Back aching after a 3,500 mile trip - lumbar support?

• HTML tutorial

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
We just finished a trip out to Ft. Collins and back for the Overland Expo Mtn West in our 2000 F-250. The truck did great like always. My back? Not so much. Every day I'd get out at the end of the day with a cranky lower back. Wondering if any of you use any kind of lumbar support addition to your seats? I don't want to install brand new seats but if that's what it takes, I suppose I'll look at that.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
There’s a place in Houston where you can get replacement foam. They’re on eBay. Supposed to be USA made.

For complete seat replacement, you’re lucky that your truck is old enough to not have airbags in the seats. That greatly opens options.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Do you leave your wallet in a back pocket? That is a guaranteed backache for me.

As far as lumbar, I set the seat so my back is straight.
Amen.

A bulky wallet in a rear pocket has been known to cause nagging back problems for a lot of drivers over longer hauls, or if driving a lot over shorter hauls but daily. Throws your whole balance off.

Also noticed by many is that their back aches after a long drive because they don't usually do long drives nor sit in one position for that many hours.

I've driven so many hundreds of thousands of miles over the years on both interstate and back country roads that I've learned to take breaks, get out and walk a bit, change up my position, do stretches at rest areas, go walk around small towns, etc. Makes a huge difference in how I feel at the end of the day on long trips.

No lumbar support, no heating pads, just paying attention to my posture, how my body is being used, and how it feels.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Readjust your seat a little every couple of hours , making small changes to your seating position really helps at the end of the day .

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I just returned from a trip of more than 10K miles. Before leaving, I bought an inexpensive ($13) memory foam lumbar support cushion at Marshalls. It has a single strap that hooks behind your seat. Worked great! There are numerous options on Amazon, too.