Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I've begun researching some trips for 2022 as the wife and I are going stir crazy not traveling. As part of the research I have begun looking at the Northeast and Mid Atlantic backcountry Discovery Routes. These seem to be designed to target the motorcycle community, but also show a lot of roads based on Gaia GPS (I have downloaded the GPX files). Has anyone done these trips using a 4x4? Any input on sections of either route I should look closely at for alternate routes due to restrictions on what types of vehicles can go through a given area?

Thanks!

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have driven most of the route between Conway NH - Weld ME. Approx 95% of it is all paved between that area. Great Drive. RT 113 through Evans Notch has some decent camping sites. Wild River Campground is my preferred in that area.

Bostongal62

Rank IV

Member II

Newport, NH, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Clivio
Member #

If anyone is doing any of the New England Backcountry discovery route this summer and would like to meet up let me know. I am very interested and probably will be doing at least some if it this summer.

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

I am researching the MABDR for a N to S run June 6-12 starting from NJ ending in NC. There are a few YouTube videos of full-size trucks running the route. Not much dispersed camping from what I have seen so far.

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch
FYI, off subject but there is now the B2B Touring Route the runs across the top of Minnesota close to 800 miles. There are miles and mile of forest and low maint forest roads that spur off the main route, all of wich can be done in a full size vehicle. A few photos from the Route.IMG_0502.JPGIMG_0526.JPGIMG_0516.JPGIMG_0508.JPG118939963_10218769984942884_9090273944396159797_n.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Where the MABDR comes through Central PA there is alot of missed opportunities following the route.

In this area there are many motorized/dispersed sites to camp in.

I have to get alot more campsites added to this...but here is a pretty good idea of off pavement travel/dispersed camping in the area of the MABDR.

Central Pennsylvania Overlanding