Arches Utah

• HTML tutorial

Derek50

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Member #

Planning a trip to Arches National park in October. Planning on camping, hiking, fishing and just relaxing after a busy summer. Never planned a trip like this (done plenty of trips to cities and other touristy junk) so I'm looking for some advice.

It'll be me and a buddy going. Unfortunately neither of our vehicles are set up for the slick rock at Moab otherwise we'd definitely be doing that. Any ideas on good places to camp? Which hiking trails are a must do? Any good fishing areas? Any advice is welcomed!

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

Planning a trip to Arches National park in October. Planning on camping, hiking, fishing and just relaxing after a busy summer. Never planned a trip like this (done plenty of trips to cities and other touristy junk) so I'm looking for some advice.

It'll be me and a buddy going. Unfortunately neither of our vehicles are set up for the slick rock at Moab otherwise we'd definitely be doing that. Any ideas on good places to camp? Which hiking trails are a must do? Any good fishing areas? Any advice is welcomed!
Hmmmmm there is some good fishing there but depending where you camp how much of a drive to get to the spots will take if Fly fishing Colorado river is good but you need to "know" the area for good results then there is Ken's Lake for Trout fishing and is best if you have a small boat or float tube shore fishing is do able just seems to me be slow. then there is Mill Creek great trout there and that is a fly fishing area but it does have a lot of pressure in the area (People lots of People everywhere) and if you really want a good away from the mainstream there is Warner and OOwah Lakes La Sal mountains just a bit outside of Moab if you think of going there do your homework carefully on that area it is one awesome location and it is open now, at the end of July it was still closed due to the snow...... and Camping there is great very cold at night tho

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

There is free camping off the willow springs road with vault toilets. And if you continue down the willow springs 4x4 road (a couple of minor obstacles but nothing crazy) you’ll arrive at the arches back entrance. It skips the line to get in the Park, and you can hit the gift shop and pay your entrance fee on the way out. One of my all-time favorite hikes is the primitive loop in arches. Once you hike past landscape arch there are few people and the trail takes you over fins and through unique terrain to a bunch of other arches. Depending on your goals I also recommend taking a day to explore the Island in the Sky district at Canyonlands. The Gemini bridges road (graded/easy—I’ve seen plenty of Subaru’s and crossovers on it) is one of the most scenic approaches to Canyonlands. That’s where you’ll find the iconic Mesa Arch viewpoint and some other cool spots. The Aztec ruins hiking trail is surprisingly fun. Anyways, that’s my 2 cents.