Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don't want to cause an argument, but I believe the UV-5x (UV-5g) is also type accepted for GMRS use. FCC ID: 2AN62-UV5G
I need to do some research on this, because it is part certified for GMRS, BUT it still has a VFO (GMRS radios have to be channelized and can’t transmit out of frequency for the given Chanel), the UV5G can transmit on the VHF frequencies with or without the use of chirp. However, I did find it interesting that the owners manual states that the low power settings for channels 8-14 are correct (I would like to verify that though).

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles
First Name
Pierson
Last Name
Jacquelin
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JYC
I am a US licensed ham and own 5 of the UV-5R's.

Pros:
  • Cheap enough to own lots and hand them out to people for day use or for unexpectedly needing to talk to a group on GMRS.
  • Able to numerically enter HAM and GMRS freqs (have the GRMS channel chart handy)
  • They come in cool colors
  • You can easily increase range with a rooftop magmount antenna.
Cons:
  • Build quality is bad, they last about a year and then things start to fall apart (antennas fell apart, volume knob doesn't work anymore, one just stopped working)
  • They suffer from interference--when I'm using mine, I have to use them in CTCSS mode (aka, Privacy Codes) or they are constantly chirping with break-through squelch noise. This works in a small, closed group but gets messy when interoperability with other groups is needed.
Bottom Line:
  • There is definitely a place for them, but consider spending more for better quality GMRS radios that last longer.
  • Get your HAM tech license; a whole new world of range and build quality will open up to you. It's easy and SOOOO worth it.
  • No matter what, learn to field program your radio and understand what Privacy Codes (CTCSS) are if you are going the BaoFeng route.
  • Consider a Kenwood TM-V71 and mount it in your vehicle (not hard at all) since you can mod them to do both Ham and GMRS (not suggesting you actually transmit since that would be technically illegal...)
  • Get your HAM tech license!
Have fun out there!

-P & The Gold Eagle

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I need to do some research on this, because it is part certified for GMRS, BUT it still has a VFO (GMRS radios have to be channelized and can’t transmit out of frequency for the given Chanel), the UV5G can transmit on the VHF frequencies with or without the use of chirp. However, I did find it interesting that the owners manual states that the low power settings for channels 8-14 are correct (I would like to verify that though).
IIRC the "VFO" is receive only.

Reactions: M Rose