Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Make sure to pick the correct awning for the side of the vehicle that you want to put it on if you go with a 270 degree awning. Our kitchen in on the pax side (and so is our awning) to keep us as far away from the road when pulling over for a quick bite.

Last edited:

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I'd add don't skimp, buy the best you can afford.
I have a Rhino Rack Batwing 270 awning, with 1 exception I love it. That exception is the use of brittle plastic hinges. They break just from the weight of the poles and awning. You can read about my experience in my blog;

Roaming Nevada 2019

And my solution.

I have since seen some nice awnings built for freestanding deployment with a truss style support, mainly in AU. Though heavier they shouldn't let you down.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I'd add don't skimp, buy the best you can afford.
I have a Rhino Rack Batwing 270 awning, with 1 exception I love it. That exception is the use of brittle plastic hinges. They break just from the weight of the poles and awning. You can read about my experience in my blog;

Roaming Nevada 2019

And my solution.

I have since seen some nice awnings built for freestanding deployment with a truss style support, mainly in AU. Though heavier they shouldn't let you down.
The OVS awnings are pretty stout with decently thick aluminum arms and hinges.

mainly in AU
You mean where they use their gear in the field and not as Starbucks parking lot adornments ;) <ducks and covers>
Love the Aussies.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
We have an old arb 2500 I think. Works well enough for the money. But cumbersome to deploy and put away so it really only gets used when stationary for the night. We'd like to step up to a free standing type. It would get used more then.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We’ve a full length Frontrunner awning on the truck and another small one on our trailer for the kitchen. I like the idea of a 270 or whatever awning, but the added weight up top on one side? I am in the constant process of shedding weight from our truck, so I cannot even consider a giant awning. The front runner stuff, just as the Aussie stuff has held up extraordinarily well in winds up & over 30mph and kept us dry in heavy rain. Alway, always, consider the wind when shopping for any camp gear.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
We’ve a full length Frontrunner awning on the truck and another small one on our trailer for the kitchen. I like the idea of a 270 or whatever awning, but the added weight up top on one side? I am in the constant process of shedding weight from our truck, so I cannot even consider a giant awning. The front runner stuff, just as the Aussie stuff has held up extraordinarily well in winds up & over 30mph and kept us dry in heavy rain. Alway, always, consider the wind when shopping for any camp gear.
Weight is definitely a consideration. Adding the awning high and to one side is part of the reason that a lift, that also handles the extra weight, is going on the truck (next weekend). I take it off when not out adventuring; easy and quick enough for me to do alone.

Reactions: MOAK

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have the ARB on our WJ, and as cool as i thought it would be to have it, we just really don't use it unless its pouring rain due to set up and take down time. Even when erected the area covered is small such that you pretty much still get wet, as we never seem to get rain without wind. For the JK project we just installed the Bush Company 270, so far we absolutly love how fast it deploys and packs away, and best part is no poles to deal with. Down side is the weight (60lbs) but it mounts rock solid, and we offset our roof top tent the other way and everything seems to balance out, with about 225 lbs total added to the roof for awning, tent and rack. Still can feel it up there though, hoping some suspension work and stiffer springs will remove most of that.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
We have the ARB on our WJ, and as cool as i thought it would be to have it, we just really don't use it unless its pouring rain due to set up and take down time. Even when erected the area covered is small such that you pretty much still get wet, as we never seem to get rain without wind. For the JK project we just installed the Bush Company 270, so far we absolutly love how fast it deploys and packs away, and best part is no poles to deal with. Down side is the weight (60lbs) but it mounts rock solid, and we offset our roof top tent the other way and everything seems to balance out, with about 225 lbs total added to the roof for awning, tent and rack. Still can feel it up there though, hoping some suspension work and stiffer springs will remove most of that.
Clayton overland+ lifts/parts take extra weight overlanders add into account, seem to be well thought of and their support is great. Installing mine next weekend while all y'all are at Douglass Creek.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Another vote for OVS Nomadic LT. Love ours, perfect amount of coverage without being obscenely large or heavy, it is on our trailer. And the best part...Google shopping found it for $559 for me somehow some way. The next cheapest I found it was for $750. Keep your eyes peeled, You will find some deals!

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Clayton overland+ lifts/parts take extra weight overlanders add into account, seem to be well thought of and their support is great. Installing mine next weekend while all y'all are at Douglass Creek.
I will have to take a look at them, currently have Teraflex Outback 3" lift HD springs on top of the list currently, with AEV Dual sport next. also cant decide if i want to spend the coin on Falcon adjustable shocks or stick with Bilstein.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Another vote for OVS Nomadic LT. Love ours, perfect amount of coverage without being obscenely large or heavy, it is on our trailer. And the best part...Google shopping found it for $559 for me somehow some way. The next cheapest I found it was for $750. Keep your eyes peeled, You will find some deals!
I replaced a basic pull out awning (smittybilt brand) with the same OVS Nomadic LT you have. Not only does the OVS awning provide way more coverage, it is also much easier to deploy than the basic awning was. I managed to pick up the OVS from their site for around $600 during a sale. It proved to be the best $$$ I have spent on the rig during a trip where it rained all the time.
1652111176296.png

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Make sure to pick the correct awning for the side of the vehicle that you want to put it on if you go with a 270 degree awning. Our kitchen in on the pax side (and so is our awning) to keep us as far away from the road when pulling over for a quick bite.

That's a good idea now that I think about it.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
If you can catch it in stock, the NAPA awning is a bargain. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTSA2525

I've had a Smittybilt 8x6 for 7 years. It is my most-used piece of gear, by far.

View attachment 229804

View attachment 229805

The larger, heavier awnings are impressive, but I've never been in a position where I had everything needed to utilize one.
And if you have AAA mebership you get an extra 10% off. they just got a batch in. Also I've been told the ARB 8X8 tent will work with this, will let y'all know when it all comes in. I'm a few weeks out on that tent system

dub_stackz

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Weston
Last Name
Gossell
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Vet
If you can catch it in stock, the NAPA awning is a bargain. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTSA2525
I’ve heard a few people mention the awnings from Napa, but have never seen them in stock, I thought they were discontinued…decided to check after seeing this thread, there’s a bunch in stock by me so I’ll be picking that up here shortly
I've had a Smittybilt 8x6 for 7 years. It is my most-used piece of gear, by far.

View attachment 229804

View attachment 229805

The larger, heavier awnings are impressive, but I've never been in a position where I had everything needed to utilize one.
And if you have AAA mebership you get an extra 10% off. they just got a batch in. Also I've been told the ARB 8X8 tent will work with this, will let y'all know when it all comes in. I'm a few weeks out on that tent system