Are you prepared or are you rolling the dice? Be honest.

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Our rig (truck/camper)is fairly well set-up and stocked the majority of the time. So for basic delays and such, we are fairly well prepared. I can/do carry 26 gallons of water on board, have 2 or 3 10 pound propane tanks, as well as usually a weeks worth of food and stuff. we carry the basics are far as tools go, first aid kit (a dog first aid kit) and a full complement of recovery and protect-me gear. I also always have the InReach with us, and when out in the back-country keep it running and make sure to have sent a link to at least one friend so they can track us online.

Having said that, I remember listening to an interview with Les Stroud once. He had written a book on people who either survived disasters/plane crashes/getting lost/etc, and those that didn't. The one thing he said he learned above all others was that the folks that survivors had a mental will to live. He recounted stories of folks perishing mere kilometers from civilization while others crawled on their belly through winter conditions with a broken leg for miles to survive. He also interviewed a number of plane crash survivors and said that every one had a plan in their head to escape a crashed plane. From counting aisles to all the exits, reading the actual emergency card they hand out, keeping your seatbelt on all the time and wearing appropriate clothing and shoes, to a senior lady grabbing her husband and crawling over all the seats and people to make it out the exit while others sat and waited for someone to come rescue them.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
We all do the best we can to be prepared ("we" as in people like us on Overlandbound and in this thread).

At the end of the day though.... if it was 100% safe we wouldn't be doing it.

"Nothing fun in life is safe"
That has much to do with why safety isn't "first".

A safe world would be hell.

Reactions: Winterpeg

RadioRick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Iverson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7NB
Service Branch
Army
Beyond the leadership from the experienced trailmaster(s) think about mentorship. Pass along the skills you have taken years to develop, but at the same time keep your ears open for new ideas. Gently quash the ones that are in fact dangerous but foster those that are valuable and add them to your own tool chest. The greatest difference I have found between the 4x4 toy folks and the Overland community is the constant willingness to share ideas, setups and skills that we all find valuable.

Reactions: ECHAIL

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The truth is, life is a terminal condition, so you have to make the most of the time you've got ;)

There are calculated risks and stupid risks. The trick about adventuring is avoiding the latter in favour of the former.
But isn't the definition of adventure to respectfully seek out danger?

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I remember in ground school, the instructors liked to say there were old pilots and bold pilots but there were no old, bold pilots. I thought that was advice worth incorporating. I have zero interest in danger but I suppose I take the occasional, hopefully well thought out, risk. I don't travel to seek adventure and danger, I travel to see things I want to see. If it's dangerous to do so, I'll skip it. Like I told my doc when he gave me some advice to follow if I wanted to live to a ripe old age, "OK, I won't die from being stupid." I follow that advice to this day (had to do with drinking, nutrition, and exercise).

Last edited:

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Just a quick thanks for all the comments in this thread. Lots of insight, humor, and plain gut checks here. I made the video for the novice who was going on the three hour tour (Gilligan’s Island) and hadn’t considered what they were getting into. I’m glad to see experienced people contributing here. We all bring something to the table and have a unique perspective on things.

Reactions: Cody_Gorsuch

Jibs

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

I'm always prepared to roll the dice. I usually have enough with me to get me out of a situation. I have had to walk away from my rig on two occasions. Once due to me finding out that my spare was padlocked to the back on a new to me car (I've since checked physically, AND bring bolt cutters) and once when I got stuck at the bottom of a canyon in creek bed on a road that's been washed out years before I'd been down it. I always carry gear for each situation.