Are you a day tripper, Weekender, Weeker, Full Timer?

• HTML tutorial

I am mostly...

• Total voters

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

There is much debate as to what "Overlanding" really is. There is much debate as to who or what you have to do to BE an Overlander...As far as the "TRAIL" goes...how often do you actually get out and get on one?

I'm just wondering how I (or maybe all of us) fit into the mold of what is "expected?" We take many day trips when we can (this is most of what we can do). We get out on the weekend several times a year exploring and camping. Once or twice a year we take multiple days to venture off the grid and go do some really cool stuff and see cool places.

I don't know what the social status is of everyone here. There are so many factors...work, children, hobbies, money...that affect what we can do and how much. But one thing I do notice...on our calendar there are way more "meet and greets" than there are actually trips that are planning on being taken.

What are you? How often do you hit the trail? Please add your answers and opinions...

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

So far just days and a few weekends trips but I just started!!
Most of us have just started or started recently. I have done a ton of camping throughout my years as well as backpacking, mountain biking, deer hunting...a ton of stuff. Even explored many countries. But I've never put it all into one package. That's what I really like about this group and this Overlanding idea. It takes what we all love to do and puts it into one package and puts us in a group where we can all share stories and ideas. It is brilliant.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

In the summertime... week long trips with 1 or 2 that are up to 10 days or so... 4 or 5 times throughout the spring and summer.

Not much beyond that besides a few day trips to go wheeling with a friend or 2.

AlexG

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kingsburg, CA
Member #

A weekend warrior here also. Mostly day trips and overnighters through out the year. And maybe a week long trip once a year.
I'm hoping to make a trip to the parks in southern Utah early spring.

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I think this thread could be linked to the other that states "what keeps you from overlanding more?" I get a ton of time off with my work but when it comes right down to it, it is work and money. I have other obligations of life for sure. Too many things get in the way of the fun of life.

Reactions: tkt0912

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
I wish I could be a full timer, if I didn’t have the obligations with work and family, Oh well. But I do get to do a weekend trip about once a month most months, and a day trip here and there. Once a year I try to do a trip for a week or 3 during summer break with my son.

Reactions: tkt0912

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

When I hit the road for adventuring, camping, and exploring America, I'm usually gone for extended lengths of time and include as much off-grid and primitive camping as I can, but also have no problem exploring cities and small towns. To me, that's what vehicle-dependent exploring and adventuring is and what people started doing as soon as there were vehicles to do it with. Hell, they did that before vehicles, with camel trains, on horseback, or strings of elephants.

I don't really care if I fit into someone else's mold of what's expected or not. I'm going to keep on doing things the way I have for decades; long trips in my vehicle of choice exploring whenever and wherever I can and is allowed.

Early vehicle-dependent explorers didn't stick to just undeveloped dirt roads or rugged back-country, and many of them took along the finest of things like "spats, linen tablecloths, crystal glassware," etc. If their exploring took them through villages, cultural spots, and urban centers, they used it to their advantage and greater knowledge, traded with locals, partied a little bit, then got on their way again, usually all the better for all parties involved.

This last adventure I was on started end of August as a 3-4 week gear gathering trip in which I wanted to test and experiment with new gear, including a new off-road trailer, a bunch of used gear, an awning, a ground tent, a roof-top tent, kitchen set-ups, just a whole shitload of stuff I plan to use in different ways for family camping, small group workshops, potential off-grid construction projects, and extended base-camping. The trip ended up being just over sixteen weeks and 12,500 miles, and I got back to one of the places where I keep things just before the holidays.

Was the best, most-relaxing, self-fulfilling and regenerative time I've had in years. I can't wait to get back out there and have been researching and planning my next adventure.

See you all out there somewhere, someday. . .

Road

roaddude_cadescove-turkeys_3883.jpg

roaddude_cadescove_campside_3706.jpg

roaddude_XV2-ontheroad_4185.jpg

Last edited:

srad2

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Joshua, Texas
Member #

I am out there for adventures of all kinds and sizes. I am not out there to fit into someone else's mold or expectations. I do day trips and weekend trips. I also do 4-6 week trips during the summer. Soft roading, state camps, national camps, off grid, boondocking in the city, whatever and where ever. I try to build my stuff for flexibility for many different venues. I hope to run with some of you guys one day and to meet more of you on the trail. Good luck.

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

Weekender here, but have done a few weeklong trips over the last few years. If I got more paid time off I'd do a lot more. Hopefully retire to over landing... In 30 years! lol

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

At least once a month we go out for a three day weekend, and a few times a year we plan for a 7-10 day outing in our Excursion. While i identify as an overlander more than an offroad guy or trail guy, I find myself prepared to do either if the situation demands.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Most of us have just started or started recently. I have done a ton of camping throughout my years as well as backpacking, mountain biking, deer hunting...a ton of stuff. Even explored many countries. But I've never put it all into one package. That's what I really like about this group and this Overlanding idea. It takes what we all love to do and puts it into one package and puts us in a group where we can all share stories and ideas. It is brilliant.
BROFESSOR,

I'm with you, up until recently I had not heard of the term "overlanding". It really just seems to be all the outdoor activities I love rolled into one! Maybe its something I've done my whole life...I just never labeled it as overlanding.

Interesting thread,

- Tyler

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
I haven't done a whole lot of "overlanding" but I have traveled to the other side of the state (NC) to Black Mountain and planned for a three day trip but the hurricane that came back east prevented us from going home for a week. We were about 30 minutes from any real town and had very limited cell phone service. When we do go to offroading though, we typically plan for a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday trip.

TrippinStfflr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Rock Island, TN, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Stiffler
Full timer? I dont get to go "off roading" very often but we travel full time. The reason I joined was to get some exposure to the off road aspect of overlanding. I would like to do more camping in some of the "off the beaten path" areas.
Its funny to see myself write this. Two years ago I had a 2700sqft home. Two cars in the driveway. Sprinklers turned on at 8pm. Then I asked my wife what she thought about selling it all and traveling. Half expected her to tell me I was crazy. Instead she started pickin out trailers. Kids were already homeschooled so that wasnt an obsticle. Two years later we covered half the country and no sign of slowing down. Gotta love spontaneity!!

Reactions: Daryl 32