Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Stafford, Virginia, United States
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Cruz
Member #

I’ve seen and heard many overlanders and off-roaders list bailing wire as a must-have in one’s recovery kit. Not being a “country boy” but one that’s into preparedness and self recovery, I’d like to better understand it’s use. It is an alternative to duct tape? Is it for use as a replacement for when a bolt shakes loose and rattles off?

-Mahalo,
Alex

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
I’ve seen and heard many overlanders and off-roaders list bailing wire as a must-have in one’s recovery kit. Not being a “country boy” but one that’s into preparedness and self recovery, I’d like to better understand it’s use. It is an alternative to duct tape? Is it for use as a replacement for when a bolt shakes loose and rattles off?

-Mahalo,
Alex
The advantage is that you can strap stuff together and heat will not affect the ere. Duct tape is useless on a broken muffler or similar.

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE

-Mahalo,
Alex
The advantage is that you can strap stuff together and heat will not affect the ere. Duct tape is useless on a broken muffler or similar.
Wire*

Reactions: blacatoe

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

In the shop or on the road, bailing/mechanic wire is just plain useful to have around. Its really up to how imaginative you have to be in a moment. In a pinch it can lash gear, hold broken latches or hinges, hang exhaust, secure wiring/hard lines and even shifter linkages.

Secure broken/loose body parts like headlamp assemblies and busted fog lights.

You get the idea. You'll probably be surprised how you will end up using it when you have it on hand. Cheers!

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
With the right tool it can be used to make hose clamps. It can also be used temporarily in place of a Cotter pin, also its useful to hold this out of the way while making repairs.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Try this video of a simply made tool - it shows how to used bailing wire as really strong clamps. I made the tool after watching the video and it is now in my trail kit.

THAT is one awesome tool. The wire clamps it helps create are just about as awesome, too, with their regular banding and pressure.

I'd love to see the one you made, too.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

Mountain Spirit Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Dubai United Arab Emirates
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Alderson
Member #

THAT is one awesome tool. The wire clamps it helps create are just about as awesome, too, with their regular banding and pressure.

I'd love to see the one you made, too.

Here's the one I made, but with an 1/4" extension bar with a couple holes in it to tension the wire.

Attachments

Reactions: Speric and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

-Mahalo,
Alex
Hey Alex -

You can use baling wire for all sorts of things. Imagination is your only limitation, really. Originally known more for binding bales of stuff--hence the name--typically hay or cardboard, it's regularly used for attaching fence to posts (not just farm fences), in garden and greenhouse business, auto biz for reattaching parts temporarily, just all sorts of uses.

I keep a small coil of finer gauge around all the time, both in my vehicle and on the workbench. In fact, in looking for wire I can use for the nose bridge on face masks I'm making for health care workers, I have some on my desk right now. So, I was surprised to see this thread pop up!

balerwire_0900-900.jpg
I've used wire to help keep things organized, too, like kept nuts and washers strung on a length of it in the past, formed into a ring. Keeps it handy and serves a purpose while being stored.

I used a length one time to keep tie rod linkage back together 'til I got back to where I could work on it.

If looking for it online you may have better luck searching for "baler wire." Remember the bigger the number, the smaller the wire gauge. 16 is thinner than 14, for example.

AWG-sizechart.jpg

Hardware stores, as mentioned, if they're open around you, usually have wire.
Tractor Supply usually has more, though right now all they're listing online is red Brand Baler Wire 14.5 gauge, though I didn't look real deep.
Amzn has a wide selection of types, sizes, and lengths. The best price there seems to be the 200' roll of 16ga for $6.98.
I keep some of this around all the time, too, for a variety of uses and projects: Green Garden Wire 22ga.
ULine has baling wire, but primarily in much bigger coils.

Hope you find some to keep around and find creative ways to use it!

Mahalo

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Bailing wire is a good thing to carry since it is lightweight, strong, and heat resistant. I carry some 16 gauge galvanized bailing wire in my recovery kit.

As mentioned above, you can also use wire to create hose clamps. I do this on airlines using .041" (18 gauge) Safety Lock Wire and a Clamptite tool. I usually avoid carrying specialty tools, but this particular tool lives in my truck since there are many cases where a strong clamp/tie would be useful.