Backyard's M416 Overland Trailer Build!

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
With 2 days to spare I finished the trailer just before we planned to leave in our vacation. Had 3 friends help me out the tent on the rack then took it out for a test drive. She towed great. 75mph no problem as long as the roads are smooth.

We went to CO for 2 weeks. The first few nights were in a little canyon on the Poudre River outside of Fort Collins. We got to relax and do some fishing. Caught a bunch of rainbows.

Then we went into RMNP as we had a a backcountry permit for 2 nights.

Then we headed to the San Juan mountains in the SW and did the Alpine Loop. That as incredible. Proud to say the trailer went up and over Engineer & Cinnamon Pass.

The trailer o performed great. The water system worked and 21G was perfect. My 11 lb propane tank was plenty for our meals. The actuators worked as they should and gave me no issues… wished they were a little faster at times lol but no big deal.

One thing I noticed that I will adjust over winter is my fender to tire clearance. Once the trailer was loaded up I lost a bit of clearance and I want at least a 1” more.
On the rough trails the brackets I made for the telescopic tubing / tent rack wasn’t as sturdy as I would like. I made them out of .125” and they need to be thicker. Will probably have some lasered out of 3/8” and be done with it.
Also want to add an awning of some type.
So those are my projects to come.

Attachments