Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Has anyone watched the Long Way Around, Long way down, and Long Way Up series on Apple TV? Now for those who know what I'm talking about - On the Long Way Down Series in (Filmed in 07) does anyone know what RTT's they are have mounted on the support rigs? I just wrapped up two of the 3 series and I found myself looking at KTM 450 to bring along on some over landing adventures. Interesting to see if anyone here does the cross country bike trips, what gear you might use, and if you have any pics please share them with the team

Thanks

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I watched Long Way Around and Long Way Up, haven't seen Long Way Down, yet. I watched more for the motorcycles so don't have a clue about the tents used.

With regards to moto-camping, small and light are more important than with autos, SUVs, and trucks. Those adventure bikes are pigs, and strapping on gear just makes them worse.

I ride a DR-Z400S and I'm prepping it for moto-camping. This picture (that's me standing there, and my bike is on the left) pretty much shows how it sits with the luggage attached, although its empty. There's roughly 70L of storage there.

IMG_1676.jpg

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Never really paid much attention to the support vehicles when I watched but I haven't seen the newest one because it got such horrid reviews from the adv bike crowd which I used to be heavily involved in.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Never really paid much attention to the support vehicles when I watched but I haven't seen the newest one because it got such horrid reviews from the adv bike crowd which I used to be heavily involved in.
The one with the electric vehicles? I liked it. Not sure why ADV riders wouldn't like this particular series. It's not really any different other than the fact the vehicles are electrified.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The one with the electric vehicles? I liked it. Not sure why ADV riders wouldn't like this particular series. It's not really any different other than the fact the vehicles are electrified.
Like I said haven't watched it but people were turned off (so to speak) by the focus on simply trying to find places to charge the bikes. Instead of camping in out of the way spots they had to do a lot more preplanning to find out where they could charge the bikes at night. Apparently there was some goofy bus they built at some point along the way, skipped Columbia, flew across Guatamela? Basically those are the gripes I saw the most, it wasn't anything like the previous shows except for they were on bikes. Overproduced is a word I saw typed more than once.

I'll probably scope it out eventually but I saw enough negative reviews on it from the motorcycle/adv bike world that it made me not worry about seeing it right away.

Reactions: grubworm

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Like I said haven't watched it but people were turned off (so to speak) by the focus on simply trying to find places to charge the bikes. Instead of camping in out of the way spots they had to do a lot more preplanning to find out where they could charge the bikes at night. Apparently there was some goofy bus they built at some point along the way, skipped Columbia, flew across Guatamela? Basically those are the gripes I saw the most, it wasn't anything like the previous shows except for they were on bikes. Overproduced is a word I saw typed more than once.

I'll probably scope it out eventually but I saw enough negative reviews on it from the motorcycle/adv bike world that it made me not worry about seeing it right away.

Yeah, pretty much all of that did happen. But, to me, that is what the show is about. To me, it's about the journey and the experiences encountered along the way, not so much about the mode of travel.

Reactions: jeepers29

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Yeah, pretty much all of that did happen. But, to me, that is what the show is about. To me, it's about the journey and the experiences encountered along the way, not so much about the mode of travel.
I thought it was cool that the chase vehicles and bikes were all 1st time proto types.

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

All were fun to watch, as stated above the Electric Bikes were OK and the tech was pretty good. But it did end up getting off track at the end,

The first 2 were pretty awesome, Claudio was amazng in all of them. Great rainy day videos.......

I have 50 years riding behind me so I really appreciate what they did and where they did it in all 3 adventures.

Jeff

Reactions: Downs