Ben
Last Name
Corbisiero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC2WAO
Service Branch
USCG
Good afternoon I need some help wiring my ARB Switch, anyone in the Santa Rosa CA area have any experience? Im stumped. I've watched a ton of you tube videos and still can't figure it out. Let me know Thanks a lot.

Reactions: Ubiety

Mlbdriver

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tuckerton, NJ, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Corbisiero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC2WAO
Service Branch
USCG
the rocker/power switch I have an aftermarket switch from RAGO that fits my Tacoma

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It will take some thinking and planning on your part heck i got a headache just coming up with that basic sketch. Basically take the instructions that came with the compressor and omit everything you dont plan on using.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Wired ARB single to Voswitch switchbox a couple days ago - no air lockers, just compressor functionality for airing up
Did not need secondary wiring harness so it’s in the box (the one that would run into the switches in the cab)
Thick black and thick red to battery, thin black to battery - per instructions.
Compressor power cable/fitting to compressor power fitting.
High pressure cutoff leads to pressure switch mounted to compressor - does not matter what connector each is connected to.
On the opposite end of the main cable the thin red wire goes to your switch that provides +12v

Easy to test. Wire up compressor and pressure switch to connectors per instructions. Temporarily - run reds mentioned to positive battery, run blacks mentioned to negative battery. Should run compressor until pressure switch kicks in and stops it. If you do the same without connecting thin red to +12v the compressor should not run. You can connect your air hose to get a longer run time before pressure switch trips.

If your setup is similar to mine the thin red wire is the important one to wire to your switch that provides +12v. Since I am not using air lockers or the cool ARB lighted toggle switch I used no other connections - isolated them with electrical tape and wrapped them with tape to harness.

Edit - after rereading above I see that you are using a lighted switch and @Boostpowered provides a great schematic for that setup. Since I have the Voswitch I just ran the thin red wire to it for +12v (or not) and use its remote switches in the cab. Took me a bit to figure it out and it works well.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Mlbdriver

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tuckerton, NJ, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Corbisiero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC2WAO
Service Branch
USCG
this is what I'm working with do I still need a relay or do I need a different switch all together? thanks again for your help.

Attachments

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
If you followed what @Boostpowered or I recommended then you will need that inline relay provided with the compressor. The thin red will energize the relay to allow juice to flow through the thick wires from battery to compressor. You should not need any other external relay.

Reactions: Ursa Major

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
Yes, you MUST use a relay or risk burning up your truck. Frankly--and I mean no insult--you need to get local help. We've all been at that level of ignorance at some point but trying to wire it without understanding how/why a relay is necessary is asking for trouble. Compressors pull a lot of current that you don't want running through a dash switch.

Reactions: M Rose

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I am assuming a few things:
1. You are wiring a CKMA12 compressor
2. You have the ARB harness that comes with the compressor
3. This is the wiring diagram for your Rago switch
Screenshot_20210107-145107.png

Even though the ARB harness has extra wiring for lockers it doesn't sound like you are using, you can still utilize the harness. Attach the ARB "Isolation Switch" wires to the Rago switch pigtail as follows:

ARB -> Rago
Red-Yel -> (#1) Green
Red -> (#2) Red 1
Blu-Wht -> (#3) Red 2
Blk -> (#4) Black

IMG_20210107_150029.jpg

Tape off (with electrical tape) and secure the unused portions of the ARB harness: Switch 2, Switch 1, Solenoid 2 and Solenoid 1.