Australia to the US, with my Rubicon...

• HTML tutorial

KC2BUN

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Salem County NJ
Member #

When you get to N.C. before heading west check out Smoky Mtn N.P. and Fontana Lake which is the southern border of the park, Tail of the Dragon, and the Ocoee River in Tenn. for some white water rafting. I found the apps RV Parky, Roadtripper, and USFS and BLM for campsite and points of interest locations are great sites. Have a great trip!
Flipper did you log those camp sites on the map here?

Sent from my SM-G930P using OB Talk mobile app

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Flipper did you log those camp sites on the map here?

Sent from my SM-G930P using OB Talk mobile app
No, sorry. The USFS and BLM sites for dispersed camping. Fontana Village Campground is at the base of the dam where you can pick up the Appalachian Trail that goes right across the top of the dam and into the park. Cable Cove is primitive camping. Cades Cove and Smokemont are in the park. Thunder Rock is great for rafting the Ocoee and is right on the river. My favorite place is Fontana Lake, Massive! 400’ deep, check it out on Google Earth.

Reactions: KC2BUN

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Rod, I talked with John from the RTF and he says the Rubicon is going to be crazy for the next two weeks due to the Jeepers Jamboree's. His advise is to register for the event and go up there with every else, he guarantees you will have fun. one of the two events still has openings.
If that doesn't work you will need to go later in August but that might also be the same time Jeep USA is there.
Its a busy time on the Con

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

When you get to N.C. before heading west check out Smoky Mtn N.P. and Fontana Lake which is the southern border of the park, Tail of the Dragon, and the Ocoee River in Tenn. for some white water rafting. I found the apps RV Parky, Roadtripper, and USFS and BLM for campsite and points of interest locations are great sites. Have a great trip!
Thank you for those details. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a must for me and I’ve been told that I must run “ The Tail of the Dragon” so these are on the list

Reactions: DanW and Flipper

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Rod, I talked with John from the RTF and he says the Rubicon is going to be crazy for the next two weeks due to the Jeepers Jamboree's. His advise is to register for the event and go up there with every else, he guarantees you will have fun. one of the two events still has openings.
If that doesn't work you will need to go later in August but that might also be the same time Jeep USA is there.
Its a busy time on the Con
Thanks Kent, I’m still at the mercy of Customs. Still no “Rubi” so for me to book anything is a gamble that mightn’t pay off. I have spoken with a US Customs officer and he can’t tell me when I can get her out.
Halfway through the trip of a lifetime and it’s all turn to crap.
No words except for expletives.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks Kent, I’m still at the mercy of Customs. Still no “Rubi” so for me to book anything is a gamble that mightn’t pay off. I have spoken with a US Customs officer and he can’t tell me when I can get her out.
Halfway through the trip of a lifetime and it’s all turn to crap.
No words except for expletives.
Rod, I know this sucks for you and if its any consolation if you get here after Jamboree and still want to do the Con John said he would make it work for you just keep us informed.

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Rod, I know this sucks for you and if its any consolation if you get here after Jamboree and still want to do the Con John said he would make it work for you just keep us informed.
Thank you Kent, I’m still waiting here so the Con after Jambo would work. I’ll keep you up to date with any progress.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Still in jail?

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Unbelievably yes. The shipper spoke to me yesterday and let me know that Customs had spoken to his broker and advised him that a part of the consignment is inadmissible to the US, hopefully find out today which part. Bloody hoping it’s not Rubi.

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Unbelievably yes. The shipper spoke to me yesterday and let me know that Customs had spoken to his broker and advised him that a part of the consignment is inadmissible to the US, hopefully find out today which part. Bloody hoping it’s not Rubi.
This soooo sad. Sorry it's happening

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: RodP

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

What a bureaucratic nightmare! I hope this gets cleared up quickly. Looking forward to seeing your Jeep roaming the trails in the USA.

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

What a bureaucratic nightmare! I hope this gets cleared up quickly. Looking forward to seeing your Jeep roaming the trails in the USA.
Unfortunately it’s after 4 pm here on the east coast so no updates and definitely not knowing my position until Atleast midday Monday is extremely frustrating.
I bet the bureaucrats don’t take as long in approving the firefighters that are coming to assist you guys.http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/pm/aussie-firefighters-will-join-race-to-extinguish-us-wild-fires/10062996

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Unfortunately it’s after 4 pm here on the east coast so no updates and definitely not knowing my position until Atleast midday Monday is extremely frustrating.
I bet the bureaucrats don’t take as long in approving the firefighters that are coming to assist you guys.http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/pm/aussie-firefighters-will-join-race-to-extinguish-us-wild-fires/10062996
It makes no sense that they can't serve people better than this, as much as we pay for government. They have no excuse for what they are putting you through.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Rod, can you message me @Kent R I need some info, and your message is buried in hundreds of others.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Just got back from a trail clean up on the Long Valley Trail just south of 50 in the El Dorado NF and we had heavy smoke at 7000'

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Sorry to hear about the problems with your trip. When you had your Rubicon shipped here how is it billed? Weight? Size? Distance from exit port to entrance port? I have been following your issue from the beginning If you have time could you give me a brief rundown what procedures to do this round trip. And a estimate of cost. Sounds like a real nightmare after getting here with the quarantine and now the fires. Last year we had a trip to Colorado planned and hurricane Irma hit our house 3 hours before we were to fly out, canceled! Nothing compaired to what you are going through, good luck I hope things will turn around on you dream trip. From the posts it looks like you have a lot of support.