Before Overland Bound - What you drove/rode before joining?

• HTML tutorial

ChambersFamily

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Plains, OR, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Chambers
Member #

Oh this is my topic for sure! Having a strong automotive background, especially in the aftermarket world. I've been into everything, had a stint in the import world, I've had 3 different tacoma's ranging from hopped up 2.7's running nitrous that I used to street race but still off roaded haha, to a little more specific off road build... still ran nitrous though lol, I always seemed to get that 2.7 with a whooping 150hp it was easy power then I needed it. I then started to realize for the mpg I was getting I could have a full sized truck, and started to play in that realm. But now was missing my speed, so get into various superbikes. After many years and starting to hone in to my niche and now having a family, diesel's have been my jam for many many years having a build with around 1400 lb of torque, to my current truck that's much more tame but still has around 1000 lbtq to the wheels... But now have since changed from the race bikes to a more friendly cruiser. I've had around 25 or so different car's, truck's and bikes... so just grabbed some highlights. -Marshall celica.jpg97 taco.jpg04 ram 2.jpg04 ram.jpg10 r1.jpg2nd gen.jpgmean streak.jpg

Reactions: RideFlyDiveJeep

James.Laidlaw

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maineville, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Laidlaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7LTK
What a great thread! Talk about dredge out some nostalgia! My first brand new vehicle as well as official first overlanding vehicle was a 1987 Chevy S-10 Blazer. I had a CB, rooftop lights, a k40 Antenna on the roof, and a big 'ol box in the back to stash all my gear!

87Blazer1.jpg87Blazer2.jpg87Blazer6.jpg87 Blazer4.jpg

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

The 4runner is my first venture into off-road vehicles. As I get older I find myself longing to just get out and explore. Street driving is only so much fun.

My last vehicle was a 2017 Audi S6 - twin-turbo V8 pushing 450 HP / 406 Torque. Had heated and cooled seats with a massage feature, top-down camera, and all sorts of other unnecessary bells and whistles. I do miss that power and luxury though!

Prior to that I had a 2016 Audi SQ5 that I had bagged with custom AG wheels. Not sure why I went that route. Boredom I guess.
SQ5 Loading Dock 1.jpg

And prior to that I had a 2013 Audi A4 on Bilstein coilovers and AG wheels.

Everything before that were just ordinary old cars.

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

What a great thread! Talk about dredge out some nostalgia! My first brand new vehicle as well as official first overlanding vehicle was a 1987 Chevy S-10 Blazer. I had a CB, rooftop lights, a k40 Antenna on the roof, and a big 'ol box in the back to stash all my gear!

View attachment 155153View attachment 155154View attachment 155155View attachment 155156
That brings back memories of farmer's fields, being stuck in the mud, walk of shame to get their tractor to pull us out, and apologies.

• Haha
Reactions: James.Laidlaw

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

When I first started driving, an ‘87 Pontiac Fiero. No power anything. Moved up to a ‘99 Jeep Wrangler when I graduated from high school. Still have it on some 35’s with KC lights. Really got into overlanding when I got my current ‘17 LR5.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Oh this is my topic for sure! Having a strong automotive background, especially in the aftermarket world. I've been into everything, had a stint in the import world, I've had 3 different tacoma's ranging from hopped up 2.7's running nitrous that I used to street race but still off roaded haha, to a little more specific off road build... still ran nitrous though lol, I always seemed to get that 2.7 with a whooping 150hp it was easy power then I needed it. I then started to realize for the mpg I was getting I could have a full sized truck, and started to play in that realm. But now was missing my speed, so get into various superbikes. After many years and starting to hone in to my niche and now having a family, diesel's have been my jam for many many years having a build with around 1400 lb of torque, to my current truck that's much more tame but still has around 1000 lbtq to the wheels... But now have since changed from the race bikes to a more friendly cruiser. I've had around 25 or so different car's, truck's and bikes... so just grabbed some highlights. -Marshall
Great looking fleet. In case the Earth stops spinning can NASA borrow your truck to get it going again? Before here I had a 2001 Jeep Liberty with 6" and 33"s, and still have a 2009 Yamaha FZ1. Split the difference coming from my 2004 R6S and a cruiser. FZ1 is an epic bike. All vehicles now have the Overland Bound badge. Last big bike trip was to Tail of the Dragon and the badge was a constant conversation piece.
2569996 (1).jpg

Reactions: ChambersFamily

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i got stationed in groton, ct when i was 18 and that is when i got rid of my car and bought a subaru brat and got into hiking and backpacking up in the new england states. that subaru was a beast and took me all over the place

1591987711409.png

Last edited:

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I had a lowered french convertible when I joined OB, it was so low that the rear tires would rub when I had any kind of weight in the trunk, the roof never worked when the sun was out and it cost a fortune to maintain.

Then I bought a 4wd 2005 Hyundai Tucson softroader which cost an even bigger fortune to maintain, I sold that cheap when I got tired of fixing it every month, waited 4 months and bought a small cheap hatchback in febuary.

These where usually sold here in Norway with a 75 hp/81 lb-ft 1.2 16V engine, but mine has the "big" 125 hp/121 lb-ft 1.8 16V engine which makes it so much more fun to drive.

(I know it may not sound like much with 125 hp/122 ft-lb from a 1.8 16V engine, but the car is super lightweight at only 2250 lbs)

I have a few ideas/plans for it, but nobody wants to see a factory lowered hatchback in here.

My plan with this is to keep it as a daily driver until it needs a new inspection in October 2021, that should also allow me to save up and probably my next vehicle.

Last edited:

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Ok here’s my list of previous vehicles starting first to latest:

87 Suburban 454 2wd
87 Blazer 2dr 2wd
99 Intrepid p.o.s
02 Jetta 2.0
92 Civic Si hatchback
97 Ranger 2wd pre-runner
DA698585-7C66-4146-BFFA-CAA1B1EB6832.jpeg
98 Audi A4
3D787352-A66B-4758-9AA7-07390AEECB99.png12 Mini Cooper Countryman all4 p.o.s
464B8426-C06B-49F1-88A7-69232BBAC2D5.jpeg
12 Escape p.o.s - currently my other daily

Now I have my 4runner!

As you can see i was into dirt adventure in my early days, went to sport compact street machines for a bit, wanted to get back into dirt and thought I could get away with those crappy crossovers (which was a mistake to say the least) and finally went back to a real vehicle, body on frame V6 4x4. Needless to say, I will never go back!! I’ll probably only be buying Toyota for the remainder of my life lol.

Reactions: Brett L.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

The better question is what didn’t I drive?

2001 Chevy Blazer
2008 Nissan Versa
1984 Mazda RX-7
1997 Ford Explorer
2008 Mazda RX-8
1999 VW Passat
1998 Honda Accord
2014 Ford Fusion
2000 Jeep Cherokee
2000 Jeep Cherokee (parts car)
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2018 Nissan Frontier (current)