Are 265 Tires hurting my overlanding experience?

• HTML tutorial

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

To clarify my opinion was based on tire size only not manufacturer. I have destroyed every manufacture of tire you can imagine and have no loyalty to any specific one. The OPs question was related to size and I believe my reply was specific to that point. My mistake was to detail my current tire choice and that was not my intent. You all need to improve your reading comprehension and I will work at being more specific in future replies.
I went from stock 265/65/17 Duratracs to 285/70/17 BFG KM3s, and the difference was dramatically noticeable in nearly all terrain, especially when airing down. I have also had far less tire failures due to trail damage on the larger tire than the smaller ones.
I don't think anyone had a problem comprehending your very specific apples to oranges comparison of Duratracs to KM3s. Your later replies added significant amounts of context that was left out of that first reply. No need to insult everyone because they couldn't read your mind.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
OP Q: " Is going to a 285 and getting the body chop on the front going to help me all that much"

Akicita A: Yes it will

@ Renegade . . . what did I miss?
You missed that he never asked about "the suspension and drivetrain", which was a significant part of your answer.

If you configure the suspension and drivetrain to match, you will experience a significant increase in off-road capability going from 265s to 285s.

No worries though.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
To clarify my opinion was based on tire size only not manufacturer. I have destroyed every manufacture of tire you can imagine and have no loyalty to any specific one. The OPs question was related to size and I believe my reply was specific to that point. My mistake was to detail my current tire choice and that was not my intent. You all need to improve your reading comprehension and I will work at being more specific in future replies.
It is the internet. You put too much Thought into it. Then it is wondered why there is a is the forum dying thread.

You made your opinion based on your experience.

Someone else makes their opinion based on their experience.

The fact is no tire size is going to limit you on overlanding.

The fact is everyone's opinion of overlanding changes the tire size needed.

This is one of those you are right but so is he questions.

The best part of the internet is those who chose to continue arguing about being right on a difference of opinion.

Good times

This is not directed at any one member or any one opinion.

Just a factual observation.

I love it

• Love
Reactions: MazeVX and Arailt

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

I don't think anyone had a problem comprehending your very specific apples to oranges comparison of Duratracs to KM3s. Your later replies added significant amounts of context that was left out of that first reply. No need to insult everyone because they couldn't read your mind.
My answer was - " If you configure the suspension and drivetrain to match, you will experience a significant increase in off-road capability going from 265s to 285s" -

Apples to Oranges???? Pretty clear in my opinion. . . you and others chose to make it about manufacturer and tread type only because I made the horrendous public forum mistake of including tire types I used in my lates build . .

Allow me to revise my response:

I respect the number crunchers and opinions of everyone who has replied; however, I am going to opine on my subject matter experience only . . . If you configure the suspension and drivetrain to match, you will experience a significant increase in off-road capability going from 265s to 285s regardless of what manufacturer or tread design you feel is the best for the terrain you will be traveling on off-road.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

My answer was - " If you configure the suspension and drivetrain to match, you will experience a significant increase in off-road capability going from 265s to 285s" -

Apples to Oranges???? Pretty clear in my opinion. . . you and others chose to make it about manufacturer and tread type only because I made the horrendous public forum mistake of including tire types I used in my lates build . .

Allow me to revise my response:

I respect the number crunchers and opinions of everyone who has replied; however, I am going to opine on my subject matter experience only . . . If you configure the suspension and drivetrain to match, you will experience a significant increase in off-road capability going from 265s to 285s regardless of what manufacturer or tread design you feel is the best for the terrain you will be traveling on off-road.
Well now I believe even less that there is any increase in off road performance changing tire size by such a small amount.... I wasn't trying to question your opinion in my first post, I was merely pointing out the drastic difference in the 2 tread designs and tire construction which will affect off road performance as much as tires size. My reasoning for pointing it out was so the OP had something else to look into (tread patterns) other than making a small jump in size that might involve extensive modifications. I don't think posting your tread type was a mistake at all, getting worked up that people disagree with your opinion though isn't a good look and only feeds the trolls that want to argue on the internet. Not what I'm here for I was just trying to help give info to someone asking a question about tires. Also my first line was a joke

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

So, I currently have 265 70R Falken Wildpeaks on 17" Icon Alloys on my 4runner. From time to time I do have tire envy.... but my rig is my daily driver and so far my current tires have served me well. I have armor on the bottom of my vehicle and thankful that I do after some hard hits. Is going to a 285 and getting the body chop on the front going to help me all that much. I'm not a rock crawler kinda guy but I want my rig to take me out and back in one piece.
TLDR:

Going from 265/70r17 to 285/70r17 in the same tire/same load rating (Wildpeak) will very likely make no noticeable difference off road (you'll gain like 1/2" of clearance). 285s are heavier and slightly taller, so factor that into your DD mileage (if you care).

If you don't care about mileage and you really just want the better look of the 285s, go for it. A cab mount chop isn't expensive, invasive, or difficult to do, so don't let that be your limiting factor.

Reactions: Kona Rig

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

This is getting out of hand, guys what's going on with you?
DevilDodge gave you a hint but it got ignored.
The thread opener got all the information he needed and twice as much opinions as he probably wanted, no it's time to go out a ruin some tires, scratch some skidplates and enjoy the great outdoors.