Toano, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Laguesse
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Whos building or has built an AWD rig? Im working on my Highlander now. Im excited to really get out on some trails for exploration and camping with my family! Offroad rims with some MTs is next on my build list!

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I suppose some might class my VW van as AWD, although in some ways it's technically not as to always drives at least one front wheel and 0-2 rear with the diff lock. There are so many places that these type of vehicles are perfectly adequate and in some cases, less weight can be an advantage.

Reactions: Seabee126

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I did some very light overlanding on part of the Enchanted Rockies Trail in an AWD Explorer. I’ll tell you, 20“ wheels and 50 series tires suck mightily on washboard roads, so your tire and wheel upgrade will be good.

thecopcar had 60 series pursuit tires as stock. Going up to 65 series KO2s with no other changes made a world of difference, since I can air down now.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I do quite a bit of exploring in an 05 Ford Escape. The most important thing will be understanding how that AWD system works. Simply knowing how the computers direct power front to rear and side to side if you have traction control can help you massively when negotiating terrain. Honestly the biggest issue I have found with my Ford is most cross over SUVs are designed with fuel economy in mind, as such gear ratios are a little higher and engine braking is not as aggressive. So make sure your brakes are always in good shape, and always approach a descent much slower than you think you need to so you can cycle the brakes on and off so you don't overheat braking components.
Otherwise these AWD XUVs can be very capable, my Ford takes me everywhere I want to go without protest, just be realistic and open to the occasional reality check.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I went from a built 3rd Gen 4Runner on MTs to my 2019 Rav4. Even with the pretty aggressive lift, no antisway bars, and trading my factory 29s on 19" rims to 31s on 16" rims, it of course is no 4Runner. However, I have been extremely impressed, and even having lifted tires on probably 20-30 occasions, I have never been stuck.

That said, I do wish the gearing was about 30% lower, lol.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

I suppose you are speaking to the AWD capability as opposed to Unibody vehicles with AWD. . .
My Silverado has AWD capability, which is fantastic in the snow. But, as you know, it's soo much heavier than the typical AWD Highlander, RAV, Subaru Outback, Cherokee like rigs.
Back some time ago I had a V6 Rav4 with the AWD capability. I slipped in some air bags in the rear coils which really helped to handle the loads and keep the RAV from squatting too much. Airbags are light weight, and help immensely with heavier loads in these Unibody platforms.

eProtocol

Rank V

Influencer II

Austin, Texas, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Whos building or has built an AWD rig? Im working on my Highlander now. Im excited to really get out on some trails for exploration and camping with my family! Offroad rims with some MTs is next on my build list!
I’m working on a Crosstrek build now, definitely thinking of lifting it a bit higher first just in case!

Seabee126

Rank IV

Advocate III

Toano, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Laguesse
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I’m working on a Crosstrek build now, definitely thinking of lifting it a bit higher first just in case!
Thats awesome! Have you done anything yet? What are your plans other than a lift?

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have a compass that I am looking into a lift for. Just don't feel like having that argument with the wife quite yet.

Seabee126

Rank IV

Advocate III

Toano, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Laguesse
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I have a 2” lift from rough country coming and then I’m either adding full skid plates or KO2 tires. Super excited, paved roads are getting overrated hahaha
Yeah buddy. Im trying to plan a camping trip soon that ill need some meaty tires for!

Seabee126

Rank IV

Advocate III

Toano, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Laguesse
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I have a compass that I am looking into a lift for. Just don't feel like having that argument with the wife quite yet.
I found a way to ease the lift conversation with my wife.. We needed new shocks anyway so i wanted to spend the money and get the good ones.. Ones that would last and replace a couple thing that looked like they were on their way out anyway. All of a sudden i had a 2" lift and new shocks!

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I found a way to ease the lift conversation with my wife.. We needed new shocks anyway so i wanted to spend the money and get the good ones.. Ones that would last and replace a couple thing that looked like they were on their way out anyway. All of a sudden i had a 2" lift and new shocks!
Lol ya that would work if mine weren't so new.

Seabee126

Rank IV

Advocate III

Toano, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Laguesse
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Lol ya that would work if mine weren't so new.
Oh fair enough. Nvm that idea then

• Haha
Reactions: Trail_pilot

Anazlu

Rank I

Member I

Texas 77845, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Horton
Member #

I am Starting a 2019 Rav4 XLE build. right now its completely stock. I'm getting some Toyo Open Country AT 3s installed in the next few weeks. then putting a roof rack (currently looking at the Prinsu but up for other options if anyone has them). Then Ill be heading on my first tip which is just to the beach.

Future Plans are to put the Rnofit Bumper, side rails, and ladder on. A small lift kit, and either a tow hitch or rear bumper (I've spoken to Rnofit they have plans for a rear bumper for the gen 5 Ravs)

Seabee126

Rank IV

Advocate III

Toano, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Laguesse
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I am Starting a 2019 Rav4 XLE build. right now its completely stock. I'm getting some Toyo Open Country AT 3s installed in the next few weeks. then putting a roof rack (currently looking at the Prinsu but up for other options if anyone has them). Then Ill be heading on my first tip which is just to the beach.

Future Plans are to put the Rnofit Bumper, side rails, and ladder on. A small lift kit, and either a tow hitch or rear bumper (I've spoken to Rnofit they have plans for a rear bumper for the gen 5 Ravs)
2.0 this is a nice 2" lift.