Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Waco, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Dooley
Member #

Hey all! I am heading out to Padre Island with the family for a last minute camping trip for the weekend. I'm a noob and have a 2014 4Runner SR5 4WD and just wanted to know if airing down the tires will be necessary? I've only driven dirt trails and this will be the first time in sand.

Just wanted to be prepared and get some feedback from those familiar with beach driving (and Padre Island)

Cheers!

sea_ledford

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ledford
Member #

Check the tides too, especially around full moons and if there is any storm action in the gulf. When the last storm hit LA, there was mass vehicular carnage on PINS from everyone getting stuck with the storm surge in combination with the super high tide.

Reactions: Bri4Runner

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
You will want to air down to about 12psi for beach sand driving. Have fun and watch out for the sand covered trees while running down the coast.
Be sure to take a small shovel and a tow/snatch strap with you, too.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

I have driven to Land Cut over 50 times, pulled out many trucks that thought they had what it takes and I have never aired down once. I have never gotten stuck, and I have made the trip in stock street tires, mudders, and ATs. I have made it in my Titan, Frontier, Wrangler and with all configuration of each. My most recent trip out there was in my Frontier in stock Hankook street tires.
I guess there is a first for everything though.aaa111.JPGIMG_1201.JPG

Last edited:

Bri4Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Waco, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Dooley
Member #

Thanks guys for your replies, tips and experiences. I was prepared to air down but here was no need. The sand was easy to drive on and saw plenty of 2wd cars driving up and down the coast. Checked the tides and wasn't too concerned with rain but didn't even consider the wind... Ended up being a bit much for the tents so we didn't camp overnight. Overall had a great experience and plan on heading out again!

FWIW - we did talk with a Park Ranger and they do warn that the further up the coast you drive the more difficult it may get.

Attachments

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

Yeah that is when a 4x4 is needed, every truck I have ever had was a 4x4 for that reason, (I hate limitations), Glade you enjoyed our little beach.