First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Hello everybody!

I am gradually working on building out a mobile office for remote work while overlanding. I was almost set to pull the trigger on Starlink RV, when I read a couple of thoughtful reviews which pointed out that it is not the all-in-one solution I was hoping it was (if such a thing exists). I'm hoping that there are some community members that can share their experiences with the various options that exist out there.

My remote work does not involve much videoconferencing, though voice conferences are routine. Mostly I do data entry and review documents. I use 350-450GB of data per month between work and home (mostly for home), though this would be less on the road, and doesn't need to be super high speed in any case (I am limited by a work VPN to relatively low speed). So the cap a lot of hotspots have of 20gb before throttling isn't a big deal (as long as the throttling isn't ridiculous). However, it is essential that I have the most reliable connection possible which offers at least some connectivity.

My main concerns with Starlink are the requirement for an unobstructed sky view and the fact that it runs on 120V only. The sky view would be an issue in most campsites I have used. I mainly camp national forests and other public lands available in the eastern US. I do not have any desire to camp RV parks and things like that, where I may as well just pay for their wifi anyway. When I can get to the western US, that is less of an issue, but it's still a limiting factor in mountain valleys, for example. There may not be a viable solution for mountain valleys, and I can plan around that, but that still leaves me without solutions for forested areas. I know there is a hack for running Starlink on 12V, but while I'm relatively handy, splicing wires on expensive gear when I don't really know what I'm doing is more than I'm willing to take on. I have a 1500w modified sine wave inverter, but I'm hesitant to rely on it for long periods of time. My deep cycle is already powering a mini-fridge, fan, and charging electronics. So efficiency is important. As with everything gear-wise, this is a balancing act.

So the other options appear to be something like Nomad wireless, or a combination of a wireless hotspot in conjunction with a signal booster or MIMO router (or both?), and that's where the options become mind boggling to me.

What I'm really looking for is an exact setup someone has had good luck with. Someone who also likes to go to relatively remote spots to camp, and where their setup has allowed them at least some minimal level of reliable connectivity (where a plain cell phone may not have worked). I can accept I won't have signal everywhere, but I'm hoping to get gear that can open up more areas to me.

Thanks in advance, and happy overlanding!

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Not sure of the national forrests that you are in, but a vast majority of the time I dont have cell service and a cell booster is an ornament out there. I do have starlinkrv and every time I have gone into the forrest in Idaho i almost always have a decent view of the sky. Im getting ready to go full time (start this weekend) so I did the 12v conversion which is very easy to do, just need to know how to crimp rj45 connectors and set up the POE injector. Its super easy.

With that i have only been out withstarlink into the forrest once aince I have gotten it, but it stays on in the trailer whenever it is parked so I can monitor the victron system from anywhere and the gps will be on. I dont know mucb about any of the other systems. but I do know that starlink is a great deal price wise and has worked for me without any problems. Having a 75' cable also helps with the stand so you can move it out a ways if needed. I have it mounted up top on the RV for better sky views. You can also look into a pole mount to get it higher if in super dense forrest area.

Reactions: Jim SoG

dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
I think Starlink RV is currently the best all around solution, unless some type of live communication is required (it's not good for zoom calls or live gaming...) It's pretty easy to pick site locations that have reasonable view of the sky, there's an app for that. Yes, connection can be lost in the trees but it returns shortly and the speed is fast while it's up. The entire system can run off a modest size portable power station, which can be kept charged via solar or vehicle.

I understand there are some blind spot in the eastern US. That would require some looking into. We have Starlink and Verizon (with a booster). Regarding locations, Verizon is much more restrictive than Starlink. We can travel for hours without a good cell signal. I can always find a clear enough spot for Starlink to work. I admit that we are often in remote areas. If you tend to stay near towns, cell towers are reliable.

Here's my contribution to the subject, the video description has stats regarding power requirements...

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I think Starlink RV is currently the best all around solution, unless some type of live communication is required (it's not good for zoom calls or live gaming...) It's pretty easy to pick site locations that have reasonable view of the sky, there's an app for that. Yes, connection can be lost in the trees but it returns shortly and the speed is fast while it's up. The entire system can run off a modest size portable power station, which can be kept charged via solar or vehicle.

I understand there are some blind spot in the eastern US. That would require some looking into. We have Starlink and Verizon (with a booster). Regarding locations, Verizon is much more restrictive than Starlink. We can travel for hours without a good cell signal. I can always find a clear enough spot for Starlink to work. I admit that we are often in remote areas. If you tend to stay near towns, cell towers are reliable.

Here's my contribution to the subject, the video description has stats regarding power requirements...
This has not been my experience at all. I participate in zoom calls for a few hours a week and have played online games with starlink with no problems. As long as i can get a decent view with little obstructions its flawless. Even with obstructions i still rarely run into problems with voip or other connectivity such as streaming.

Reactions: Sparksalot

dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
This has not been my experience at all. I participate in zoom calls for a few hours a week and have played online games with starlink with no problems. As long as i can get a decent view with little obstructions its flawless. Even with obstructions i still rarely run into problems with voip or other connectivity such as streaming.
Naturally it just depends on how open the sky is.

Author: The Starlink app shows the actual breaks in service. It can also predict down time based on the percent of obstructions. Sometimes the connection will be lost for fractions of a second, other times minutes.

You can download the app for free and do your own testing to learn more about obstructions...

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Yes i use the app and look at obstructions. Even when the apo told me that i was going to be obstructed every 2 minutes i was getting enough service to do zoom meetings and stream. I have been using starlink now for a month and a half in ID, NV, AZ, NM, OK, MO, and KY. in every place but my current spit in KY I have had this warning. Most of the areas I have stops had trees that I could not avoid. I still didnt have a problem and the interruption due to obstruction would show a very long list. Yet I could count on one hand how many time my service was noticably disrupted (a dropped zoom call or no connection) Im not saying it does not happen, but it has not been anywhere near my experience in my travels.

I know the attached picture is dark but even with these giant trees around I never had a noticeable service interruption in 5 days.

Attachments

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Although I'm in the UK & Europe, my experience with Starlink for mobile work has been nothing but positive, and I can same the same for a couple of friends in the same situation as you.

SL does need a clear view of the sky, but it's not often this is not possible. Even though the app might report partial obstruction, it will go on working and, assuming you're not using a huge bandwidth, you probably won't notice the odd split second or two of a drop out. Many people get hung up over speed tests and latency, which are obviously good indicators of a decent connection, but in reality, unless it's almost at a stand still, most internet surfing won't be affected.

Data caps appear to be a thing of the past now, and as normal, with everything, most of what you read in the press, or on social media, is the bad news. There's thousands, if not millions, of happy users out there, most of which you'll never hear from, because they just get on with it and don't need to go looking for support or solutions to problems.

As said above, cellular and WiFi boosters are just ornaments, unless they have a decent signal in the first place, and in my experience with a few, never worth the money and frustration.

With the current selection of different services from SL, you do need to read up on them to properly and understand which version would suit you, but, in the main, if staying within the same continent, then the basis Roam package should suffice.

To convert to running off 12vdc is relatively simple (and a worthwhile power consumption saving, not just in the SL kit, but getting away from the need to run an inverter and it's incumbent losses/inefficiencies) with a few basis skills that can be easily learnt, and there's plenty of help and advice out there for a bit of basic 12 wiring and how to crimp and RJ45 plug. (see here for some info - the details of mine in the later posts of that topic). Another worth spending some time reading is Tuck's Truck - Starlink for some very real day to day usage (as well as a lot of other good stuff about overlanding in general). Marcus does get quite technical about his installations, but his experience with Starlink is worth reading through.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hello everybody!

I am gradually working on building out a mobile office for remote work while overlanding. I was almost set to pull the trigger on Starlink RV, when I read a couple of thoughtful reviews which pointed out that it is not the all-in-one solution I was hoping it was (if such a thing exists). I'm hoping that there are some community members that can share their experiences with the various options that exist out there.

My remote work does not involve much videoconferencing, though voice conferences are routine. Mostly I do data entry and review documents. I use 350-450GB of data per month between work and home (mostly for home), though this would be less on the road, and doesn't need to be super high speed in any case (I am limited by a work VPN to relatively low speed). So the cap a lot of hotspots have of 20gb before throttling isn't a big deal (as long as the throttling isn't ridiculous). However, it is essential that I have the most reliable connection possible which offers at least some connectivity.

My main concerns with Starlink are the requirement for an unobstructed sky view and the fact that it runs on 120V only. The sky view would be an issue in most campsites I have used. I mainly camp national forests and other public lands available in the eastern US. I do not have any desire to camp RV parks and things like that, where I may as well just pay for their wifi anyway. When I can get to the western US, that is less of an issue, but it's still a limiting factor in mountain valleys, for example. There may not be a viable solution for mountain valleys, and I can plan around that, Discover your perfect home in the vibrant Metn district - Rent an apartment and experience a seamless blend of comfort check out this Rent an apartment in Metn, convenience, and luxury. but that still leaves me without solutions for forested areas. I know there is a hack for running Starlink on 12V, but while I'm relatively handy, splicing wires on expensive gear when I don't really know what I'm doing is more than I'm willing to take on. I have a 1500w modified sine wave inverter, but I'm hesitant to rely on it for long periods of time. My deep cycle is already powering a mini-fridge, fan, and charging electronics. So efficiency is important. As with everything gear-wise, this is a balancing act.

So the other options appear to be something like Nomad wireless, or a combination of a wireless hotspot in conjunction with a signal booster or MIMO router (or both?), and that's where the options become mind boggling to me.

What I'm really looking for is an exact setup someone has had good luck with. Someone who also likes to go to relatively remote spots to camp, and where their setup has allowed them at least some minimal level of reliable connectivity (where a plain cell phone may not have worked). I can accept I won't have signal everywhere, but I'm hoping to get gear that can open up more areas to me.

Building a mobile office for remote work while overlanding requires reliable connectivity in remote areas. Although Starlink RV seemed promising, concerns about the requirement for an unobstructed sky view and the reliance on 120V power led me to explore alternative options. I am seeking advice from the community on their experiences with different solutions. My work primarily involves data entry and document review, with voice conferences being routine. I consume around 350-450GB of data per month, but high speed isn't necessary due to VPN limitations. While many hotspots have data caps, the 20GB threshold isn't a major concern as long as the subsequent throttling is reasonable. However, having a consistently reliable connection is crucial. Camping mainly in national forests and other public lands in the eastern US, I face challenges with obtaining an unobstructed sky view. RV parks aren't desirable, as paying for their Wi-Fi defeats the purpose. The issue persists even in western US mountain valleys, limiting my options. Although there is a hack to run Starlink on 12V, I'm hesitant to attempt it without proper expertise. I already have a 1500w modified sine wave inverter, but relying on it for extended periods alongside other devices raises concerns about power efficiency. Exploring alternatives like Nomad wireless or a combination of a wireless hotspot with a signal booster or MIMO router seems overwhelming due to the array of options available. Ultimately, I am seeking recommendations for a specific setup that has proven successful for someone who enjoys camping in remote locations and has achieved at least a minimal level of reliable connectivity beyond what a regular cell phone offers. While acknowledging that signal coverage won't be ubiquitous, I hope to find gear that can expand my access to more areas.
It sounds like what you are looking for is a cellular type connection (4g or 5g) that you can get everywhere. Unfortunately this isnt a possibility esspecially in remote areas and many national forest areas. Other sattelite companies that are made for RVs are super expensive and have data caps. I currently use starlink, in remote national forrests and even when i dont have a "clear unobtructed view" I still am able to do video conferencing for school/work, and stream videos. There are seconds of dropout but these have never made video conferencing or streaming unuseable. There are ways to make the starlink to 12v conversion very easy and you dont have to cut the dish cable. I can send you the links if you decide to go that route. Starlink is also very affordable compared to other carriers, has much faster speeds, no data caps, more reliable, and anywhere you are obstructed with SL you very likely will have worse issues with others that render them unuseable.

I attached some of the places I have been. In the two night time shots my starlink is facing directly into a tree and still had very little problem with connections. In a week it was less than 5 times that the connection dropped for more than 15 seconds.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: nickburt

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I ended up with a combination of starlink and a 4g router. I use the router when I have a good signal, because the power draw on it is negligible. Starlink is my backup. I've also had mostly positive experiences with starlink. Once in a while it gets spotty. Yesterday it dropped out on me momentarily a few times. But it was super cloudy and pouring rain, so it makes sense to me anyway that a signal would have difficulty getting through.

I am looking to modify my dishy this year sometime to be a flat mount. I've been reading up on it, and apparently there are now so many starlink satellites that the dish should have no problem always getting a signal, even when flat mounted. But it does void the warranty.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I ended up with a combination of starlink and a 4g router. I use the router when I have a good signal, because the power draw on it is negligible. Starlink is my backup. I've also had mostly positive experiences with starlink. Once in a while it gets spotty. Yesterday it dropped out on me momentarily a few times. But it was super cloudy and pouring rain, so it makes sense to me anyway that a signal would have difficulty getting through.

I am looking to modify my dishy this year sometime to be a flat mount. I've been reading up on it, and apparently there are now so many starlink satellites that the dish should have no problem always getting a signal, even when flat mounted. But it does void the warranty.
I have been reading up on that as well and would like to do it. Im just waiting until im financially sound enough (and not dependant on it for internet) just in case I break it. I have everything ready for it to be mounted on the HQ19 as a flatmount

Reactions: Aequitas1916

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
Hello everybody!

My main concerns with Starlink are the requirement for an unobstructed sky view and the fact that it runs on 120V only. The sky view would be an issue in most campsites I have used. I mainly camp national forests and other public lands available in the eastern US. I do not have any desire to camp RV parks and things like that, where I may as well just pay for their wifi anyway. When I can get to the western US, that is less of an issue, but it's still a limiting factor in mountain valleys, for example. There may not be a viable solution for mountain valleys, and I can plan around that, but that still leaves me without solutions for forested areas. I know there is a hack for running Starlink on 12V, but while I'm relatively handy, splicing wires on expensive gear when I don't really know what I'm doing is more than I'm willing to take on. I have a 1500w modified sine wave inverter, but I'm hesitant to rely on it for long periods of time. My deep cycle is already powering a mini-fridge, fan, and charging electronics. So efficiency is important. As with everything gear-wise, this is a balancing act.

Unlock your dream of coastal living with apartments for sale in Byblos, where history meets modernity, and the sea is your neighbor.
I'm planning an 8 day trip in the Sierra this December. To appease my work, I'd like to have the ability to access the Internet primarily for checking corporate email (Microsoft Exchange) and potentially editing a file and sendwith (all synced with dropbox). I believe I can do everything with my smartphone. What would be best option for reliable connection with ability to send a couple MBs? Work will pay within reason, so focused on weeight and reliability.