New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Pratt
Member #

Service Branch
Army
So I’m looking for a system I can install on my overland trailer, looking for suggestions that won’t require me to refinance my home!!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My dual set up is all AGM and under the hood. I bought everything separately and put it all together myself for way less than any kits or self contained units.. might have been less than $150 total. Adding solar was the cost of 2 panels, 20ft of line, and a $75 controller from Renogy. I learned everything I needed from instruction literature & YouTube. Everyone’s want/needs are different .

Enthusiast I

United States
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Nope
How much power do you need? Want?

The newer lithium power banks are making dual batteries more and more difficult to justify. Especially with the new "charging" hacks that many are doing utilizing the voltage convertors providing power into the solar port for fast charging.

Tinkerer's Adventure reviews Ecoflow Delta 2

Tinkerer's Adventure fixes the slow charge issue.

Wanderlost Overland dual battery system

There are plenty of options out there, if you decide on a power bank pick the unit that works for you in your budget.

Having said that, I currently run dual under hood AGM batteries.
The cost of a good quality AGM battery that will last is only going up.
Add to that you will need an alternator in excellent condition, possibly one with higher output and now the price continues to increase (also true if you plan to charge a power bank from your vehicle)
From there, how you isolate/charge your secondary/house battery will need to be evaluated.
Will you be running batteries of different size? Same size? Will you isolate? Run in parallel with no isolation?

There are tons of options so you can customize your system to be exactly what you want ... but first you have to figure out what you need, and then what you want.

Right now, for me, having done all the wiring and doing it "just the way I wanted it" a dual battery system was the way to go. Is it the only way? No, there are plenty of other options.

GOOD LUCK! Post up your progress and keep us informed!

JackAttack

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ripley QLD, Australia
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Fredericks
Member #

Depends on exactly what you want the system to accomplish. Basic, reliable lithium setup is going to be the best way to go. Rough list below:

1. 100/120AH LiFPO4 Battery ($500-$1000 AUD)
  2. Battery Box ($60-$150 AUD)
  3. 25A DCDC Charger W/ MPPT Solar Input ($300-$500 AUD)
  4. Wiring etc ($100-$300 AUD)
  5. Optional Solar Panel
If you want to have a more in depth chat around what you'll need based on your specific needs I'll be happy to help.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Depends on exactly what you want the system to accomplish. Basic, reliable lithium setup is going to be the best way to go. Rough list below:

1. 100/120AH LiFPO4 Battery ($500-$1000 AUD)
  2. Battery Box ($60-$150 AUD)
  3. 25A DCDC Charger W/ MPPT Solar Input ($300-$500 AUD)
  4. Wiring etc ($100-$300 AUD)
  5. Optional Solar Panel
If you want to have a more in depth chat around what you'll need based on your specific needs I'll be happy to help.
Pretty much this. I would also add a fuse box and plug/switch panel. Need to access that power somehow. I just installed a system in my truck camper. There's also the plug and play systems which have done all the work for you. I went modular because if 1 piece goes bad, the whole thing doesn't need to be replaced. That said, I also have a 500W Lithium Cube from Wagan Tech to compliment the integrated system.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I'm in the middle of a re-vamp of some of my power supplies, B2B charging, solar, battery monitoring etc... etc...
But ......... struggling to justify the cost of changing from 2x 120ahr lead acid leisure batteries to Lithium (with associated equipment costs) but that's purely justification based on cost alone (which I know is the wrong way to look a it ... :flushed: ).

I think I'm in the situation that once my current lead batteries start to show signs of need for replacement, then I'll change to Lithium, but for now, they're 2 years old and showing no signs of degradation. My original philosophy, was "for the price of one Lithium, I can buy several lead acid a number of times. With Lithium costs coming down, that's les and less of a justified argument!!!!!

The technical merits don't need justification. From an operational and maintenance point of view, Lithium is no brainer.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Every generator I service has lead acid batteries. Changed out every 24 months.

With any battery, you're gambling reliability when they age. So cheaper fresher batteries make sense.

Obviously a non mission critical house battery can be gambled with, longer. Buy my starter battery always needs to be fresh.

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
How much power do you need? Want?

The newer lithium power banks are making dual batteries more and more difficult to justify. Especially with the new "charging" hacks that many are doing utilizing the voltage convertors providing power into the solar port for fast charging.

Tinkerer's Adventure reviews Ecoflow Delta 2

Tinkerer's Adventure fixes the slow charge issue.

Wanderlost Overland dual battery system

There are plenty of options out there, if you decide on a power bank pick the unit that works for you in your budget.

Having said that, I currently run dual under hood AGM batteries.
The cost of a good quality AGM battery that will last is only going up.
Add to that you will need an alternator in excellent condition, possibly one with higher output and now the price continues to increase (also true if you plan to charge a power bank from your vehicle)
From there, how you isolate/charge your secondary/house battery will need to be evaluated.
Will you be running batteries of different size? Same size? Will you isolate? Run in parallel with no isolation?

There are tons of options so you can customize your system to be exactly what you want ... but first you have to figure out what you need, and then what you want.

Right now, for me, having done all the wiring and doing it "just the way I wanted it" a dual battery system was the way to go. Is it the only way? No, there are plenty of other options.
collins landscaping group
GOOD LUCK! Post up your progress and keep us informed!
I had the pleasure of spending time with Texas Instruments at CES 2023 to learn about everything they are doing in the world of EV and we had a deep dive into their new BMS offerings and some of their charging platforms. They are also launching pyro elements and a active pre-charge system that could be suitable for DIY builds. Here is a video that Electrified Veronika did with the TI team talking about their BMS and what it does. Not very sales oriented and a good overview of what a BMS system does and why. Maybe it is a good introduction video for people that are interested.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Every generator I service has lead acid batteries. Changed out every 24 months.

With any battery, you're gambling reliability when they age. So cheaper fresher batteries make sense.

Obviously a non mission critical house battery can be gambled with, longer. Buy my starter battery always needs to be fresh.
The credit card folks won't like this but it's true. LOL
:grimacing:
Zim