Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think these look pretty cool, but I didn't them for the first four years of ownership.

I installed them today because I feel like I crossed a threashold of ... as my wife calls it... "Expensive black crap bolted to your car". I'll soon also have a front ARB Bull bar and i recently finished the rear bumper with dual swing outs (removed right now).

What do you think? Do they actually protect the lights (the LR4 lights are really massive).... do they just look nice? (or do you dislike the look?)

The ones I got are OEM, seem like they flex and will hold up well... let's not talk about the silly accessory prices (ignore that for now.. or at least tell my wife that).

I'd like to avoid mall crawler mods, but I thought these might actually help protect. I do have some scratches on the lights already and with the swing arms and trasharoo etc.. i worry about bumping something into them and crushing a light.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Years ago I thought about those for my FJ... but ultimately decided replacing a taillight was cheaper than doing bodywork.
If there's an impact it is transferred to the body rather than cracking the lens.

Just my 2 cents.
:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Years ago I thought about those for my FJ... but ultimately decided replacing a taillight was cheaper than doing bodywork.
If there's an impact it is transferred to the body rather than cracking the lens.

Just my 2 cents.
:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
I went through the same thaught on my FJ, and did not ever by them.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Looks are one thing, functional is another. that said, I have never been much for them on any vehicle going off road. Have seen to many broken lenses with the guard in ok shape. and sticks/twigs wedged between the guard and lens.

My $.02

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Looks are one thing, functional is another. that said, I have never been much for them on any vehicle going off road. Have seen to many broken lenses with the guard in ok shape. and sticks/twigs wedged between the guard and lens.

My $.02
I thought about that also, but these mount flush to the body and actually have a ramp shape on the leading edge. They don't stick out like the old wire cage type with the gap.

I've been on some forums/communities where people like them and others where people all agree they are not worth it. I am going to try them out for awhile and see how it goes. If they ever become an issue it is easy to remove them.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I thought about that also, but these mount flush to the body and actually have a ramp shape on the leading edge. They don't stick out like the old wire cage type with the gap.

I've been on some forums/communities where people like them and others where people all agree they are not worth it. I am going to try them out for awhile and see how it goes. If they ever become an issue it is easy to remove them.

Rite rite. Cool, Hope they work out for you.

Question for ya?? Are they plastic or alloy? My eyes say an alloy/metal from the looks. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

im in the same fj boat as above. we were actually talking about this today on the trail. the lights on the fj stick out pretty far. further with guards. rather change a lens than pull screws out of the body. pretty sure the impact strength of them is pretty low anyway. i'll save my $200 for something different.

Last edited:

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

I don't think they will protect anything, and may cause more damage.
BUT....I like the look. They look great in your pictures. I say accessorize if you have the money and personalize your rig. It doesn't affect safety or traffic and vehicle regulations. So never mind about thinking you look like a mall crawler, whether it is or not, it's your rig, if you like it do it.
I like the look and your rig.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

I don't think they will protect anything, and may cause more damage.
BUT....I like the look. They look great in your pictures. I say accessorize if you have the money and personalize your rig. It doesn't affect safety or traffic and vehicle regulations. So never mind about thinking you look like a mall crawler, whether it is or not, it's your rig, if you like it do it.
I like the look and your rig.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
I agree with the looks. I think they good, so personally I'd leave them on.

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

I got a chuckle out of the wife's comment about expensive black crap. We all have to admit, I think, there is a certain amount of vanity involved aside from whatever perceived and conjured-up benefit. But then, to one degree or another, vanity is what drives much of our economy ... and, the ladies have their own kind of vanity going. (another chuckle). So I'll join in and say, "Looks good, dude."

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've got them for my JK. They use the same screws holding the tail lights to the body, so they won't really protect them from much of anything. I like the look, so I'll leave them on, even though they stick out a bit and could catch on something that could do some damage.

HU5KRS1

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Lincoln, NE
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Rose
Member #

I agree with a few others on here...I like the looks of them and if you like them I say go with it

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
I've got them on my Discovery and, like you, I think it's mainly aesthetics, at best it will stop a branch scratching the lenses (which is a bonus) or at a very lucky angle one in a million stop a rock/pebble hitting them.

They'd have to be some pretty lucky angles though.

I'm keeping mine on because I do like the look. Also they weren't cheap accessories (£114 GBP / $154 USD) so it seems silly to have them in the garage.

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

I think these look pretty cool, but I didn't them for the first four years of ownership.

I installed them today because I feel like I crossed a threashold of ... as my wife calls it... "Expensive black crap bolted to your car". I'll soon also have a front ARB Bull bar and i recently finished the rear bumper with dual swing outs (removed right now).

What do you think? Do they actually protect the lights (the LR4 lights are really massive).... do they just look nice? (or do you dislike the look?)

The ones I got are OEM, seem like they flex and will hold up well... let's not talk about the silly accessory prices (ignore that for now.. or at least tell my wife that).

I'd like to avoid mall crawler mods, but I thought these might actually help protect. I do have some scratches on the lights already and with the swing arms and trasharoo etc.. i worry about bumping something into them and crushing a light.
I have some guards on my truck. I think they look awesome regardless if they do a ton to actually protect the taillights.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think these are pretty sturdy on the outboard side. I had to drill holes in the body behind the tail lights, and install riv nuts (threaded rivets) for the metal mounts. The guards are a plastic, but its pretty high quality and flexible.

I do like them, so I think they will stay. Once I get my front bumper project done, I will do a photo shoot of this thing. She's going to be mean looking.

Reactions: DanR

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I got a chuckle out of the wife's comment about expensive black crap.
Me too! :p

My opinion is that they are purely for aesthetics and will probably never actualy benefit anyone from a functional standpoint. I have always felt that way. At the same time, I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all! It's the same reason I have a couple of decals and a couple of other appearance mods.

I would never buy them personally, but I bought my Jeep used and it already had them, and I'm not complaning. :p

I think those look good on the rig @Mike Wesner , and agree they go well with the other 'expensive black crap'!