Awning mounting

• HTML tutorial

OkieGobi

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawton, Oklahoma, USA
Member #

I have mine mounted on the Driver's side. Back when I had my XTerra, I did it this way because I felt safer driving with my Hi Lift Jack mounted on the passenger side of my Gobi roof rack. So, I got use to the idea of accessing stuff I regularly need from the interior when I have the awning out from the driver's side. Conversely, I packed the rest of my roof rack to have things I regularly needed accessible from the passenger side. When I switched to my JKU, my Hi-lift moved to the interior , but I was already accustomed to a driver's side awning and have stuck with it.

Reactions: cdunn334

reh8388

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Charlotte, NC
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Hagen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2REH
On my FJ I went passenger side because the rear door opens to the driver’s side. If the rear door is open I would need to walk around the door the access the rear from the driver’s side. With the awning on the passenger side we spend more time on that side and accessing the rear is easier as the door isn’t in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

OkieGobi

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawton, Oklahoma, USA
Member #

On my FJ I went passenger side because the rear door opens to the driver’s side. If the rear door is open I would need to walk around the door the access the rear from the driver’s side. With the awning on the passenger side we spend more time on that side and accessing the rear is easier as the door isn’t in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
That's a pretty good point I had not considered before.

Reactions: cdunn334

ndamico

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
D'Amico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6TBF
one thing to consider is if you get a square awning you can flip it to either side. if you get a 270 (like our wraptor) you would have to commit to either driver's side or passenger side as you can't flip them. they are made completely different.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign