sfonteno

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
First Name
seth
Last Name
fontenot
Balance rim on 5 gallon bucket, pay attention to the dots on the tire, should be pretty damn close to balanced if you do both of those steps.

Don't believe the internet morons, beadlocks should not leak at all, make sure the mating surfaces are spotless, use soapy water to check for leaks.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Balance rim on 5 gallon bucket, pay attention to the dots on the tire, should be pretty damn close to balanced if you do both of those steps.

Don't believe the internet morons, beadlocks should not leak at all, make sure the mating surfaces are spotless, use soapy water to check for leaks.
Can you describe what you're talking about? The OP wanted to know about "balance beads" which are used throughout the truck tire industry all over the world. Has nothing to do with bead locks.
Zim

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Anyone here has any experience with balancing beads? Would you mind sharing the experience?
You should be able to balance a tire with wheel weights but if you have a difficult tire you can use beads however I would let a trained or experienced tire tech do it for you. I've done many MT and AT tires but they were well used and probably should have been replaced.
Zim

Reactions: NJ Rodz

Matt9

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bear Valley Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Perkins
Member #

tried them once. terrible ride. also had a bead get stuck in in the valve stem after airing down woke up to a completely flat tire. sounded like there is a special valve stem the shop giant install went back to the shop and had them removed and refunded

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've used them on and off over the years on Jeeps and motorcycles. I've had mixed results. Sometimes they've worked other times not so much. Can't explain it. I've had much better luck with a basic static balancer and some stick on lead weights.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I balance my MT's once.

Most of the out of balance complaints online, are from people unused to the MT rumble at low speeds. They naturally went back to the tire shop and forced them to make it worse.

Also people that don't rotate enough. Get a rough wear pattern. They rebalance, and that wear screws with the machine, and boom, ya'll made it worse.

Beads work. But having to constantly explain what's going on to a tire tire tech, or moronic service writer every single time I need tire work done......is too tiresome. (These jabronies don't even know what a plug-patch is)

Metal beads and a gallon of Green Slime was our go to for a long time. Now I only run air.