Bear Country Camping?

• HTML tutorial

HighSierraOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fresno, CA
Member #

What are the rules, if there are any, for the dispersed car camping everyone does when on their trips? I've seen quite a few people with coolers, candles, and other things with scents left out over night (or perhaps I'm just assuming this).

In the Sierra Nevada you are supposed to have these in bear canisters and or bear proof lockers correct? Obviously with the lockers not being around, and a cooler not fitting in a bear canister, is it a kind of risk you have to take? Is it illegal to do this, or are laws different with vehicles in areas that don't have said lockers?

Just wanting to know the specifics before I start doing trips like a lot of you, and maybe could learn some things about keeping food safe. I try to keep most of my meals dehydrated so it's a simple packing system, but at times it wouldn't hurt to have a cooler with some cold drinks and other things.

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I went on a 7 day Caribou hunt when I was younger. We got bear proof food containers from the airport if I remember right..left a deposit... We had a second tent that was 100 yards away from us. We did all of our cooking and stuff like there.