Beach camping

• HTML tutorial

Keylay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cypress, Texas
Member #

@Beachcruiser, if that's the case, i'd be open to causing to San Luis pass. I've been there before, but would prefer not to camp there. May see if galveston island sp has a site for the night so the kid can get showered from a day in the sand. Then on Sunday, mosey over to Boliver for Sunday night.

Reactions: IronPercheron

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Also, park facing or away from water, not vertical to water. I've seen wind blow sand hard enough to bury tires in sand drift. Also, as wind blows inland from water, it reduces the sand blowing into your rig! And lastly, air down!

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

San Luis Pass south to Surfside? How's beach access there and is camping allowed?
I used to drive my pickup around Surfside about 10 years ago, but never camped.
I want to take the grandkids and nieces and nephews there sometime soon.

Beachcruiser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brazoria, Texas, United States
First Name
Cecil
Last Name
Mcelveen
Member #

San Luis Pass south to Surfside? How's beach access there and is camping allowed?
I used to drive my pickup around Surfside about 10 years ago, but never camped.
I want to take the grandkids and nieces and nephews there sometime soon.
Camping is decent and less crowded between the surfside pay beach are and SLP, on the county beach area around 2-5. The sand has been hard packed for the most part except around the main entrance to surfside pay beach area to the water tower entrance which is yucca street. It's easily assessable with 4 x 4 The beach water is amazing right now.

Reactions: TXpedition

Keylay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cypress, Texas
Member #

Left Houston around 3pm on Monday and arrived just in time to see this sunset.

Oriented the tent opening facing south east, which ended up being an awful choice. Even with rain tarp, sand filled the tent ALL night. At least two pounds of sand in the morning was emptied.

First time using the ARB Awning. Defiantly an awesome addition.

Things i learned:
- sand get everywhere
- wind has nothing stopping it
- plan/ organize and pack ahead of time instead of night before or day of

Beachcruiser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brazoria, Texas, United States
First Name
Cecil
Last Name
Mcelveen
Member #

Left Houston around 3pm on Monday and arrived just in time to see this sunset.

Oriented the tent opening facing south east, which ended up being an awful choice. Even with rain tarp, sand filled the tent ALL night. At least two pounds of sand in the morning was emptied.

First time using the ARB Awning. Defiantly an awesome addition.

Things i learned:
- sand get everywhere
- wind has nothing stopping it
- plan/ organize and pack ahead of time instead of night before or day of
Well the main thing is , y'all had a good time. beach camping is always different. The wind is a pain to deal with at times, but if it's not blowing the skeeters will eat you alive. We camped on surfside beach Friday ,, I think the wind changed directions like 4 times. Once it finally started coming out of the north it felt amazing.

Attachments

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Cool, We want to get down to Cape Lookout N Seashore in the near future. Just when is the best time of year to go in order to avoid a lot of other campers? We were thinking November thru March. I know, I'm a nut job, it's winter and anything could happen, but thats what's cool about going then. As far as the OP, be sure to bring multiple traction aids and more than one shovel.
We head down that way pretty often. Anytime between Labor Day and Memorial Day is going to be off-season, and give you a bit more alone time. Obviously the more towards winter you get, the less people you'll see.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I have something like this bamboo shower mat that would probably also work well for getting the sand off your feet before going into the tent.

Chad

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Is there any camping on the bay side?
I've got a spot around Port Aransas that is good for camping because it is hard packed sand and doesn't blow, the wind is cut down a bit and easy access to town/the road. It is also good for getting bait if you wait a tidal cycle. Then I hop on a ferry for mustang island surf fishing.

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

I will be doing pins August 19 and 20th. I will be ground camping with my wife and 2 year old. I will do some of the tips and let you know what I did/ what I should of done it will defiantly be an experience.

DMill556

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dawsonville, Ga
Member #

Obvious, however it has to be said, do not park in the "tide zone". Park further from it actually. Because that one freak evening where the moons of the entire galaxy are aligned and cause a higher than normal tide can and will probably be on the day you park your truck on the beach! Can't stress enough the importance to allow space from the tide line!

Also, depending on the type of sand and conditions, parking on some kind of traction aid like Maxxtrax, wood boards, or even floor mats may help with driving off from your parking spot after a long evening. Wind gusts can bury your tires in sand and before you know it, your frame is sitting on the ground!

and another obvious tip: Air Down! :)
Other wise, have a great time!!!

We go to the Out Banks of North Carolina in the spring. There is a small island that is only accessible by about a two hour ferry ride from main land that we camp on.
We are planning to go to Portsmouth island next year, is the spring the best time of the year to go? I think the summer months would be too hot for us.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I will be doing pins August 19 and 20th. I will be ground camping with my wife and 2 year old. I will do some of the tips and let you know what I did/ what I should of done it will defiantly be an experience.
I saw tidal warnings yesterday on their site, might want to call the park.

I've been in Matagorda when a combination of tides and a wind shift put the water half way up the dunes and people lost a lot of gear.

But if it looks good, can you send me a pm with beach conditions? I was thinking about heading that way Saturday and Sunday.

Reactions: T4RZAKK

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
Headed down to the coast in Texas for first or second weekend in October. Any tips on beach camping?
You're going to need stakes that work in loose sand. I learned this the hard way!
Be sure you camp above the high tide mark :flushed: