Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

right on, i need to explore more out there as well and thinking when it cools off in the fall i want to take the family out there and see how camping is with my little one is. at least if it's not working out we can be home in no time. Also my brother wants to come out and try it too but worried since he's driving a 2wd pre-runner that he cant make it out there.
Two wheel drive would definitely be sketchy. Most of it would be fine, but there are some really sandy parts that he would struggle with and some steps that could lift a drive wheel off the ground. We just had to help a 4x2 Toyota out of there last weekend. However, if he was with the group, we could get him through pretty easy. Usually, you just need a little nudge to get rolling again.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jeepdaze

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

In all honesty I was just going off of what it said on the AZoffroad website. We can meet at a different gate if it's easier.
Personally, I think the gate you chose is the best one. Let's stick with it!

DesertWalker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cave Creek, AZ
Member #

Man, wish I had a truck right now. Soon. I would definitely be interested in checking out the trail and meeting some of you guys this weekend. Any of you have an empty seat in your rig? Cuz I have a butt that would be happy to fill it. I will bring a six pack of your favorite beer.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Kanobee

Kanobee

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Queen Creek, AZ
First Name
Leo
Last Name
G
Member #

is everyone running at least a CB for coms out on the trail so we can talk? i know cell phone is pretty iffy most of the time and once your back in the canyon it's zero.

Reactions: SEAcruiser6186

jeepdaze

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

I've been meaning to get one. My son has one for his Jeep and he keeps telling me I need one. If I can make it Saturday, I'll pick one up before hand. I might just get a handheld for now.

SEAcruiser6186

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
DeWees
Member #

is everyone running at least a CB for coms out on the trail so we can talk? i know cell phone is pretty iffy most of the time and once your back in the canyon it's zero.
I don't think any of us have CBs but this might be the perfect excuse to start building the necessary equipment. Any recommendations?

Kanobee

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Queen Creek, AZ
First Name
Leo
Last Name
G
Member #

This is what I'm using and works great and installed discreetly and stashes in the center console when not in use

MEFOBIA-JEEP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tucson AZ
Member #

Hello everyone. New here. I am in Tucson and am very familiar with Box Canyon and the Rim/Payson areas. I do a lot of truck camping etc. Will be doing Trail. Dust Days next month. I am always down for trail rides.

Reactions: brien

PanthurBRZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gilbert, Arizona
Member #

This is what I'm using and works great and installed discreetly and stashes in the center console when not in use

Just wanted to toss in my two cents, I've got a regular CB for my car but I keep a Midland 75-822 with a mag mount antenna for anyone that rolls with me, it works incredibly well for such a small setup! The cobra is just as good!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
@brien - want to plan a weekend trip in AZ in early November?

or... there will likely be a Mojave Road trip being planned for the 20th to 22nd of October
Yes, i can put something together for early November or maybe mid-Nov if a Mohave Road trip happens

Kanobee

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Queen Creek, AZ
First Name
Leo
Last Name
G
Member #

We still meeting up at 1pm at the bush hwy gate entrance to FR10?

SEAcruiser6186

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
DeWees
Member #

Yup, that's the plan! I will be bringing my 2nd gen tacoma, and I have two friends, one with a 1st gen Tacoma, and another with a 5th 4Runner who are also joining. Jeepdaze also expressed interest.

jeepdaze

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

We still meeting up at 1pm at the bush hwy gate entrance to FR10?

I'm going to be there. I picked a CB today, so now I'm dying to try it out. If you want a few more trucks, I could mention it on my AZ Grand Cherokee group page. That'll usually rustle up two or three more. I don't know if we want more than we already have though.

jeepdaze

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

I have an unlifted 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on 32" tires, so there'll be a couple sketchy spots for me. I'll bring my son as well. He has a 2002 Grand Cherokee with 2.5" lift, so he'll do fine. He's had his through the whole length of Bulldog Canyon several times.

SEAcruiser6186

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
DeWees
Member #

I have an unlifted 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on 32" tires, so there'll be a couple sketchy spots for me. I'll bring my son as well. He has a 2002 Grand Cherokee with 2.5" lift, so he'll do fine. He's had his through the whole length of Bulldog Canyon several times.

Sweet! A couple of us picked up CBs too so that should make it easier. We are all on stock suspension and stock (street) tires. We are all 4x4 so we figured we'd make it through on way or another.

Reactions: jeepdaze

Kanobee

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Queen Creek, AZ
First Name
Leo
Last Name
G
Member #