Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I needed/wanted a new backpacking/camping quilt for colder trips. My current down quilt is rated to 35 degrees but is woefully lacking in temps freezing and below. So I shopped around, read reviews, checked pricing and determined a 15 degree down quilt was a stretch for the budget ($400-$500). I decided on an APEX Climashield (7.5oz) synthetic quilt from a cottage industry Hammock equipment company, Arrowhead Equipment. (made in USA). The quilt has a 2' deep insulated foot box and is 50" wide at the shoulders, and an optional strap to secure to a sleeping pad. It works for tent camping/RTT or hammock camping. Total weight is 1lb 10oz and cost $215.

I've slept in it two nights with the first in the mid 30's and the second around 42. I was really toasty warm and never tucked the quilt around myself but started the first night tucked and untucked shortly after as it was just too warm. Also the quilt has a silky smooth feel which adds to the comfort level. The construction quality is first rate and appears that it will last for years to come.
AHE Packed.jpgAHE Front.jpg
AHE Back.jpg

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
A backpacking quilt is all i ever se anymore. I have the Kammok one rated down to 35* its been more than sufficient for me on all my trips so far. and has that silky smooth good ness to it as well. it compresses down nice in a stuff sack or I can even keep it in my RTT. which I love because I have a lowpro one and it adds no bulk. My wife was iffy on them until our last two trips ans she really got to get used to them and now I think I have her sold on them too hahahaha. I really love them and think they must contain some kind of magic hahahaha

Reactions: Biker Eagle

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I switched to a quilt about 8 years ago. Love being able to move around at night. I have a 10 degree, 900 fill down quilt from Enlightened Equipment. It has a short, zippered foot box, elastic straps to secure it to the sleeping pad and a collar with snaps to keep it closed. I’ve slept down to the upper teens in a backpacking tent with just the quilt and been plenty warm.
Katabatic and Loco Libre also make great quilts.

Reactions: Coreymol