added one to my Bison a couple of years ago when the same deal was active and its been solid - as good or better than the M8000 Warn on my TJ. You'll also need the AEV installation kit which I sourced through Chevy as well.

FWIW, I've been visiting the OBX for over fifty years, don't own a set of traction boards and very seldom see any of the locals with them. The same goes for a come-a-long. On the beach, I've helped jump start more vehicles who ran their batteries down than any other type of recovery so a good booster pack and/or set of cables is at the top of my gear list. Next would be a long handled shovel (required by the NPS for beach driving on Hatteras or Lookout) followed by a snatch strap with appropriate shackles. From what I've experienced on our coast, airing down to 15-18 psi and common sense driving will minimize the risk of getting stuck.
Jump battery is a great idea, I actually already have one but I'll add it to my OP. And yeah, for easy will driven routes I think you'd really have to try and get stuck.

Also in Oregon and a saw is probably my most used tool . Other than snow ( I tend to get myself stuck having to much fun ) I use straps and winches mostly for moving trees to big to move by hand .
A few people have mentioned this and after a bit of googling, it seems like even in GWNF this is not a terrible idea. Usually around here it's not trees but big limbs that will still cause you to have to turn around. I'd consider heavily one of the electric ones that uses the same batteries as other power tools.

Reactions: grubworm

dirk

Rank II

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Dirk
Last Name
PAINTEDMAN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DOB
SELF RECOVERY! ARB traction boards, get you out of mud sand deep gravel other stick places where the shovel will take hours the other bits w no winch you will stay there. Ham radio to call for help?

Steve-o623

Rank 0

Contributor I

Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Thompson
==========================================================================================
Your list is pretty complete, however you mentioned beach travel, and that is where you should invest in some traction boards. The X-Bull gen 2 or 3 or a clone are very reasonably priced and along with your shovel and compressor, should compliment what you already have. Just a note, the gen 2 do not nest with a gen 3 due to a slight change in design, so stick to the version you prefer. Also get a base extension for a jack, or make a square wood plate to support a jack (bottle or farm).

Depending on how deep into the beach or Dune area you go into, you might in that case up the board count from 1 pair to 2, so all 4 wheels are covered. Although for a medium truck, 2 would probably be sufficient in most cases.
If using only 2 traction boards do you use them in the front or rear of the vechile, or doesn’t it matter cause your in 4 wheel. Just curious. Thanks

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

If using only 2 traction boards do you use them in the front or rear of the vechile, or doesn’t it matter cause your in 4 wheel. Just curious. Thanks
I'll just start by saying I'm not an expert, so I apologize if I don't explain something right;

Your standard 4WD system is more complicated than just "give it gas and all 4 wheels will turn". With unlocked differentials (which is standard for most vehicles) power is going to take the path of least resistance. So, for a standard 4WD system, the transfer case will split power 50/50 between the front and rear axles. Then, the power will hopefully go evenly to each tire on the axle. But, if one tire is in the air or spinning in mud, it's going to get all the power on that axle because it's the path of least resistance. So, even if you are in 4WD, it's possible to end up in a situation where only 2 wheels are getting power, and usually they are the ones without good traction.
Here's a video that explains this more in depth/better than I can.

With that said, there's no real rule (that I'm aware of) to use boards in the front vs the back. You just want to use the boards to help the tires with poor traction to get better traction, so that all 4 tires will start to move again. That could mean one traction board for the front and one for the back. Plus also never forget that you can use a shovel/stack rocks to put some terrain under your tire.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I usually go with the axle that is most mired down.

Reactions: velo47