Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Has anyone had a satellite map fail to download? I recently downloaded 7 different maps and every single layer other than satellite was downloaded successfully.
Yes. I assume that sat maps are larger than others and therefore more subject to failure.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Nope, your iPad with cell data had a gps built in... just download the map tiles from Gaia that you will need for your route... reads this whole thread, it explains how to do everything you need to do.
A nice feature that gaia has is that it will download maps/tiles along a route. So instead of drawing a box, downloading, drawing more boxes, downloading, wandering away and repeating... you can create a route and gaia can be made to download the tiles along that route in one easy step. I’m about to do this for today’s adventure.

Reactions: M Rose

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Forgive my ignorance. I’m new to the off grid navigation game. I have a Garmin in reach explorer plus and I also have a late model iPad with WiFi and cellular. So, if I want to navigate where there is no cellular service I have to use my Garmin Inreach paired with my iPad correct? I haven’t purchased any navigation software yet. I’m considering a Gaia subscription. If there’s a good article or YouTube video you can recommend to get me started I’d be grateful. Thanks.
You will need a gaia subscription to download maps for offline use - this means that if you get out of cell/internet you will find yourself with no map overlays - need pre-downloaded maps to have them available away from the interwebz.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Has anyone had a satellite map fail to download? I recently downloaded 7 different maps and every single layer other than satellite was downloaded successfully.
Update - downloaded both "along the route" and some blocks where the track did not go but we might. I noticed that some sat maps failed to download - but they all appeared to recover and get downloaded by the time my uber set of downloads finished. I guess that you just need to keep an eye on them and if they don't d/l force them to (cannot recall how to do that right now).

Reactions: PonoAdventures

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Update - downloaded both "along the route" and some blocks where the track did not go but we might. I noticed that some sat maps failed to download - but they all appeared to recover and get downloaded by the time my uber set of downloads finished. I guess that you just need to keep an eye on them and if they don't d/l force them to (cannot recall how to do that right now).
Thanks. First time it happened to me. I figure it was just a glitch.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks. First time it happened to me. I figure it was just a glitch.
I see it often, for all/most map types, but I tend to go on binges before a big trip. What I find odd is that map d/ls often start very fast and end at a trickle. So map A will start it’s d/l and scream most of the way through only to finish off very slowly.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Forgive my ignorance. I’m new to the off grid navigation game. I have a Garmin in reach explorer plus and I also have a late model iPad with WiFi and cellular. So, if I want to navigate where there is no cellular service I have to use my Garmin Inreach paired with my iPad correct? I haven’t purchased any navigation software yet. I’m considering a Gaia subscription. If there’s a good article or YouTube video you can recommend to get me started I’d be grateful. Thanks.
Be sure to D/L Earthmate to pair with your InReach. The Earthmate maps are really good. D/L Gaia and MapsMe as well.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Here's a great new feature for Gaia GPS!

I personally made the introduction between the TrailsOffroad team and Gaia to help make this happen. They are both excellent products which are worth the annual subscriptions. TrailsOffroad has worked incredibly hard to provide accurate and CURRENT as possible trail data for over 2400 trails. Now after the initial quick setup that requires granting permission for the TrailsOffroad website to talk to your Gaia GPS account you can 1-click import trails and waypoints into the Gaia GPS app and your account. It's awesome! You can do this via a browser on your computer or tablet/phone.

Here's the Gaia GPS Press Release:

Here's the TrailsOffroad Release:

Here's a short article I wrote on my website:

While the data isn't baked into the Gaia GPS app this partnership allows Gaia and Trails Offroad to keep doing what they are great at. Some competitors offer trail suggestions from within the app but I have found a lot of that data to not be accurate. These are my opinions based on 8+ years of using Gaia and other apps. Free opinions. Take them or leave them.

Happy Trails...

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
Here's a great new feature for Gaia GPS!

I personally made the introduction between the TrailsOffroad team and Gaia to help make this happen. They are both excellent products which are worth the annual subscriptions. TrailsOffroad has worked incredibly hard to provide accurate and CURRENT as possible trail data for over 2400 trails. Now after the initial quick setup that requires granting permission for the TrailsOffroad website to talk to your Gaia GPS account you can 1-click import trails and waypoints into the Gaia GPS app and your account. It's awesome! You can do this via a browser on your computer or tablet/phone.

Here's the Gaia GPS Press Release:

Here's the TrailsOffroad Release:

Here's a short article I wrote on my website:

While the data isn't baked into the Gaia GPS app this partnership allows Gaia and Trails Offroad to keep doing what they are great at. Some competitors offer trail suggestions from within the app but I have found a lot of that data to not be accurate. These are my opinions based on 8+ years of using Gaia and other apps. Free opinions. Take them or leave them.

Happy Trails...
I missed this and started a separate post about it in the Overland Navigation forum. I love this new feature and had wondered if something like this could be done. So you know if Trailsoffroad.com is considering an app as well? Or are they just sticking with the website approach?

Reactions: 1Louder

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I missed this and started a separate post about it in the Overland Navigation forum. I love this new feature and had wondered if something like this could be done. So you know if Trailsoffroad.com is considering an app as well? Or are they just sticking with the website approach?
You would have to ask Trails Offroad that question. In years past they were interested in creating their own app. Not sure today.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Trying to move routes/track from hidden to visible on the Android app. I've set multiple tracks/routes to be visible but they WILL NOT show up no matter what I try. I tried rebooting, redoing a software update, updating the app. Nothing. I've experienced similar issues when trying to get routes I design on the website to show up on my tablet, like there's a huge delay no matter how many times I sync everything.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I picked up a WiFi only iPad mini to hopefully work with my Garmin Inreach Mini. From what I've read, I should be able to use the Inreach GPS functions without a subscription. I already installed the Gaia app.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I wish they would make the app work with Android Auto, then I could just run it from my phone onto my vehicles display instead of my tablet.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I use the web UI for planning and the iOS app for navigating those planned routes. I have noticed recently that clicking "Explore the Map" in the web UI now always takes me to "Cheney Reservoir" in Kansas - this is super inconvenient given how I use the web UI. It would be great if "Explore the Map" took me back to my last position on the map so I could continue planning rather than having to pan, pan, pan to get back to what I was working on. This happens in Safari and Chrome on MacOS (Big Sur) and both have cookies enabled.

When creating a new route the web UI defaults to the type of hiking - 99% of my routes are of the driving type. It would be great if the type for new route creation defaulted to the last type created or was a user setting. Have had to start over so many times because I neglected to change from hiking to driving at the get go.

I have a decent amount of data in Gaia and hiding/showing that data is problematic. One has to comb through all of their data to hide, or show, individual waypoints/routes/tracks/etc. This is not so bad when hiding as you can click on the items that you want to hide and get to their hide UI. However trying to find and show previously hidden data is a real pain in the neck. Many times I want to de-clutter for planning and getting all, or some, data to show up again is not a good experience. It would be great if there were options like "un-hide all", "un-hide within boundaries" (on currently visible part of map, folder, etc), "hide-all", "hide all within boundaries", "hide-all except for...", etc.

Also, is there an "export all data" option in Gaia? This would be great for backup and/or trying out other nav apps. It would be great if this could be a single step rather than multiple steps.

Does Gaia have a publicly available API that could be used to solve some of the issues that I mention?

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I wish they would make the app work with Android Auto, then I could just run it from my phone onto my vehicles display instead of my tablet.
They told me this could be coming because Google finally opened up to outside nav apps. So stay tuned!

Reactions: DMS1

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I use the web UI for planning and the iOS app for navigating those planned routes. I have noticed recently that clicking "Explore the Map" in the web UI now always takes me to "Cheney Reservoir" in Kansas - this is super inconvenient given how I use the web UI. It would be great if "Explore the Map" took me back to my last position on the map so I could continue planning rather than having to pan, pan, pan to get back to what I was working on. This happens in Safari and Chrome on MacOS (Big Sur) and both have cookies enabled.

When creating a new route the web UI defaults to the type of hiking - 99% of my routes are of the driving type. It would be great if the type for new route creation defaulted to the last type created or was a user setting. Have had to start over so many times because I neglected to change from hiking to driving at the get go.

I have a decent amount of data in Gaia and hiding/showing that data is problematic. One has to comb through all of their data to hide, or show, individual waypoints/routes/tracks/etc. This is not so bad when hiding as you can click on the items that you want to hide and get to their hide UI. However trying to find and show previously hidden data is a real pain in the neck. Many times I want to de-clutter for planning and getting all, or some, data to show up again is not a good experience. It would be great if there were options like "un-hide all", "un-hide within boundaries" (on currently visible part of map, folder, etc), "hide-all", "hide all within boundaries", "hide-all except for...", etc.

Also, is there an "export all data" option in Gaia? This would be great for backup and/or trying out other nav apps. It would be great if this could be a single step rather than multiple steps.

Does Gaia have a publicly available API that could be used to solve some of the issues that I mention?
All of your suggestions should be directed at Gaia and not here. Gaia doesn’t formally monitor this forum. You would want to go to the Gaia GPS help site and look at the community section. There are also items people can vote on that have already been suggested.

For example turn off all data except the track you are working on in full screen.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
All of your suggestions should be directed at Gaia and not here. Gaia doesn’t formally monitor this forum. You would want to go to the Gaia GPS help site and look at the community section. There are also items people can vote on that have already been suggested.

For example turn off all data except the track you are working on in full screen.
Thank you!

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I picked up a WiFi only iPad mini to hopefully work with my Garmin Inreach Mini. From what I've read, I should be able to use the Inreach GPS functions without a subscription. I already installed the Gaia app.
Unfortunately, the Garmin InReach Mini does not have/support the capability of passing GPS data to an external device. For that, you'll need something like the Garmin GLO2 bluetooth GPS receiver. I have one and it works great.

Totally possible.

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Unfortunately, the Garmin InReach Mini does not have/support the capability of passing GPS data to an external device. For that, you'll need something like the Garmin GLO2 bluetooth GPS receiver. I have one and it works great.
Thanks for the suggestion on the GLO receiver!

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

That isn't true. I use my InReach Mini to pass GPS info to my iPad Mini all the time.